Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #48376
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmy21b View Post
Took my first real ride today and man, my new seat can't come in the mail soon enough. That plank of death is brutal.
Surely you can't mean an XRL???
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #48377
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
IMO, my stock XRL seat is much more comfortable than the stock seat was on the KLX400 I had previously.
+1, had an 05 WR450F, after about an hour on that seat I could tell you just how wide it was, and it wasn't very wide
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #48378
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Are jt sprockets good? I just ordered a xrr 15t, should be here thurs. Just want to know if these are good to my splines. I was using a o.e.m xrr 14t, but need a little more freeway
cruizing speed.
Btw fritz-- killer rack / support plate
Wouldn't know why it wouldn't be good for your splines. It should have the wider spline area like your 14t. Little Honda molly or any molly 60 grease on the splines would help also.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #48379
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
+1 and you just can not beat the visibility of the OEM lights. Their big and bright.
I think I've decided to stick with OEM's... Aside from their bulky size (which is a positive for visibility) everyone seems pleased with them... Thanks for all your responses. Also thanks for the pics of your XRL tail ends ... It helps to see how everyone has tied together rear lights, rack, and tag mounts... If anyone else has any other pics they're proud of please show 'em off!

My next order of business is the tag mount and figuring out if I need to burn lights on the tag (I've never owned a motorcycle in NC). Currently it has a WPS tail light... much more recessed than stock... which I like. I don't think I can use a stock tag mount with a WPS light and a rear fender that has been trimmed/shortened? The previous owner left me with just 1.75" of fender remaining beneath the tail light. I was hoping to have a solid tag mount and not have to resort to "hanging" the tag off the edge of the fender... but will do what I have to.

Thanks again for responding and helping a new XRL owner out!

absoluteclint screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 06:18 PM
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #48380
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
15 tight fit!!
15 exact fit. 16 tight fit. ugh
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #48381
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmy21b View Post
Took my first real ride today and man, my new seat can't come in the mail soon enough. That plank of death is brutal.

The amazing karnac says "The answer is, a goldwing"
Lets open the envelope and read the question, hmmm, "What was your last bike?"
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #48382
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The amazing karnac says "The answer is, a goldwing"
Lets open the envelope and read the question, hmmm, "What was your last bike?"

AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #48383
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Are the stems flexible?
Yes, the stems are flexible. These are very nice, sturdy turn signals; I like them a lot.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #48384
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
I think I've decided to stick with OEM's... Aside from their bulky size (which is a positive for visibility) everyone seems pleased with them... Thanks for all your responses. Also thanks for the pics of your XRL tail ends ... It helps to see how everyone has tied together rear lights, rack, and tag mounts... If anyone else has any other pics they're proud of please show 'em off!

My next order of business is the tag mount and figuring out if I need to burn lights on the tag (I've never owned a motorcycle in NC). Currently it has a WPS tail light... much more recessed than stock... which I like. I don't think I can use a stock tag mount with a WPS light and a rear fender that has been trimmed/shortened? The previous owner left me with just 1.75" of fender remaining beneath the tail light. I was hoping to have a solid tag mount and not have to resort to "hanging" the tag off the edge of the fender... but will do what I have to.

Thanks again for responding and helping a new XRL owner out!
Here's the thing about the license plate light... yes it is required, but it will only get attention if something else gets attention first, like wheelies or speeding...

For example look at the dudes with cruisers, some of them have their plate mounted on their swingarm with out a light.

My point here is that it is required but rarely ever troubled with.

Now with that being said...

The way I fixed the problem you are describing was by wiring in 1/2 of one of these guys....

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=60049_0_0_

You can cut them on the marked spots and the 3M adhesive on the back of them lasted years. To hide and protect the wire have the fender off and cut thin strips of electrical tape to hold the wire in the desired location, then cover it (as neatly as possible) with the ultra black silicone that you can also get at autozone. Wire it into the same power as the tail light.

It sounds like a lot, but it's pretty easy and those lights are BRIGHT! I had another one right above the tire to assist in night time repairs...

-Barron
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #48385
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 785
anybody wanna talk to me about suspension settings?? specifically the rear. I have no experience working on suspension or setting it up etc.

i was fussing about with the little cylinder doo dad thats attached to the rear shock. has a little nub on the bottom to fill with air or nitrogen? i got out my pressure gauge it was at something like 30psi. i kept foolin and fussing with it and dropped it down to about 10 psi. now it feels springy. i put some air back in it up to 16psi.

i really had no idea what i was doing so i decided to stop. bike still feels a little springy in the back. whats the ideal setting for someone who lives in flat sandy FL with lots of sand whoops who weighs 150lbs? Thanks!

Edit: did a little research, apparently these little canisters can be filled all the way up to 150psi which i read seems to be normal for these shocks? filled the canister up to 150psi now (which is the max my air compressor can do). now it seems its back to how it used to be and the springyness has gone away (kinda stiff and not smooth and fluid like im hoping, but then again i dont know whats normal and whats not for these suspension settings)

Sub Zero screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 09:04 PM
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #48386
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
anybody wanna talk to me about suspension settings?? specifically the rear. I have no experience working on suspension or setting it up etc.

i was fussing about with the little cylinder doo dad thats attached to the rear shock. has a little nub on the bottom to fill with air or nitrogen? i got out my pressure gauge it was at something like 30psi. i kept foolin and fussing with it and dropped it down to about 10 psi. now it feels springy. i put some air back in it up to 16psi.

i really had no idea what i was doing so i decided to stop. bike still feels a little springy in the back. whats the ideal setting for someone who lives in flat sandy FL with lots of sand whoops who weighs 150lbs? Thanks!
should be... 212lbs I think? you'll need a special attachment or a 'shock pump' like is used for MTB shocks.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #48387
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
should be... 212lbs I think? you'll need a special attachment or a 'shock pump' like is used for MTB shocks.
I edited my first post. I added more air. 150psi is the max my air compressor can do. it seems like its back to how it used to be. the springiness has gone away.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #48388
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
I edited my first post. I added more air. 150psi is the max my air compressor can do. it seems like its back to how it used to be. the springiness has gone away.
Take it to a bike shop and have it filled with nitrogen. Air is a no go for several reasons. Most bike shops will fill a shock for less than $10. Or if you have a bike junkie down the street... he has a bottle in his shop.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #48389
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Take it to a bike shop and have it filled with nitrogen. Air is a no go for several reasons. Most bike shops will fill a shock for less than $10. Or if you have a bike junkie down the street... he has a bottle in his shop.
holy shit 10$ for a little squirt of nitrogen?!? i wont pay a cent for something that's found naturally in the air we breath. I know airplane mechanics have nitrogen since they use it in their fancy shock absorbers on aircraft. ill try to find someone that will hook me up for free! so 215psi is how much nitrogen i need? sounds like a lot!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #48390
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
holy shit 10$ for a little squirt of nitrogen?!? i wont pay a cent for something that's found naturally in the air we breath. I know airplane mechanics have nitrogen since they use it in their fancy shock absorbers on aircraft. ill try to find someone that will hook me up for free! so 215psi is how much nitrogen i need? sounds like a lot!
it is alot. Someone will come along with the right pressure. I'm pretty sure it's 212 though. I've ran air in mine for a few years now and ran it pretty hard. There's definately reasons not to, but for a tight ass, air is pretty good.

Rear shock blow up I think it's actually a 600R rear shock, which has different internals, so part numbers aren't right for some of it, BUT, you can see how it's put together.

Shock Service Very well written article to service your rear shock. I've done two of mine, including the one that's on my bike that that I bang like an 18 y/o at prom.

Both documents are public domain.