Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #48961
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_N View Post
I have a line on a non-running '89 XR600R that has a good bottom end. I'm thinking about grabbing it for the kickstarter and trans. Has anyone swapped the 1-2 gears from the XR600 into the XR650? I thought I read that ThumpnRed had done this to his XRL? How is that going to compare performance wise with the NX650 2nd? I really want to get rid of that 1-2 gap.

Any feedback from you guys that have put the NX 5th gear in? Is this worth doing? I have no issue commuting the 50mile roundtrip to work on my bike as is (I run 15-48 sprockets on the street and cruising at 70-75 mph is no problem), but if I'm splitting cases and this is a worthwhile upgrade I think I'll try to do this one too.
I believe the R has a an even lower first! That will make the gap bigger! I have the NX 2nd and Euro 5th. Not sure a stock bike will pull the fifth well unless overall gearing is pretty short. It's the equivalent of making the stock fifth a counter shaft sprocket taller, or three in the rear sprocket. Pretty tall. A good solution though for people who like billy goat trail gearing to be able to run on the freeway, or for people with modded bikes to be able to cruise at lower RPMs.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #48962
Lane_N
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 87
Mendo,

I looked on Gearing Commander and it looks like the XR600 has a 2.38 1st gear vs the 2.66 XRL 1st. Both XR600 and XR650L have 1.64 2nd gear ratios. I'm thinking that the NX 2nd at 1.75 would actually create a bigger step between 1-2 then the XR600 1-2? You would have to give up a little bit of that wonderful tractor 1st gear that the XRL has going the XR600 1st gear route. Wondering out loud here is all. Anyone else tried something like this?
Lane_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #48963
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Day Ride

Day Ride on XR's

More Pictures
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #48964
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
One of my favorite vendors is coming east. About an hour and a half away. Kentucky is a hotbed of ATV activity. Lots of old strip mines have been turned into off road parks in the eastern part of the state. Always good to have somewhere to put your hands on items before buying them.

John
Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #48965
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Anybody know a solid lead on a compression test kit, slightly used.... J/K

My tool box. Compression tester and a leak down tester. You can borrow them or bring your bike to me and we'll check it over.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #48966
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
ok wt. now have photo Puckett, but I don't see a button on the forum here to upload the pics , I'm sure it is right in front of me, but where?
When you are viewing the picture in photobucket you should see a box on the right hand side of the screen labeled "Links". I that list of links the last one will say "image code". Click on the contents of the box labeled image code and it will copy it to the clipboard on the computer. Then edit a response and paste the link into the edit box. Click the "preview post" to see what your post will look like.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #48967
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
I have a line on a non-running '89 XR600R that has a good bottom end. I'm thinking about grabbing it for the kickstarter and trans. Has anyone swapped the 1-2 gears from the XR600 into the XR650? I thought I read that ThumpnRed had done this to his XRL? How is that going to compare performance wise with the NX650 2nd? I really want to get rid of that 1-2 gap.

Any feedback from you guys that have put the NX 5th gear in? Is this worth doing? I have no issue commuting the 50mile roundtrip to work on my bike as is (I run 15-48 sprockets on the street and cruising at 70-75 mph is no problem), but if I'm splitting cases and this is a worthwhile upgrade I think I'll try to do this one too.
It works... I did do it. You have to pick and chose the gears to use as one of the XRR gears has fewer engagement dogs on it than the XRL (cant remember which), but the XRR first does swap in. When you run the ratios, you will find that you have a very linear transition from gear to gear throughout the box once you swap in the XRR first. It does make your first gear taller though. I run 14/48 sprockets to make first gear trail worthy. Now.... the bad part. Running 14/48 kills your top end. My bike will run at 75, but it's not a happy place. Not a huge deal for me though as I dont care for riding it on the highway anyway.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #48968
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 357
Aftermarket Exhaust Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Let me say that my FMF Q, while making a difference, was the worst bang-for-the-buck mod I did in the early stages of tweaking my bike. The stock exhaust just isn't a huge limiting for the stock motor. It also isn't that much lighter, like barley any. Save your cash, mod your stock pipe, get a 600R exhaust,and buy a CW cam, piston or CCW combustion chamber. I know people love exhausts, but in my experience the dividends were small for the investment with this bike.
let me preface by saying i'm a fan of mendoteach, and follow his advice word for word, typically; however, my experience was much different in the aftermarket exhaust realm. i put the vance and hines xcr exhaust on (with a ceramic coated stock header), and it made a HUGE difference to me. i'm 250 lbs, and it will pull wheelies much easier now, even in third with a good yank of the bars and a little clutch. power over all is much better through the whole curve, with quite a bit more top end than before. my exhaust is definitely on the loud side, fyi. just my $0.02.
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #48969
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
When you are viewing the picture in photobucket you should see a box on the right hand side of the screen labeled "Links". I that list of links the last one will say "image code". Click on the contents of the box labeled image code and it will copy it to the clipboard on the computer. Then edit a response and paste the link into the edit box. Click the "preview post" to see what your post will look like.
I don't use photobucket but I assume you can also just right click over the pic you want to post, click on "copy image location", come here and click on this button right above the space you type in, and paste the URL into the box that pops up. Just make sure you copy over top of the "http://" already highlighted or it won't work. Your copied location URL already has that included and should appear in the post once you hit "OK"...

That is how I copied the pic of the button above.

Now, if there is no option to "copy image location" then that wont work.

and a pic from yesterdays ride....

bwalsh screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 10:01 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #48970
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic frog View Post
A while back someone posted and included a link for an XR parts site. I think it was pro cycle
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xr650l.html

Good folks to work with....
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #48971
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L View Post
Day Ride on XR's

More Pictures
Hey... what rear rack is that? Looks wide and solid!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #48972
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:

The NX650 5th is awesome. I've got 15/45 gears and can run highway speeds with no problems at all. I've also got the NX second gear to move the gap from between first and second to between second and third where it's less noticeable. It was definitely worth splitting the cases and have really enjoyed getting back the grunt in 1-4th gears that I had to give up when I put a 43 tooth sprocket on for highway speed.

As luck would have it, I should be able to get that 5th gear pretty easy in a few weeks

-Barron
Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #48973
Lane_N
Pig Wrangler

[QUOTEAs luck would have it, I should be able to get that 5th gear pretty easy in a few weeks

-Barron[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #48974
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
Smug mug only. Not sure how easy it is to post a pic yet.?
I remember hearing someone say that "Baldy", the one who runs advrider is somehow affiliated with smugmug, and it somehow benefits him if you use smugmug, but can't remember how. Anyone with insight?
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #48975
Lane_N
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It works... I did do it. You have to pick and chose the gears to use as one of the XRR gears has fewer engagement dogs on it than the XRL (cant remember which), but the XRR first does swap in. When you run the ratios, you will find that you have a very linear transition from gear to gear throughout the box once you swap in the XRR first. It does make your first gear taller though. I run 14/48 sprockets to make first gear trail worthy. Now.... the bad part. Running 14/48 kills your top end. My bike will run at 75, but it's not a happy place. Not a huge deal for me though as I dont care for riding it on the highway anyway.

Thanks for the confirmation Wayne, I'm thinking that might be the way I'd like to go with mine too. Besides It would be a shame to not keep our Honzuki's as similar as possible, wouldn't it?