Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #47626
blitheringidiot
Regurgitated User

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
this one is popular and works great. i also put an led bulb in it that i got off flebay. although i hate motorcycle-stupidstore.com, here's the link.
Have you had any trouble with the wiring, problems with the brake light not being bright enough or burning out bulbs, like the reviews mentioned in your link? Or did the LED bulb take care of the intensity/burnout problems?
blitheringidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #47627
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitheringidiot View Post
Have you had any trouble with the wiring, problems with the brake light not being bright enough or burning out bulbs, like the reviews mentioned in your link? Or did the LED bulb take care of the intensity/burnout problems?
I've gone through about 3 bulbs per year. The WPS brake light does not have the same shock absorbing capability as the stock light...so on rocky/rough terrain the bulb takes a beating. The worst part is they're a pain in the ass to find. I have a few extras that a forum member here gave me...but I've yet to find any spares. The lense will also start to get brittle and crack if you tighten it down too much after a year or so...but at the price I don't care. Anything looks better than the antenna hanging off of the back as it comes stock.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #47628
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
here is my swap on an xr...same thing

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774934
Very good source! Make sure you read it fully, lots of good things in there that I missed... I also had a thread that I put up questions etc and have some info for reference...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #47629
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Cool picture, looks like some nice riding weather there,
The thermometer on the porch is reading 90 degrees right now , I like to ride in the upper 50's lower 60's...
Fall is my favorite riding season, nice and cool, amazing colors!! I can get lost for hours and not even realize it.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #47630
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitheringidiot View Post
the led bulb has taken care of the intensity (i find that it is brighter) and burnout problems (so far after 3-4 months of use mostly offroad).
2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone but not forgotten)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #47631
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I been running the xrr type of brake light for the past few years. But I always break them when I do some serious dirt riding. I am thinking of trying a different type or brand of light. can you guys suggest a LED type that might work. i am thinking of ordering one of these. has anyone ever tried this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/160897125341...84.m1423.l2649
If you're not afraid of a soldering iron, or dremel, and like making stuff, check out my DIY version in my signature. If you wanted an even brighter version, you could drop to 2 rows of 5 instead of 2 rows of 6 to increase the forward voltage. The LED's I used can definitely handle it - see my blinkers...

It's held up to a decent amount of abuse (no collisions), and the LED's are definitely bright / directional enough that people seem to stop further behind me when I hit the brakes.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #47632
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
If you're not afraid of a soldering iron, or dremel, and like making stuff, check out my DIY version in my signature. If you wanted an even brighter version, you could drop to 2 rows of 5 instead of 2 rows of 6 to increase the forward voltage. The LED's I used can definitely handle it - see my blinkers...

It's held up to a decent amount of abuse (no collisions), and the LED's are definitely bright / directional enough that people seem to stop further behind me when I hit the brakes.

Just looked at your DIY thread... WOW!!

I found some other led taillight over here. Think this may work, may need a little modification.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #47633
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
I been running the xrr type of brake light for the past few years. But I always break them when I do some serious dirt riding. I am thinking of trying a different type or brand of light. can you guys suggest a LED type that might work. i am thinking of ordering one of these. has anyone ever tried this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/160897125341...84.m1423.l2649
Quote:
this one is popular and works great. i also put an led bulb in it that i got off flebay. although i hate motorcycle-stupidstore.com, here's the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
I've gone through about 3 bulbs per year. The WPS brake light does not have the same shock absorbing capability as the stock light...so on rocky/rough terrain the bulb takes a beating. The worst part is they're a pain in the ass to find. I have a few extras that a forum member here gave me...but I've yet to find any spares. The lense will also start to get brittle and crack if you tighten it down too much after a year or so...but at the price I don't care. Anything looks better than the antenna hanging off of the back as it comes stock.
The LED tail light shown in your link should work fine, Ben. All LED bulbs are highly resistant to vibration, and will withstand the punishing vibrations associated with trail riding.

I like the WPS tail light shown by 3GirlsDad; I have ridden my XR650L about 30,000 miles with this tail light installed. The original, incandescent bulb installed in my WPS tail light was extinguished by vibrations, so I installed a Trail Tech LED bulb in my WPS tail light. This LED bulb has been working great for 22,200 miles.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...trail+tech+led

I'm sure you can find brighter LED bulbs on eBay, as did 3GirlsDad. Any decent LED bulb with a sufficient number of LEDs will work well with the WPS tail light. I haven't had any problems with my WPS tail light. The WPS tail light will work superbly after you install an LED bulb in it.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 11:42 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #47634
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
The wps light

The wps light is what I have been using for about 3 years. I do break 1157 short bulbs all the time. I also break the red lens covers about twice a year. I know they are cheap but I am getting tired of breaking and changing them.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #47635
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The wps light is what I have been using for about 3 years. I do break 1157 short bulbs all the time. I also break the red lens covers about twice a year. I know they are cheap but I am getting tired of breaking and changing them.
The WPS tail light is quite small, and is well protected. How are you breaking the red lens?

After you install the Trail Tech LED bulb you won't need to replace it very often. Therefore, you will be less likely to break the red lens of the WPS tail light by tightening it too much. You certainly can't beat the price of the WPS tail light; at a cost of $12.99, it's a great deal.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ail-Light.aspx

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 12:00 PM
Old 10-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #47636
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 338
one thing you don't see in the pic for the WPS tail light is the small clear portion on the bottom that serves as the license plate light, fyi...
2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone but not forgotten)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #47637
Wikedhd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
2008 XR650L rear shock needed

Have a blown out rear shock, looking to have rebuilt or replace it.
Any ideas?? Not wanting to pay dealer price!;(
Wikedhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #47638
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:

How much brighter is the led? Was it plug and play or did you need to make some mods?
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #47639
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
although i hate motorcycle-stupidstore.com, here's the link.

whats wrong with motorcycle superstore? ive been rather happy with them but ive only used their site to buy tires. sometimes they have deals on there for some new rubber even better then what i can find anywhere else! including ebay!

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #47640
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
How much brighter is the led? Was it plug and play or did you need to make some mods?
The Trail Tech bulb has 20 LEDs facing the rear, and is quite bright. Whether you buy an LED bulb from eBay or Trail Tech, the most important factor is the shape of the bulb. The WPS tail light will only accept shorter bulbs, so choose a bulb which has an LED portion which is shorter than 7/8-inch (23mm). Also, make sure the LED portion of the bulb is not too wide. If the bulb is short enough, it fits easily without any modifications, whatsoever. The Trail Tech LED bulb fits easily, so you can use it as a model to compare other LED bulbs.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 01:54 PM