User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #48886
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Help with starting issue

Rode my 2004 XR650L (537 Original Miles) last weekend on a mix of trails and pavement. It ran great with no issues and averaged 42 MPG on the 135 mile ride. Went to start it yesterday and it briefly fired up and then died. Would not restart after many attempts. New battery last month. Switched out the CDI fwith a factory new unit, have good spark but will not start. Checked fuel flow and carb is not plugged. Gasoline in tank is fresh from the Shell station. I did notice the valve rockers were all well oiled and not binding during cranking; however, the right front valve taps twice during it's cycle and the other valves only tap once. Is this an important clue?

Have done Dave's mods, and the Uni filter is clean and oiled. Anybody have any ideas? This bike is like new and has been kept in a temperature controlled shop since I bought it new in '05. Haven't had a chance to ride much due to work. I just bid a job that starts in December and goes through March so no riding during that period. Would like to ride a little more before kicking off the project.

Thanks for your ideas.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #48887
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
Rode my 2004 XR650L (537 Original Miles) last weekend on a mix of trails and pavement. It ran great with no issues and averaged 42 MPG on the 135 mile ride. Went to start it yesterday and it briefly fired up and then died. Would not restart after many attempts. New battery last month. Switched out the CDI fwith a factory new unit, have good spark but will not start. Checked fuel flow and carb is not plugged. Gasoline in tank is fresh from the Shell station. I did notice the valve rockers were all well oiled and not binding during cranking; however, the right front valve taps twice during it's cycle and the other valves only tap once. Is this an important clue?

Have done Dave's mods, and the Uni filter is clean and oiled. Anybody have any ideas? This bike is like new and has been kept in a temperature controlled shop since I bought it new in '05. Haven't had a chance to ride much due to work. I just bid a job that starts in December and goes through March so no riding during that period. Would like to ride a little more before kicking off the project.

Thanks for your ideas.
If you have that low miles on a 04. It could be a dirty or gummed up carb. Take it out and clean it.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #48888
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,294
try a burst of starting fluid. if its fires its a fuel problem

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #48889
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Ouch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Working on whoops when this happened. Not surprised, but the last 10 miles on the trail and the other 20 on the street were a bit nerve racking. The only thing holding it on was the battery bracket and one of the seat bolts.

Who's making and selling the gussets ? I don't have time before I move to make them myself I don't think.
It looks like you pushed the top of your tank in too.....plus the subframes bent up pretty healthy. You musta really flipped that poor bike good. hope you're ok
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #48890
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Take 5 minutes and by-pass that fucker.... Millions of miles have been ridden on these motors with no cooler at all. Your ambient temps are ok, not like racing in Baja in August. Keep your ride of a lifetime going and forget about the cooler. I'm WAY jealous of your ride, BTW!!!!

EDIT: Man your in mexico.... Zip tye, wire tie, or use a coat hanger inside a piece of fuel line. Wrap it all the way around the cooler and tie it off to the cooler frame. Improvise... Maxicanize!!!!! Just keep on riding!
Yep xrl's are wonderfully simple, hassle free low maintainence machines, perfect for trips like you're taking. But bolting on complexity adding additions that arent really needed just defeats the purpose. Take that pita tiny little oil cooler off of there and make your adventure that much simpler. Like Wattner said simplify your ride and maximize your pleasure
Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #48891
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks for your ideas.
Like somebody else said you need to clean the carb.....carbs don't like to sit, and yours has been sitting alot. As little as you ride, you need to shut off the fuel while the bike is running and run the carb dry when you park it. Or drain the carb float bowl. And definately run SeaFoam or another good fuel stabilizer/carb cleaner with your fuel.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #48892
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,127
Quote:

Thanks for your ideas.
Sounds like the kill switch on the handlebars... Turn it off and on a couple of times, and when you turn it on for the final time, make sure it's pushed way down. These damn switches have stranded a few (me included more than once) If that's it, you can disassemble, clean the contacts with emory cloth, add a little electric grease and be good to go.

Best of luck!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #48893
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,847
Could be!

Bad gas.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #48894
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,372
Quote:

Gasoline in tank is fresh from the Shell station.

Thanks for your ideas.

Reading is an aquired skill

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #48895
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
It looks like you pushed the top of your tank in too.....plus the subframes bent up pretty healthy. You musta really flipped that poor bike good. hope you're ok
Nah, just riding along. The rear subframe is broken off. The only thing keeping it on the whole ride was the battery box bracket and a seat pan bolt. I'm going to dowel the frame a few inches in each direction, drilling holes in the existing frame every 1/2", spot weld the dowel in those holes and around the crack until I can get up to cutout the gussets and weld them on.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #48896
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,550
Quote:

Thanks for your ideas.
So you adjusted the valves? If so from your description the right front exhaust valve was adjusted incorrectly. You must rotate nthe engine past TDC to get the decompression cam that holds that valve open during starting to fall out. Run the engine around to about 10 deg ATDC and re check the valve clearance.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #48897
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Yeah, these are pretty cheap and will heat your seat up pretty nicely:

You can get them here.
Tell me, have you ever seen a Taco Bell Taco that looked anything like these in the photo above? I didn't thionk so. You f__Ken yankees. Posting Taco Bell for something that will light your a__ on fire. You don't EVEN know what Mexician Food is all about. Here's a little lunch the gals in the office whiped up.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #48898
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Party's Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I just installed a Tusk Grip Heater Kit, which was an excellent bargain at $20. However, I just checked the RM ATV/MC website, and the Tusk Grip Heater Kit is now on sale for $9.99! Trust me, you can't go wrong at that price.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rip+heater+kit

Spud
Bummer, I had to work yesterday and when I went to RM's website the deal was over. Not that $19 is bad, but $9 is better. Let me know if you see it come back to life. I need at least a couple sets.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #48899
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Tell me, have you ever seen a Taco Bell Taco that looked anything like these in the photo above? I didn't thionk so. You f__Ken yankees. Posting Taco Bell for something that will light your a__ on fire. You don't EVEN know what Mexician Food is all about. Here's a little lunch the gals in the office whiped up.

Very true. Taco Bell doesn't serve REAL mexican food. Best I ever had was at an old house in Yuma, AZ that had been converted to a restaurant.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #48900
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post

I do miss Texas for the food. The best Mexican food in San Anton was in which ever little dive you stumbled into. You couldn't hardly go wrong.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote