Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #48346
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
Not sure why all the fuss over longer cables when raising bars but here is mine with stock cables.

AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #48347
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
If you check on rswracing.com you will find 1 1/8 replacement bar risers. I just priced them because I was looking for a replacement. They are $52 that includes shipping. If you use the stock rise handlebars the stock thorthol cables will work. But you will need the plus 3 inch motion pro clutch cable.If you go with atv bars or kawasaki high bend bars you will need the longer thorthol cables also. Found you a link. http://rswracing.com/barmounts.htm
Thanks for the link.
Now I see why I couldn't find these listed separately on their site. I always went straight to the XRL page.
I may just swap the triple clamps out as I'm also thinking about swapping new springs for the old ones and putting new stiffer ones on the 08. It would be the cheaper route and could be done all at once.

What size are you looking for? I may have a 3" x 7/8" up for sale...

Thanks Ben!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #48348
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Not sure why all the fuss over longer cables when raising bars but here is mine with stock cables.

Do those bar risers hit the tank? They look like they come off the clamp just like mine(except for your added height).

Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #48349
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
shut your mouth!
Thanks for playin..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #48350
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Do those bar risers hit the tank? They look like they come off the clamp just like mine(except for your added height).
The bottom of the clamps can mount two ways & in the rearward position they would hit the tank.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #48351
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
The bottom of the clamps can mount two ways & in the rearward position they would hit the tank.
It must be an optical delusion. It looks like it sits just like mine does.

I just ordered the 3" x 1 1/8" riser from RSW Racing.
It will add 3/4" of height to my setup now.
Another thing I forgot to mention(remembered it while out measuring) and some folks may not think about... the measurement for a riser on a RSW triple clamp is from the top of the clamp to the center of the bar. A stock triple clamp already has the bar 1 1/4" above the top of the clamp, or thereabouts. In other words it doesn't give you 3" more height than you currently have.
Any clamp on after market riser such as the Rox I mentioned earlier I assume is most likely measured from the 1 1/4", mark, up, correct? Center of stock bar height to center of new bar height.
If that is correct a 3" rox riser will sit 4 1/4" above the top of the clamp, or close to it.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #48352
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Well the XRL club just added one member over the weekend! I've been trying to trade/sell my fourwheeler for quite a while now and finally made a deal over the weekend for an even swap on a 2002 XR650L! Bike is strong and running well. I'll try to get a pic soon.

I now need to know some of your opinions on a few mods I hope to take care of soon. The only mod thus far has been the removal of about 20 ugly-ass stickers! I know alot of this has probably already been discussed on here... Maybe you could direct me to the pages/links so I don't have to sort through thousands of posts. I know procycle.com is a great site... any others?

#1 - Rear turn signals. One of them is missing... this a priority mod so I can get it tagged. What are the aftermarket options in this department? Hoping to have a little more streamlined/tighter look than the factory blinkers.
#2 - Tires. The tires on it now are in good shape but are street tires. I'm hoping for something that's 60%dirt / 40%street that doesn't break the bank.
#3 - Rack. Which rear rack are you all most happy with? My intentions are nothing more than soft luggage and maybe a fuel cell... Later on I might want to acquire soft saddle bags.
#4 - Gas Tank - Don't need the safari size. Is Clarke 4.7 the only/best option?

Lastly... Any common/inexpensive ways to lighten 'er up?

I'm sure there'll be more mods but this should get me started. THANKS... Looking forward to riding!!

Welcome!!
#1-Not sure on this one. I am also looking into options on new signals, but I am cheap and waiting until I break my existing ones.
#2-Shinko has some good tires available that meet your percentage requirements, i.e. shinko 244 and 700. These are cheap and relatively decent on the street and dirt.
#3-As Barron suggested, Manracks makes some good custom stuff. I bought his heavy duty rack adapted for a rotopax mount. I think I could mount up his saddle bag frames later if I wanted, but I am not sure.
#4-If you go with an aftermarket tank (Clarke, IMS, Acerbis), you might want to think about installing an oil cooler, as you will have to clip your wings.

Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #48353
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
My 04 needs some work which will entail tearing it apart and I assume it will take awhile to get it back on the road(based on my slow ass). So, I had been looking for something different to buy and ride while the 04 was in pieces. I came home with this a few weeks back...

Hey, It's different! It's an 08 with 2,717 miles.

Nice bike! I hear 08 was the best year for XRL's. The BNG made the bike lighter, faster and more reliable!
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #48354
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I've got FMF powerbomb header and the Q4 exhaust. When I put the OEM exhaust and header back on it runs rough, mainly cause I need to rejet, but the reason I need to rejet is because of the restricted flow...

I'm happy with my FMF stuff and I'm going to put it back on the first chance I get (which is why I didn't bother changing my jets

I never did a dyno but swapping from aftermarket to OEM was VERY noticeable to me in the power, response and tone of the bike.

-Barron
Thanks, just the kind of info I'm looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I have the White Bros. E3 system, header and muffler. The low end does not seem to be affected by this combination.
If highway cruse seems sluggish, you may be jetted too rich for your altitude. For 5000 to 8000 feet you should be at 48 pilot and 145 to 147 main. Check with a dealer at your altitude.
Its good to hear you're not sacrificing low end for more top.
Honestly my bike runs spectacular up here at 5000ft, better than it ought to really. Its got tons of torque, instant throttle snap, and still revs up nice and quick......it has all the power I can handle in the dirt, and is still very snappy on the road with stock gearing. Honestly after years of riding high hp big-bore sport bikes, and being away from dual sporting for 15 years, I think maybe I'm just expecting more than a 650cc single can give me at higher road speeds.

I'm used to instant and brutal throttle response at any highway speeds on my sportbikes, I just have to adjust to the fact that aint gonna happen with my dual sport.

But thats okay because in the dirt where it counts, it gives me more than I know what to safely do with So I'm happy

Out of curiousity tho, if I stuck a Big Gun header on to match the silencer, how much of a seat of the pants difference would I feel?
I've been away from singles (especially 4-strokes) for so long, I'm a little lost on how they react to mods...........its been a long time
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #48355
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barron

I never did a dyno but swapping from aftermarket to OEM was VERY noticeable to me in the power, response and tone of the bike.

-Barron

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #48356
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_XR View Post
Welcome!!
#1-Not sure on this one. I am also looking into options on new signals, but I am cheap and waiting until I break my existing ones.
#2-Shinko has some good tires available that meet your percentage requirements, i.e. shinko 244 and 700. These are cheap and relatively decent on the street and dirt.
#3-As Barron suggested, Manracks makes some good custom stuff. I bought his heavy duty rack adapted for a rotopax mount. I think I could mount up his saddle bag frames later if I wanted, but I am not sure.
#4-If you go with an aftermarket tank (Clarke, IMS, Acerbis), you might want to think about installing an oil cooler, as you will have to clip your wings.
Thanks man... I may go ahead and order these turn signals. They're a little more compact... and really cheap!! Anybody have an opinion on these before I purchase them... yay or nay?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...rn-Signal.aspx
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #48357
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,007
Quote:
Thanks man... I may go ahead and order these turn signals. They're a little more compact... and really cheap!! Anybody have an opinion on these before I purchase them... yay or nay?

These turn signals are crap. I had some on the front of my XR600. Tucked in nice and tight on the headlight shroud where they would be out of harms way but the first time you bump into them they snap off. On top of that they use some goof ball, small ass, impossible to find light bulb.

Do it right the first time and spend a few bucks on some better lights. It will save you in the long run.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #48358
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
These turn signals are crap. I had some on the front of my XR600. Tucked in nice and tight on the headlight shroud where they would be out of harms way but the first time you bump into them they snap off. On top of that they use some goof ball, small ass, impossible to find light bulb.

Do it right the first time and spend a few bucks on some better lights. It will save you in the long run.
+1 and you just can not beat the visibility of the OEM lights. Their big and bright.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #48359
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
+1 and you just can not beat the visibility of the OEM lights. Their big and bright.
Thanks guys... You talked me into holding off on the cheapos. Perhaps I'll just go ahead and get OEM... I was hoping to go a little smaller/tighter-tucked without sacrificing too much visibility. I checked the price at the Honda dealership for just one OEM turn signal... $55 damn dollars! That option is out! Maybe I'll go with these OEM lights instead... Off the same website... 1/2 the cost and sold in pairs.

Another question... Anybody know whether the license tag on motorcycles in NC has to have lights? If so any suggestions for a lighted tag mount that would fit a trimmed rear fender? In other words the previous owner trimmed off the fender a couple inches below the tail light mount. I'll try to get a picture....
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #48360
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Thanks guys... You talked me into holding off on the cheapos. Perhaps I'll just go ahead and get OEM... I was hoping to go a little smaller/tighter-tucked without sacrificing too much visibility. I checked the price at the Honda dealership for just one OEM turn signal... $55 damn dollars! That option is out! Maybe I'll go with these OEM lights instead... Off the same website... 1/2 the cost and sold in pairs.

Another question... Anybody know whether the license tag on motorcycles in NC has to have lights? If so any suggestions for a lighted tag mount that would fit a trimmed rear fender? In other words the previous owner trimmed off the fender a couple inches below the tail light mount. I'll try to get a picture....
I think I have a oem one in my parts bin. If you want it I am sure we can work something out? Pm me tonight so when I get home I can look for it. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote