Oddometer: 903
I couldn't get through the beginning!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #47613
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
I sold my Buell and now the closest thing I have to a street bike is the XR650L. On that XR I've got a good seat, luggage and large tank. I've also got low gearing (but I've got stock sprocket and chain in a box)... I've never rode it with stock gearing. How does the XRL do on the highway (65 mph) with stock gearing?

Tolerable for a whole day? Maybe even enjoyable? I ask because I take a roadtrip every year with buddies. Its mostly highway and secondary roads for about 200-300 miles a day.

I know its not going to be near the experience of the Ulysses or Versys, but if they're enjoyable on a twisty road then it just might be worth it for the trip.

Opinions? Experiences?
I use stock gearing for all my highway travel one 100 miles. Then when I get to the trail I just change the front sprocket to a 14 tooth. i have done a 500 mile day of both highway and dirt with stock gearing. i was able to keep it at 70 to 75 all day with no problems.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #47614
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
I sold my Buell and now the closest thing I have to a street bike is the XR650L. On that XR I've got a good seat, luggage and large tank. I've also got low gearing (but I've got stock sprocket and chain in a box)... I've never rode it with stock gearing. How does the XRL do on the highway (65 mph) with stock gearing?

Tolerable for a whole day? Maybe even enjoyable? I ask because I take a roadtrip every year with buddies. Its mostly highway and secondary roads for about 200-300 miles a day.

I know its not going to be near the experience of the Ulysses or Versys, but if they're enjoyable on a twisty road then it just might be worth it for the trip.

Opinions? Experiences?
In my opinion. 65 to 70 is the best speed range with stock gearing. The XRL can drone along all day at those seeds on the slab, I did 810 miles one day, but it's not what it is good at. The short wheelbase lets it wander. Wind gust and truck blasts blow it around. Where it shines is in the twisties. It's as much fun there as any bike I have owned. And if that twisty mountain road suddenly turns to gravel, oh well who cares, it is still fun. And that is why I still own mine and why I pick it when I go on a road trip.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #47615
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
ThumpnRed, what are your thoughts about getting the motio pro set-up?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #47616
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
And thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #47617
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Like an Old Friend

I took the XRL out today after spending the last few days with the new kid on the block my XRR. I was really excited with the XRL. It was spunky yet squishy. It handled great yet had something when I twisted the throttle. The XRR was like a hot new girl that kept me on edge, while the XRL was like the old girl that was still looking good and ready and willing to put out. I'm struggling with bike monogamy folks. I love them all.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #47618
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I took the XRL out today after spending the last few days with the new kid on the block my XRR. I was really excited with the XRL. It was spunky yet squishy. It handled great yet had something when I twisted the throttle. The XRR was like a hot new girl that kept me on edge, while the XRL was like the old girl that was still looking good and ready and willing to put out. I'm struggling with bike monogamy folks. I love them all.

RZ Rob
One of my friends got off his plated mx bike,rode my L and declared it a fat chick. Another wise friend said, "Yeah...and fat chicks will do anything you want."

Enjoy your bike polygamy. Also, more picts. of your exotic smokers.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #47619
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
more picts. of your exotic smokers.
Love the Fat Chicks reference. I saw it the same way.

After sitting dormant in my garage for nearly 10 years, a thorough carb cleaning brought my RS back to life. A serious coat of wax and it's looking pretty good. Here's a pic from a Laguna Seca track day quite awhile ago.

This bike, while not a smoker, was the most fun I ever had, but after 3 engine blows while still on the original tires, I unloaded it like Facebook stock. '07 Aprilia SXV550 V twin fuel injected insanity bike. Taken at Infinion Raceway.

My old RZ500 up off Nacemiento Road near Big Sur. I put more miles on this bike than anyone else ever did on an RZ I guarantee it. It had a nice set of rare Toomey exhaust when I sold it. I suffered a pretty bad crash due to poor maintenance (worn tires) and just getting a little hot on a twisty road. The bike was no virgin. I think the motor ended-up in a quad. Note the YAMAMA plate.

Think twice before buying Italian. Heard the expression "rode hard & put up wet"? Got this bike from a Vietnamese for cheap. I don't think it ever saw a paved road or garage in its life. Life in Vietnam is hard on a bike.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #47620
65VelleSS
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wanted: XR650R swing arm

What's up! As an owner of both the XRL and XRR; I thought it would be appropriate to make a parts request with the XRL crowd. I need a swing arm for my 2000 xr650r. If anyone has one for sale or knows where/how I should go about sourcing a nice used one, it would be greatly appreciated! Please contact me with any info. Jonsmain@gmail.com or call me at 310-383-2604. Thanks very much! - Jon
65VelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #47621
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
Brake light suggestion.

I been running the xrr type of brake light for the past few years. But I always break them when I do some serious dirt riding. I am thinking of trying a different type or brand of light. can you guys suggest a LED type that might work. i am thinking of ordering one of these. has anyone ever tried this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/160897125341...84.m1423.l2649
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #47622
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 338
tail light xr650l, led bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I been running the xrr type of brake light for the past few years. But I always break them when I do some serious dirt riding. I am thinking of trying a different type or brand of light. can you guys suggest a LED type that might work. i am thinking of ordering one of these. has anyone ever tried this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/160897125341...84.m1423.l2649
this one is popular and works great. i also put an led bulb in it that i got off flebay. although i hate motorcycle-stupidstore.com, here's the link.

2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone but not forgotten)

3girlsdad screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 06:21 AM
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #47623
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
It looks like it would be fun to play with. The CRF set-up does not have the range of barrels that the Motion Pro does, but the CRF unit can be had on eBay for a song. I am cheap, so that always weighs into my decision making

I think once I get down to only two or three OE XRL parts left on the bike, I'll call 'er done (then it'll be time to sell and start over with something else).
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #47624
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Is there a company that makes black stock front and rear fenders for xrl?
I have googled with no results.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #47625
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Is there a company that makes black stock front and rear fenders for xrl?
I have googled with no results.

Maier plastics
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote