Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #49261
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Red- in your sig line^ with a few stock parts left---- is your stator stock? is your throttle tube stock?
my throttle tube is stock and seems slight bit shorter that a regular mx/trail bike tube.
Stator is stock. Throttle tube is not. Throttle is off of a CRF. The CRF throttle pulls full throttle with less rotation than the XRL throttle.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #49262
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
Thanks for the praise! Ive read through that CW bike build of yours a few times loads of goodies on that bad lil oinker, but if every ones ok with it ill just pop in here now and again to say hola and making posting pics. Making a tread requires me to update it often or the other inmate tend to get restless and riotous when there has not been a recent update.

As far as updates goes I removed the anodizing off the fork tubes and front rotor (not a fan of gold ) using good old oven cleaner (some really nasty shit) and a aluminum bristled brush. polished the fork tubes and think ill paint the center of the rotor black to match the rear.

Pre oven cleaner

Let soak for about 10 min

After scrubbing it with the brush a while (wear gloves i cant stress enough that is some nasty shit) tada most of the anodizing is gone

Here is one of the fork tubes, like it allot better
Oven cleaner's awesome. I have used it several times to strip anodizing off of archery parts (easy way to turn a hunting sight into a polished tournament sight) You gotta be careful though as it will etch the shit out of the surface if you let it sit too long (YES... there is a story)
Old 11-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #49263
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post

Stator is stock. Throttle tube is not. Throttle is off of a CRF. The CRF throttle pulls full throttle with less rotation than the XRL throttle.

You in a hurry to get somewhere?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #49264
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
When the liquor store closes in 5 min and your out of beer everything helps I suppose
Old 11-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #49265
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
When the liquor store closes in 5 min and your out of beer everything helps I suppose
He's probabaly to lazy to have to turn the throttle that much. It could be that or he doesn't want to strain his drinkin hand...

A quick throttle is nice when you use it like a on/off switch thou.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #49266
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
holy crap! for that kind of cash can pick up a older ktm 200 (closet 2 smoker fan as well).
Yeah, ludicrous $$. They are a lot of us smoker fans. Both Steve and CW have them and I think Spud too!
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #49267
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Anyone know it the timing cover caps from the CRFs fit our bikes? I can get some blingy ones cheap!
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #49268
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Yeah, ludicrous $$. They are a lot of us smoker fans. Both Steve and CW have them and I think Spud too!

02 200EXC
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #49269
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
I found one on ebay just now it is a 80ish GS 750 cooler. http://www.ebay.com/itm/83-Suzuki-GS...647112&vxp=mtr

(any one want a CF re pop of a I think ufo super moto fender?).
thanks for the link and info! i'll pm on the front fender
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #49270
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
1996 cr250 here have owned for 12 years. its sad that I only use it twice a year. But Ill always keep it.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #49271
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Well I finally got around to ripping the snorkel off the top of my airbox this afternoon. In addition to that I cleaned the air filter (K&N) for the first time... I've only had the XRL a couple weeks now... It wasn't too dirty but was probably due for a good cleaning nonetheless. I also cleaned out the airbox really well... Just wiped out the light grime/dust that had built up. Man what a difference! Breathes much better... Bye, bye snorkel!

Still waiting on my damn smog-off kit. UPS made an "exception" (corporate lingo for big damn error/mistake) in the delivery process... Been watching the tracking number a couple days now... It is inching closer but taking for damn ever.

Think I need to check the jetting after de-smogging it? So far it's running great... Doesn't seem lean or anything. Not sure of the bike's history in this department... It has a White Brothers pipe so I'm guessing the jetting has been adjusted/played with at some point.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #49272
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,654
A belated Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Ya know, maybe your oil pump is not moving the oil out of the engine like it should. Have you made the check of the pump by removing the bolt in the clutch cover while the bike is level on a stand and running? If oil gushes out the pump is not pumping well.
I'm sure it's from the lack of the oil separator. After realizing it wasn't the Evap Canister everyone used to think it was, and about 6,000 miles, I replaced the separator. No more oil mist getting to the air box, turning back into a liquid, sitting on the bottom of the air box and seeping out the drain and the left side of the box.

Quote:
I paid attention to that when I was installing them. I zip ties the wire to the grip as well as ran a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the area where it bends. I wanted to have the wires run straight off the heater pad, tape them to the throttle tube and then bend the wires, but dont have a long enough throttle tube to allow such a thing to happen. We shall see what happens. I'll take my usual heavy and thin gloves, just in case.
Does anyone know what the length of a stock, unmolested throttle tube is supposed to be?
Reason I ask is my 08's had been cut to fit the bark busters and my 04 has been ground down a little from a late spring low side.
The heater pads are 4 1/8" long and both my throttle tubes are more or less the same length, with ragged edges. There is no extra room to zip tie the wires to the tube as the wired end of the heat pad would be right at the flared end of the tube.

Quote:
I assume the CRF and XRL tubes the same length.? Is it a direct bolt onto the XRL throttle housing?

bwalsh screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 02:39 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #49273
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
More progress with some shameless farkle to boot

Decided to fit my new rear brake lever tip to the OEM lever.

New lever tip http://www.ebay.com/itm/180999915104...84.m1497.l2649

With a 4in grinder and a cut off wheel I removed the original pivot bracket then using the same cut off wheel made the alignment grove. Once fitted I then drilled and taped the hole to attach the farkle in question. Used the good lil mig welder to fill in the grove so once installed it shouldn't be visible. a little grinding and filing later...

With the farkle attached

Old 11-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #49274
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Always
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #49275
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I'm sure it's from the lack of the oil separator. After realizing it wasn't the Evap Canister everyone used to think it was, and about 6,000 miles, I replaced the separator. No more oil mist getting to the air box, turning back into a liquid, sitting on the bottom of the air box and seeping out the drain and the left side of the box.

Does anyone know what the length of a stock, unmolested throttle tube is supposed to be?
Reason I ask is my 08's had been cut to fit the bark busters and my 04 has been ground down a little from a late spring low side.
The heater pads are 4 1/8" long and both my throttle tubes are more or less the same length, with ragged edges. There is no extra room to zip tie the wires to the tube as the wired end of the heat pad would be right at the flared end of the tube.

I assume the CRF and XRL tubes the same length.? Is it a direct bolt onto the XRL throttle housing?
It is the same length. You have to replace the tube and the housing as one assembly. The cables will work on either.