ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #43666
EpHu
TRX-Rider
 
EpHu's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Russia-21
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It works!

hotstart cable in the choke hole
what are the settings
the level of fuel
jets?
__________________
My current motorcycle. =)
EpHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #43667
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain
 
KyoXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: CA
Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It works!

hotstart cable in the choke hole
details please...
__________________
2007 XR650L,
Looking to acquire a stock XRL choke plunger.
The multi-quote function is your friend.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #43668
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Hello gents,

I am debating removing the tank decal and putting something else on it. Any ideas on how best to remove the OEM decal? I was thinking about a heat gun then wondered if it would cause the gas fumes to explode.

Thoughts?
Try the stuff on the right.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #43669
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
details please...
The stock XRL choke cable exits the carb straight which would make it stick out way too far if you used it on a FCR (plungers are the same though). The hotstart cable from a CRF250 or CRF450 come out of the carb and do a 90 degree bend. The plungers (on my FCR) for the hotstart and choke are the same diameter, but one is a tad bit longer than the other.... but they seem to be interchangeable (I have swapped them around with no ill effects). So... I eBayed a CRF450 hotstart cable and screwed it into the choke port on the FCR and connected the other end to the stock choke lever on the bars. I now have a bar mounted choke for the FCR.

I have tried the "give it a squirt" and hit the starter method and it doesn't always work great when the bike's cold. I get better results using the choke (keeps the idle up also). This makes the morning drill much easier.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #43670
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpHu View Post
what are the settings
the level of fuel
jets?
NJGR needle (clip in top slot)
Main: 165
Pilot: 42

A TT member uses the following with good results (actually a better solution than mine as this needle is a straight taper so it has no "bumps" in fuel delivery)
Needle: NCVT (Second from the top)
Main: 158
Pilot: 40
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #43671
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan
 
xj750guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta "Wildrose Country" Canada
Oddometer: 99
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Thanks all for the vids, and hints on changing Tube Tires.

Went out last night with 3 tire spoons, baby powder, soap and water, and a better attitude.....

No problems........MT21 Front D952 Rear........Mountains here I come.

__________________
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail
xj750guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #43672
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj750guy View Post
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Thanks all for the vids, and hints on changing Tube Tires.

Went out last night with 3 tire spoons, baby powder, soap and water, and a better attitude.....

No problems........MT21 Front D952 Rear........Mountains here I come.
awesome dude! pics and ride reports on the tires is all we ask in return! jajaja

ride safe
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #43673
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan
 
xj750guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta "Wildrose Country" Canada
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
awesome dude! pics and ride reports on the tires is all we ask in return! jajaja
Yeah....it does look good......and will definitely "get me there" now........but.......pics will have to wait

.....at least XR pics

I leave first thing tomorrow morning on a 5 day sportbike trip through some of the best twisties Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and a smidge of Washington have to offer.

I just bought a new Canon S100, so I might try my hand at a "Mini" ride report (but on road).

Regards
Darryl
__________________
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail
xj750guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #43674
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj750guy View Post
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Thanks all for the vids, and hints on changing Tube Tires.

Went out last night with 3 tire spoons, baby powder, soap and water, and a better attitude.....

No problems........MT21 Front D952 Rear........Mountains here I come.

Now do a 140-series MT-21 or a terrorflex, just remember to wipe the blood of the keyboard when you're done!
__________________
---->>Thanks for the rotor, guys!<<----
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #43675
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It works!

hotstart cable in the choke hole
Hold the presses! The ride to work this morning revealed that more work needs to be done. The bike starts great, but doesn't seem to carberate quite right once it gets up to temperature. The choke is not closing all the way. I have to see if I can adjust the cable enough to get it right. It might be the plunger length. More to follow.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #43676
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan
 
xj750guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta "Wildrose Country" Canada
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Now do a 140-series MT-21 or a terrorflex, just remember to wipe the blood of the keyboard when you're done!
I'm sure that would be very true........
__________________
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail
xj750guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #43677
ShooterDave
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Caliscrewitself
Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj750guy View Post
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Thanks all for the vids, and hints on changing Tube Tires.

Went out last night with 3 tire spoons, baby powder, soap and water, and a better attitude.....

No problems........MT21 Front D952 Rear........Mountains here I come.
Good thing it wasn't a MT21 REAR. Those things are a BITCH. Both times I've run one in the rear I've had to run over it with my truck in order to break the bead. Not a good thing if you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere. Never running a MT21 rear again.
__________________
My Lower 48+ ride on my XR650L - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565350

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #43678
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan
 
xj750guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta "Wildrose Country" Canada
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Good thing it wasn't a MT21 REAR. Those things are a BITCH. Both times I've run one in the rear I've had to run over it with my truck in order to break the bead. Not a good thing if you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere. Never running a MT21 rear again.
I'm sure you're right, but have trouble thinking that the MT21 could be much stiffer than that D952......wow!

Truth be known, the bead breaking and removal was the easy part. The issue I had was getting the opposite side bead to stay "down in the rim" as I was installing the new rubber. The big fresh lugs on the 952 sure can cut up knees! I need to try a Bead Buddy
__________________
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail
xj750guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #43679
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer
 
smokeeater495's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: N.E. Indiana
Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
The stock XRL choke cable exits the carb straight which would make it stick out way too far if you used it on a FCR (plungers are the same though). The hotstart cable from a CRF250 or CRF450 come out of the carb and do a 90 degree bend. The plungers (on my FCR) for the hotstart and choke are the same diameter, but one is a tad bit longer than the other.... but they seem to be interchangeable (I have swapped them around with no ill effects). So... I eBayed a CRF450 hotstart cable and screwed it into the choke port on the FCR and connected the other end to the stock choke lever on the bars. I now have a bar mounted choke for the FCR.

I have tried the "give it a squirt" and hit the starter method and it doesn't always work great when the bike's cold. I get better results using the choke (keeps the idle up also). This makes the morning drill much easier.
What year cable?
__________________
Harley, been there done that. Don't want to be a pirate.
smokeeater495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #43680
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
What year cable?
2005, I checked fiche before I went shopping and I think all years are the same. 250 and 450
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014