Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #46816
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
I'm hoping the bit about "in excess of 80 decibels" was a typo! Their link to the full bill was dead, and google only found something about window stickers under New York law vehicles, 416-a, so that could very well just be something the article author put in. In the snippet they quoted it does at least specify "motorcycles equipped with straight pipes".

When I was noodling around trying to make my stock muffler sound good, the pure stock with insert and everything was right around 86 decibels at 3000 RPM (measured at 1 meter, 45 degrees off-axis, just like most dual sport rides specify.) Nowhere near the 94 decibel cap that was stated for most New England rides I went on. For those less familiar with the decibel scale, an increase of 2-3 decibels is considered audible difference to the average listener, 6 decibels is double. So 92 decibels would be twice as loud as 86, for instance, and 80 would be half as loud! That's a pretty difficult figure to attain without significant restriction.

As to straight pipes folks getting a hefty fine - I'm all for it! Pisses me right off when I'm in the middle of a nice quiet section of music or movie and some jackass comes by the house playing whacky-wrist. It's a stinkin' residential street, not some twisty canyon road, moron!
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #46817
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,149
Can anybody explain my hankering for one of these things? I know they're big, heavy, out of date technology-wise, slow (yeah, I said it), and ugly...
But I just can't shake the urge...
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #46818
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
RallyRaid Fairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
Nice looking bike! Where did you get that front cowl form?
It's a RallyRaid fairing. I just looked on their website, but it doesn't show it. They are in England, cost was around $95.00 and shipping it here was almost as much.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #46819
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=techforlife;19658518]
Are you planing on using the other rotor.........putting dual calipers on the front,if not i`d toss the other rotor..loks great though...nice job..

Good eye, Brian. When I put those wheels on the stock L forks, the right side of the wheel looked funny with only the mounting protrusions for the rotor showing. They stick out pretty far from the center of the wheel. So I just threw a rotor on that side to make it look balanced. I've thought about adding the other caliper, but with the price of Ohlins forks, it may not become a reality. In looking at the left fork with the caliper mount, using it on the right side would involve quite a bit of modification, but it's still an idea.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #46820
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Put the choke on a touch. If it improves, you need to raise the needle.
Thanks Mendo. I tried that too but no effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
unless my memory is falty,i have been drinkin.........surging means lean......try it with the side cover off,,if it`s better,,it was rich...worse it was lean..

B
Lean is what I'm thinking too. On the pilot I'm guessing. There must be quite a bit of flow difference between the uni and the K&N to cause this much difference. Gotta love CV carbs.

John
Old 09-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #46821
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Thanks Mendo. I tried that too but no effect.

Lean is what I'm thinking too. On the pilot I'm guessing. There must be quite a bit of flow difference between the uni and the K&N to cause this much difference. Gotta love CV carbs.

John

I've got it. Use an OE paper filter...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #46822
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
Can anybody explain my hankering for one of these things? I know they're big, heavy, out of date technology-wise, slow (yeah, I said it), and ugly...
One what...........this ain`t the KLR thread........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #46823
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts_4x View Post
It will go in front of the engine on the crash bar. The concept was borrowed from another member on here (and a few other sites) but I decided to make mine a little different. I'll post pictures when the bike goes back together in a few weeks. Have quite enough red on the bike I think its getting flat black header paint.

-scott
Painting it will reduce the effectiveness of the cooler... Here's a pic of mine FWIW...

-Barron
Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #46824
Motor2of7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
It's a RallyRaid fairing. I just looked on their website, but it doesn't show it. They are in England, cost was around $95.00 and shipping it here was almost as much.
Looks like they completely revamped their web site in the last week or so. They seem to be focusing on KTM bikes. I just bought one for my XRL, I bet if you emailed them they could come up with one. Paul was very helpful.

Olderslowerguy, your fairing mounting looks very vertical. Was this a style choice or is there something in the fairing design that prevented you from leaning it back a bit?

Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is not our friend.
Motor2of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #46825
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
New riding buddy, he's a little beast on an Xr, thought I could outlast him but my butt was screaming for a better seat long before he was ready for a break.

[IMG][/IMG]
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #46826
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,710
The CV carb is very finicky about airflow and turbulence. There are combinations of filter, washer, spring, and drilling I am convinced that will always give grief no matter how the jetting is tweaked.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #46827
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
One of these things??!!? Big, heavy, slow and ugly. Try not to drool too much.

John
Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #46828
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The CV carb is very finicky about airflow and turbulence. There are combinations of filter, washer, spring, and drilling I am convinced that will always give grief no matter how the jetting is tweaked.
I think you may be right about that. Only reason I put the K&N in is I didn't have a clean uni. It surprised me the difference it made just in the one throttle position.

John
Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #46829
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
I'm hoping the bit about "in excess of 80 decibels" was a typo! Their link to the full bill was dead, and google only found something about window stickers under New York law vehicles, 416-a, so that could very well just be something the article author put in. In the snippet they quoted it does at least specify "motorcycles equipped with straight pipes".

When I was noodling around trying to make my stock muffler sound good, the pure stock with insert and everything was right around 86 decibels at 3000 RPM (measured at 1 meter, 45 degrees off-axis, just like most dual sport rides specify.) Nowhere near the 94 decibel cap that was stated for most New England rides I went on. For those less familiar with the decibel scale, an increase of 2-3 decibels is considered audible difference to the average listener, 6 decibels is double. So 92 decibels would be twice as loud as 86, for instance, and 80 would be half as loud! That's a pretty difficult figure to attain without significant restriction.
I'm pretty sure that the 80 decibels limit is not a typo. The sound test for the EPA stamp is considerably different the one you did. It has been year since I read how it was done, So I won't try to post that here. I would probably be wrong. In the EPA test the meter is a lot farther from the bike, and the angle is probably different also. The difference in the test accounts for the lower decibels. The XRL with stock pipe meets the EPA's 80 decibels limit or it would not have the EPA stamp on the muffler and could not be sold new as a street legal bike in the USA.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #46830
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor2of7 View Post

Olderslowerguy, your fairing mounting looks very vertical. Was this a style choice or is there something in the fairing design that prevented you from leaning it back a bit?
You are correct...I had to make a bracket to attach to the CRF upper triple to mount the headlight assembly to. That moved the entire assembly forward about 2". I made a new lower bracket that the bottom of the fairing fits in to, and just didn't make it come out away from the lower triple far enough. As it sits in the picture, the headlight shines on the ground too close to the bike. I made an adjustment to the lower bracket this morning, the fairing now sits with more of an angle to it.