Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #48946
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
When the last time you checked your valves
I haven't checked them. I just bought it back in July, don't know much about the history of it.

Adjusting the valves is on my list of to-do's on my winter school break coming up in a couple weeks.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #48947
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Smug mug only. Not sure how easy it is to post a pic yet.?
XR BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #48948
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 434
I use photobucket
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #48949
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #48950
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
The past couple days I've had problems with mine dying when I come to a stop.

Not sure if my idle is set too low, or perhaps it has something to do with the clutch starting to go...

It's been getting colder at night, and it seems to happen mostly when the engine is still warming up. I tried setting the idle higher, and it didn't die, but then when it was warmed up the idle seemed too high. Should I just keep the idle up a bit and live with it? Or maybe a different issue?

Did 55/158 jets and Dave's mod about 2 months ago, been riding it 5 days a week back and forth to school. Other than that it's running great.
Check your compression.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #48951
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Quote:
I haven't checked them. I just bought it back in July, don't know much about the history of it.

Adjusting the valves is on my list of to-do's on my winter school break coming up in a couple weeks.
What's your mileage and like Jeremy said check your compression.....Btw there is a compression gauge on this thread for sale RIGHT NOW

OH, just saw your mileage in your sig----better off checking your compression
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #48952
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,302
Went to kick the XRL over today and noticed that the damned kickstarter stroked right through with hardly any effort. I wonder if my compression is bad. What to do....
Guess I'll have to sell the damned thing. Perhaps someone in Texas wants a used XR with no compression.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #48953
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
The past couple days I've had problems with mine dying when I come to a stop.

Not sure if my idle is set too low, or perhaps it has something to do with the clutch starting to go...

It's been getting colder at night, and it seems to happen mostly when the engine is still warming up. I tried setting the idle higher, and it didn't die, but then when it was warmed up the idle seemed too high. Should I just keep the idle up a bit and live with it? Or maybe a different issue?

Did 55/158 jets and Dave's mod about 2 months ago, been riding it 5 days a week back and forth to school. Other than that it's running great.
What weight oil are you running? When its colder the oil is thicker, which creates more drag on the clutch at stops with the clutch lever in until the oil warms up. If you're running 20/50 I'd switch to 10/40 for the winter months.

You could also try and adjust your mixture screw, or go up a couple sizes on your pilot jet, that will help cold starts and warm up time alot. I'm running 58/155 jets with Daves mods at 5000ft up, and my bike starts and idles awesome in all temps, with very little choke needed, and has crisp, instant off idle throttle response.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #48954
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
What weight oil are you running? When its colder the oil is thicker, which creates more drag on the clutch at stops with the clutch lever in until the oil warms up. If you're running 20/50 I'd switch to 10/40 for the winter months.

You could also try and adjust your mixture screw, or go up a couple sizes on your pilot jet, that will help cold starts and warm up time alot. I'm running 58/155 jets with Daves mods at 5000ft up, and my bike starts and idles awesome in all temps, with very little choke needed, and has crisp, instant off idle throttle response.
I'm running 15-40 oil. My jets should be good. Might richen the mixture a little. My clutch needs replacing, which is happening next month.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #48955
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
How to fix this

I think my suspension needs adjusting. Does anyone know where I can buy a compression gauge?

And I know I can only carry a few tools and spares in my tool kit so I've decided I'm going to give up the spark plug wrench for the compression gauge.

Either that, or does someone just make a dash mount kit for a compression gauge? I want to add this and a water pressure gauge. I wanna look really smart.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #48956
dynex619
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey all. New to the forum and bikes didn't know where to put this really.

I just picked up a old 1986 Honda XR250 for $600 bucks. It runs pretty good, but has some problems with it. Also I have no idea to tell whether its the XLR or XR250R... so I don't know what parts to buy..

When it's a cold start it will turn over great in a couple kicks with no choke and I can run it for a good time, but for some reason when I'll downshift and just hold the clutch it it will die randomly. Then if I slam on the gas pass 3/4 throttle it will bog or die and then when trying to start the bike back up it just won't live again...

So far I have checked oils- all good.
Flushed carb and cleaned it.
Flushed out old gas and cleaned tank and put in new one.
Took off K7N air filter and replaced with a good foam one.
Ran a little bit of seafoam through it for good measure.

Also I noticed the back tire keeps coming off, how do you tell if the wheel went bad, or if it's the tire? It is missing some parts that I guess the PO took off..

Thanks all, enjoy the pictures.

I'll keep this thread updated, just trying to get her road worthy again!
dynex619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #48957
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
You know my wifes really been wanting a compression gauge lately for some odd reason....anybody know where I can get one?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #48958
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
ok wt. now have photo Puckett, but I don't see a button on the forum here to upload the pics , I'm sure it is right in front of me, but where?
XR BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #48959
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
For sure Sierra Thumper, the difference between the stock EPA choked bike, and twenty five dollars and a couple hours of time( my first time) is utterly astounding . I did remove the snorkel as well, still contemplating the pipe..I like the stock sound, but get it is a choke collar. Oh, and I also found all the allen (sp) bolts for the carb at the local prep boys, and they are black to boot, so the carb looks cool, and should make subsequent changes easier.
Thanks fritzonic for the opportunity to get a compression gauge, I should probably get the spark plug wrench for this bike first. Do I need to watch the comp. I run standard gas, and it seems to sound ok, I know that is subjective, so perhaps a comp tester sooner than later would be warranted. On that note, is it ok to run 87 octane? Or should I run a higher octane. I like chevron gas, has always seemed good in the trucks.
On a side note, just as finished the mods today, a guy in his truck saw me working on the bike and stopped to say hello. Turns out he has an 08' and had done some of the mods and wants to take the pigs out this weekend. Very cool, and looking forward to getting some miles and some dirt on the new pig.
I need to get some pics up, once I figure it out, I will be sure and post them
Thanks again, appreciate everyone helping to shorten the learning curve on my pig
Let me say that my FMF Q, while making a difference, was the worst bang-for-the-buck mod I did in the early stages of tweaking my bike. The stock exhaust just isn't a huge limiting for the stock motor. It also isn't that much lighter, like barley any. Save your cash, mod your stock pipe, get a 600R exhaust,and buy a CW cam, piston or CCW combustion chamber. I know people love exhausts, but in my experience the dividends were small for the investment with this bike.

mendoteach screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 11:27 PM
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #48960
Lane_N
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 87
gear swap

I have a line on a non-running '89 XR600R that has a good bottom end. I'm thinking about grabbing it for the kickstarter and trans. Has anyone swapped the 1-2 gears from the XR600 into the XR650? I thought I read that ThumpnRed had done this to his XRL? How is that going to compare performance wise with the NX650 2nd? I really want to get rid of that 1-2 gap.

Any feedback from you guys that have put the NX 5th gear in? Is this worth doing? I have no issue commuting the 50mile roundtrip to work on my bike as is (I run 15-48 sprockets on the street and cruising at 70-75 mph is no problem), but if I'm splitting cases and this is a worthwhile upgrade I think I'll try to do this one too.
Lane_N is offline   Reply With Quote