Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #50521
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I have to agree. It is a bit of over kill.
The owner has done a very good job on her. Bike is very nice for what has been done. You can see what he was going for.
Every rider sets up a bike the way there minds eye see's it.....this is he's....it is nice.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #50522
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Very cool. Details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABIKEPRO View Post
here some pic of my xr650l dale

junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #50523
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Check this out. I was several miles up a box canyon north of Moab with my son when I just knew I could climb this dune. Was going great until my loose chain jumped on the rear sprocked and siezed it hard. 5 miles from the Jeep in ankle deep sand. We rode out on his CRF230 and were able to retrieve it after dark. Then we went for pizza and beer. Love this pic.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #50524
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
Check this out. I was several miles up a box canyon north of Moab with my son when I just knew I could climb this dune. Was going great until my loose chain jumped on the rear sprocked and siezed it hard. 5 miles from the Jeep in ankle deep sand. We rode out on his CRF230 and were able to retrieve it after dark. Then we went for pizza and beer. Love this pic.
That's a great photo! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I've got to ask. Was the slider installed in the bottom of the chain guide?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #50525
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post

Holy cow man! That's pretty awesome! Not awesome to be stuck, but it got stuck in a cool position!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #50526
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
That's a great photo! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I've got to ask. Was the slider installed in the bottom of the chain guide?

Spud

The slider is in the guide, I'm pretty sure that sand got between the too loose chain and rear sprocket and caused it to jump one tooth. As I looked at from the side, about halfway around the rear sprocket, there was an extra link protruding rearward. That was new to me. Anyway, the chain was so tight that the wheel would not turn. When we made it out, pushing it on pavement turned the wheel enough to allow that kink out. We rode Hells Revenge/Slickrock bike trail the next day with no problems (after tightening it up a bit).

One minute going like hell, the next, silence. I slid off the seat, turned off the gas and took the pic. For whatever reason it wouldn't start after this, but fired right up the next day.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #50527
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
those are for an XT600. they wont fit
Dude, ALL he is asking us to mark up his print giving him the dimensions that will allow these pegs to fit the XRL.
Get to it will ya! Put your back into it and all that jazz.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #50528
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
For what it's worth, I didn't replace that "O" ring when I had my cover off. Didn't even know I was supposed to until I saw these posts the last few days. I guess I should look at the service manual a little more closely in the future.
It's still running 10,000+ miles later.

Good luck and have a great trip!
The manual is very unclear on this item. In my 93 parts book the tube is not shown on the clutch cover parts list. For some reason it is included with the clutch parts list? later parts list have it with the side cover items. My service manual only states to replace the O ring with out telling you what item has the O ring.

Regards the O ring, I am running a used O ring as well. It looks like as long as the tube is there not too much of the pump dispalcement does not get to the engine. The tube is a good fit in the pump and clutch cover. I can't see it leaking much. The O ring must be insurance.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 07:58 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #50529
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,509
Clutch Cover Gasket

Can anyone verify that this is the correct Moose Racing gasket to replace the factory gasket p/n 11394-MY2-621 ???

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...tm?Click=35177

And has anyone used the Moose gasket? Good, bad, ugly? It would be nice to pay $5 instead of $30...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #50530
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Dude, ALL he is asking us to mark up his print giving him the dimensions that will allow these pegs to fit the XRL.
Get to it will ya! Put your back into it and all that jazz.
i did the best i could!! i simply read the text that said his pegs were for an XT600E. my back is in a spinal brace! its all im capable of!!!! geeeeeze!! and i hate jazz!! the Beastie boys is where its at!!

Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #50531
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Can anyone verify that this is the correct Moose Racing gasket to replace the factory gasket p/n 11394-MY2-621 ???

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...tm?Click=35177

And has anyone used the Moose gasket? Good, bad, ugly? It would be nice to pay $5 instead of $30...
I am using one now. It has not giving me any problems in 2000 miles. Just make sure you remove all the old gasket.When you remove the clutch cover lookout for a dowel that sits on the oil pump.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #50532
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 777
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE

FELLOW XRL GEARHEADS!!!

have a safe and happy holiday! and hope Santa brought you your brand spanky new handlebars, high comp piston, luggage rack, or whatever the fuck it is you asked him to bring you for your big red (possibly white if ur stuck in the 90s) badass 650L! pray your not on his naughty list!

Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #50533
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

I'd choose #3. EDIT: Doh! Let me finish stating what I started. I meant run the carb dry. I'd pick #2, filled to the brim, with stabilizer, petcock off.

Just an FYI, I don't know how close to you these are but you can buy pure Gas at a few stations in Seattle...

For the rest of you, just click on your state.
Thanks for the advice, and also for the gasoline station information. I see that they even have an app for this. Very cool.

As I said earlier, most marine fuel docks will sell pure gasoline as well. For some reason Cenex also has it. I have the following choices (only a 20 minute ride from my place):

Poulsbo CENEX 87 Chs Inc 20370 Viking Way Nw
Poulsbo UNBRANDED 87 Port Of Poulsbo Marina
Old 12-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #50534
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Here's what I got.....

Clean and wax it. Check

Change oil. Check

Drain the carb and fuel tank. I will drain the carb, shut off the petcock. I like the other suggestions about filling the tank with pure gasoline, but add a stabilizer.

Disconnect the battery. Check

Due to the humidity, fog the engine to keep rust from occuring in the cylinder. Ummm. How do I do this? Do you mean spray the engine with something like WD40??

Plug the tailpipe to keep insects and moisture out. Check. Great idea.

Cover the airbox intake to keep mice, insects and moisture out. Check. Actually, mice/squirrels are a real problem here, and they love to chew through wiring.

Put mouse poison containers out and insect repellent around the bike. Check

Put a cover over/around it.

Put a couple of locks in the discs. Check

A big lock to go around anything near it.

Get a big mean dog to tie to the shed. Have geese instead. They were good enough to warn the Romans of the Visigoths, right?

Thanks a bunch, MentalGuru
Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #50535
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABIKEPRO View Post

This is an AWESOME setup.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote