Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #42541
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,343
I finally wore my Michelin T-63 down enough to replace it, looks to be about 1600 miles and might have gone a couple hundred more but I'm looking at a 70+ ride to my worksite and time off back road explorations so I decided it was best to start with fresh tires. I spooned on the Metzler Uni-Cross a couple weeks ago and Saturday the Pirielli MT-43.
First impressions are wow the MT-43 is tall compared to the worn out Michelin, good thing I'm tall.
The first ride on a new tire is always interesting especially with one thats got such varied reviews as the MT-43, some say it'll run 5000 miles and stick so good it'll be like cheating, others say it'll break loose into unrecoverable slides or spit all the knobs off in short order.
Yesterday I rode about 100 miles of pavement and 25 miles of gravel roads to check just see.
First impressions are that it sticks a whole better on wet cold pavement than the Michelin ever did, I chalked this up to having much more rubber in contact with the road. Same thing with braking, the Michilin or any knobbie would howl under hard braking but not so the Pirelli.
Next I rode some gravel and as long as I kept my speeds sensible the tire hooked up real well but at about 60 mph I could feel that the rear had floated up on top of the gravel and the ride got squirrely. I slowed down and the bike settled right down. I ride mostly by myself so don't push the envelope much anyways.
I did some wet grass/soft ground starts, with a knobbie I could just dump the clutch and let'er spin and it would plow a trench getting moving, with the MT if I did that it just spun, but if I eased the clutch out and let the tire hook up it would just pull out.
Overall impressions are that if I can get at least a couple thousand miles out of the Pirelli, I might just have found the 50/50 tire I've been looking for.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #42542
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
I thought the XRL was a good bike overall, but hadn't handled it in any deep sand.. well, if you've ridden an XRL in deep sand, you know how it handles.
I rode the El Camino Del Diablo (read: 100 miles of sand) with 18# in the front tire. Turned around the next day and rode it the other way, but being paranoid about pinch flats, I pumped up to 22#. The difference was profound. The bad handling changed to horrible. I can't express how much difference tire pressure makes in the sand. The dilemma is that such a heavy bike needs more in the tire than a lighter bike to keep the rim off the rocks.

Engine braking and weak front suspension (which also characterize the XRL) make sand riding a challenge as well
EsconDeasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #42543
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
LOVE sand, LOVE sand Just twist that right wrist, keep up shifting, loosen your grip, sit back & watch your buddies go by as you pass them
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #42544
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Amen to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
LOVE sand, LOVE sand Just twist that right wrist, keep up shifting, loosen your grip, sit back & watch your buddies go by as you pass them
accept the drift... you forgot that
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #42545
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
accept the drift... you forgot that
I get your drift
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #42546
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,207
Boots

Not to drift off topic but....

I have had it with getting wet feet while I ride, what kind of waterproof boots do you guys ride with or recommend?

-Barron
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #42547
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Not to drift off topic but....

I have had it with getting wet feet while I ride, what kind of waterproof boots do you guys ride with or recommend?

-Barron
Sidi Crossfire SRS. Best I have ever had.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #42548
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,343
I wear Sidi Discovery Boots, they are water proof.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #42549
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,676
Waterproof boots are great unless / until you go in water over the top or it soaks ur pants and runs down into the boot..Waterproof works both ways they fill up with water and dont let any out until you take them off and flip them over and tale a long time to dry out
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #42550
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Waterproof boots are great unless / until you go in water over the top or it soaks ur pants and runs down into the boot..Waterproof works both ways they fill up with water and dont let any out until you take them off and flip them over and tale a long time to dry out
Yeah I know that one first hand. When the Navy went to it's newest uniforms one of them has that specific issue. One of the types of boots we could get were Goretex lined so since I stand watch outside where it seemed like a good idea to get something to keep my feet dry. The uniform also comes with a goretex jacket and hood, so if it's raining your top will be dry but your pants soak up the rain and quickly deposit the water in your boots. Great. Now I guess there is an option out there for commands to get some overpants, but I haven't seen any in use yet.

-Barron
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #42551
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
I finally wore my Michelin T-63 down enough to replace it, looks to be about 1600 miles and might have gone a couple hundred more but I'm looking at a 70+ ride to my worksite and time off back road explorations so I decided it was best to start with fresh tires. I spooned on the Metzler Uni-Cross a couple weeks ago and Saturday the Pirielli MT-43.
First impressions are wow the MT-43 is tall compared to the worn out Michelin, good thing I'm tall.
The first ride on a new tire is always interesting especially with one thats got such varied reviews as the MT-43, some say it'll run 5000 miles and stick so good it'll be like cheating, others say it'll break loose into unrecoverable slides or spit all the knobs off in short order.
Yesterday I rode about 100 miles of pavement and 25 miles of gravel roads to check just see.
First impressions are that it sticks a whole better on wet cold pavement than the Michelin ever did, I chalked this up to having much more rubber in contact with the road. Same thing with braking, the Michilin or any knobbie would howl under hard braking but not so the Pirelli.
Next I rode some gravel and as long as I kept my speeds sensible the tire hooked up real well but at about 60 mph I could feel that the rear had floated up on top of the gravel and the ride got squirrely. I slowed down and the bike settled right down. I ride mostly by myself so don't push the envelope much anyways.
I did some wet grass/soft ground starts, with a knobbie I could just dump the clutch and let'er spin and it would plow a trench getting moving, with the MT if I did that it just spun, but if I eased the clutch out and let the tire hook up it would just pull out.
Overall impressions are that if I can get at least a couple thousand miles out of the Pirelli, I might just have found the 50/50 tire I've been looking for.
thats a little more mileage than me....t63 wise

I used it till I had 4mm knobs, after that only on street to get from point a to b

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #42552
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
see!

x2

down on tire pressures to 8-10 psi out back

just sit back and ass on fender, nomofre pushing wallowing etc...

nothing like being on the beach next to the swells and waves playing around trying to not get saltwater or wet, then carving some nice curves on the mini dunes up above....endless amazing awe....

its even better at speed say 70mph when you can loft the wheel after a little dune...

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!

next best thing, crossing small river "estuaries" on or around the beach.....endless pools of fun!:
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #42553
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Sidi Crossfire SRS. Best I have ever had.
Gaerene SG-10 and 12s are up there too. I have 10s and they are incredibly comfy and supportive. I think the 12s have replaced them. I won't ever buy a non ankle pivoted boot again. My Tech 8s were crap compared to my Gaernes. Fox has a new pivoted boot out as well. There is 5 or so pivoted designs on the now.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #42554
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
See, the XRL in the sand wouldn't be terrible if I could point it in one direction and twist. The dunes would be great. On twisted sandy two track, its constant bar turning in the sand in high first or low second. Fuck that. LOL.

the guy that let me try his katoom used to own an XR600R and he even it sucked. Haha
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #42555
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Most important thing I found on the pig in the sand (after GAS IT) is that if you are not hard on the gas you must dither the front wheel back and forth (slowly wiggle the bars) to keep the front wheel from digging a death-trench that it and the rear wheel would follow, leading to the front end digging in and dumping you over.