AlcoDventurer

Oddometer: 45

Old 05-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #42317
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR View Post
BTW, I am back, the stable has a XRL in it again.
Didn't notice you were gone
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #42318
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
[QUOTE=onaXR;18671075]BTW, I am back, the stable has a XRL in it again.
[/QUOTE

Look what you started! Don't bail on us again
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #42319
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
[QUOTE=mendoteach;18671766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR View Post
BTW, I am back, the stable has a XRL in it again.
[/QUOTE

Look what you started! Don't bail on us again
Prolly wont, I have missed the red piggy.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #42320
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,671
No flat tire this time?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #42321
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Put a tool tube on the skidplate yesterday, tested it out on a ride today, complete with lay down in a moss covered water crossing a couple inches deep. Seems to work fine. I'm not sure I'm happy with the mounting system though. I used three of those hose clamps that tighten when you tighten a screw, and simply ran them through the holes in the front of the XRs Only skidplate. They're kinda ugly and I'm not sure how sturdy they really are.

3" black ABS pipe. One end is just a glued on cap, the opening end is something called a test check valve or something similar. As you tighten down the red/pink part it expands a rubber piece inside the tube and seals it. Seems water tight, and seems like it will stay in pretty well until you loosen it. The whole assembly is a little wider than the skidplate, but not nearly as wide as the pegs/pedals. Great for all the wrenches and pliers and such, but not enough room for a patch kit or spare tubes.

Also, I think my chain is about done. Halfway through the ride this morning it was way too slack, so I took it up a couple notches to 27 on the stock snails. Checked it again 10 miles later and it was way slack again. Looking on XRs only, I am planning on

RK 520 chain 110 link -
http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-par...g-520xso-chain

I need 110 links right? This will go right on with no removing of links needed?

PBI Aluminum rear sprocket 45 tooth -
http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-par...r-91-up-xr650l

With this back sprocket, is the aluminum any weaker/more likely to wear than the steel? I'd read the aluminum is good because it's lighter, and so less unsprung/rotational mass, but didn't know if the steel would get me more strength and longer life.

PBI front sprocket 15 tooth -
http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-par...r-91-up-xr650l

With this front sprocket, it says it fits the 600R as well as the 650L. Is this the wider 600R countershaft sprocket that I need to install to keep from getting spline wear? Also I figure I'll stick with the stock number of teeth front and back.

Do I need to get something to protect the rear sprocket? I have a shark fin for the brake side, but don't see anything to guard the rear sprocket on XRsonly.

Thanks in advance for the answers. This picture doesn't show it very well, but San Diego is visible in the background here

Old 05-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #42322
bp_josh
Adventurer

After searching around and reading through sprocket discussions, I'm wondering if I should go to a 14t front sprocket. How much will I lose off the top end if I do that? I can hit 85 easily right now with a little left, which is faster than I need to go, so I'm thinking maybe it'll be worth losing some to get more low end. It's not 1st I'm worried about, but 2nd is high enough right now that it's hard to do much in 2nd without lugging pretty badly, even when 1st is a bit too slow.

Will going to a 14t mean I need a shorter chain? Or still 110?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #42323
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,187
Sprocket

BP,

Get a steel rear sprocket. An aluminum rear on the XRL will NOT last very long. And if your worried that a steel sprocket weighs much more than the steel DON'T. Is is a non issue.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #42324
mx760
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Richloam area Ride

Some photos from recent rides in the Richloam area of the the Withlacoochee State forest

Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #42325
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_josh View Post
Put a tool tube on the skidplate yesterday, tested it out on a ride today, complete with lay down in a moss covered water crossing a couple inches deep. Seems to work fine. I'm not sure I'm happy with the mounting system though. I used three of those hose clamps that tighten when you tighten a screw, and simply ran them through the holes in the front of the XRs Only skidplate. They're kinda ugly and I'm not sure how sturdy they really are.

3" black ABS pipe. One end is just a glued on cap, the opening end is something called a test check valve or something similar. As you tighten down the red/pink part it expands a rubber piece inside the tube and seals it. Seems water tight, and seems like it will stay in pretty well until you loosen it. The whole assembly is a little wider than the skidplate, but not nearly as wide as the pegs/pedals. Great for all the wrenches and pliers and such, but not enough room for a patch kit or spare tubes.

Looks to me like the clamps are holding up better than the plastic tube. Seriously those clamps are pretty strong. I doubt you will have a problem. Plus it is easy enough to carry a couple spares.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #42326
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
OK, so now I am starting to wonder alot here WTF is going on.
I htink I am missing the problem. This all started with my son running his 1995 w/11500miles bike low on oil ( he had about 1/4 quartd in the thing). It still ran but was really ticking. We took the motor out and sent it to CW. I do not know what looked bad yet. I need to talk with CW. about that.

Meanwhile I took my motor out of my 93 w/8500miles. H erode it to school for a few weeks. Everything ws good. Then it started to make a ticking noise again that was rather loud. Obviously coming from the valve area. OK we said. it must be the valves needs adjusting. Not having done that on these bikes I made sure we had all the information and tools required then we did the adjusting. Sounded much better. Great.
That lasted about a week or 200miles. Now the ticking is back and louder. I have readjusted the valves. The ticking is still there.

The two things that are the same with both motors is the frame and oil lines and my son. I am wondering about an oiling issue to the valve train? is it riding style? He is new to riding.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Pinched the lower tube going into the motor-

Damage report-
Cam
Rockers
Head-center cam journel is bad now

Cost for lesson is not going to be priceless. BOOHOO
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #42327
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
... ... ....is there a chance you may have the banjo bolts reversed on the oil lines? I believe the bolt with the bigger holes goes on the bottom ... .... ...
Glad I noticed this post, I had them around the other way, I didn't realize they were different!

Thanks
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #42328
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
How about a smokey burnout on the hardwood floors? Ahhh the single life

Having been through a divorce myself that is some funny shit right there!!!! Especially if she's getting the house.

John
Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #42329
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
BP,

Get a steel rear sprocket. An aluminum rear on the XRL will NOT last very long. And if your worried that a steel sprocket weighs much more than the steel DON'T. Is is a non issue.
I couldn't agree more. I don't even use ali on my moto bike. Check out Iroman's offerings. Steel an light.

http://www.dirttricks.com/ordering_sprockets.htm

I use a 15/48 combo and it works well. Slightly taller than a 14/45 set up.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #42330
bp_josh
Adventurer

Wait, isn't 15/48 even higher gearing than 15/45? Or is more teeth on the rear same as fewer teeth on the front? I think I'd like a bit more oomph lower down but don't want to sacrifice too much freeway speed. And if I do the 14/45 or 15/48 do I still get the 110 link chain? This is my first chain and sprocket replacement so I'm in new territory.