Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #50581
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
so i am ordering the same cooler you have tonight spud. i am gonna run some bent stainless lines only cuz i have it.
could you post up a close up pic of your final fender mod. got lost in your write up as to how much you trimmed and final slots. also do you think it would matter if the lines from the cooler were pointed up?
The Baker Prescision oil cooler is very rugged, and does an excellent job radiating heat; you will like it. You can position the oil cooler with the lines pointing upward, but you will need to modify my mounting hardware. Also, I felt my oil lines were more secure, and I gained greater clearance from the fork tubes by routing the oil lines as I did.

If you have not moved your fork tubes upward in the triple tree, you will have clearance between the wheel and the oil cooler, even with full compression of the forks. However, you must trim the end of the fender so the wheel won't contact the fender before it would have contacted the oil cooler.

Here's a photograph of my trimmed fender taken from page 4 of my oil cooler thread.

Please do document your work in my oil cooler thread. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you present your questions in my thread, the answers will be documented for everyone else who might wish to duplicate your work in the future. If anyone is interested, here's a link to my oil cooler thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781962

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 11:05 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #50582
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Will do, i will take pics and post there.
I am gonna make a diff. Mount though. Just wasnt clear on final hole/holes in fender.
Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #50583
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 357
xrlinks.com

beechum sent me some links, and i put some spud links/info on their too. if you have more, shoot them to me and i'll get them on http://www.xrlinks.com. again, no advertising or anything hokey. just a site i did to try and remember all the gems/jewels from this site and and others, regarding the XR650L. i had plans to do it for the R, and the 400, but may scrap that. enjoy!
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #50584
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Thanks beachum for the video. Beautiful XRL country, wish I was closer!
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #50585
nic579
x

Oddometer: 365
I am about to move on parts for the missing front end of the bike I just purchased. I have decided to go with the USD conversion but am not completely clear on the interchangeability of parts so I want to check with you all.

Here is what I am looking at. Will these parts work and give my speedo connection? :
07 CRF450R forks and tripple clamps
07 CRF250x wheel axle and spacers

Nick

nic579 screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 08:51 AM
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #50586
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,036
Nick,

You will have to come up with a new (Emig Racing) or modified steering stem to use the CRF triples. Also the CRF triples will not accept either the head light or the ignition switch/fork lock. You'll also need to check the steering stops. You will need a CRF caliper to fork adaptor. The XRL caliper is the same as a CRF caliper..

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #50587
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Nick,

You will have to come up with a new (Emig Racing) or modified steering stem to use the CRF triples. Also the CRF triples will not accept either the head light or the ignition switch/fork lock. You'll also need to check the steering stops. You will need a CRF caliper to fork adaptor. The XRL caliper is the same as a CRF caliper..
Sounds simple enough I think I am too old & too slow to attempt this & not fast enough to appreciate it if I did
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #50588
nic579
x

[QUOTE=mcma111;20330917]Nick,

You will have to come up with a new (Emig Racing) or modified steering stem to use the CRF triples. Also the CRF triples will not accept either the head light or the ignition switch/fork lock. You'll also need to check the steering stops. You will need a CRF caliper to fork adaptor. The XRL caliper is the same as a CRF caliper..[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info Steve, by the way love the Boxers. I foster some of the the wayward pups through http://www.secondchanceboxer.org/ our current foster is Mason http://www.flickr.com/photos/secondc...th/8081202784/

So the wheel + forks should work together. I have on order a Trail Tech vapor but like the idea of the stock speedo.

I should be able to take care of the steering stem modifications myself. Bottom + top sleeve to fit the xr650l stem into the crf450r clamps. Is it possible to fab up proper mounting to make the stock headlight fit or has that been done yet? Doesn't look like it would be all that hard, speedo mounts to top clamp and plastic to bottom, I might have to give it a try. I have to admit I have not looked at the parts off the bike and some were off already so I may be miss judging the assembly. As for the steering lock I guess I would be out, which sucks.

Nick

nic579 screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 10:04 AM
Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #50589
nic579
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Sounds simple enough I think I am too old & too slow to attempt this & not fast enough to appreciate it if I did
If my bike came with the front end I wouldn't bother but since its missing and what I have of it is bent why not go for the upgrade.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #50590
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,521
Couple more:

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #50591
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Will do, i will take pics and post there.
I am gonna make a diff. Mount though. Just wasnt clear on final hole/holes in fender.
Thanks again.
You're welcome. If you want the greatest oil cooling to occur, it's very important to have maximum airflow over the oil cooler. A smaller oil cooler placed in maximum airflow will cool as much, or more, than a larger oil cooler with blocked air flow. My 4"x4", Baker Precision oil cooler is very well protected, and receives excellent air flow below the front fender, and over the front tire.

After cutting a 4"x4" slot in the rear of the front fender, my oil temperatures were as low as they were when I tested the oil cooler with the front fender completely removed.

I experimented by drilling holes in the front fender before I cut out the slot; the holes did not allow much airflow, and greatly reduced the oil cooler's ability to radiate heat.

You can experiment with fender slots of different shapes, but you can't go wrong with a single, 4"x4" slot.

I suggest you record oil temperatures without a fender, and with a stock fender, before you make any slots in the front fender. Using this method I recorded maximum oil cooling with a 4"x4" rectangle cut in the rear of the front fender.

The extra holes outside the 4"x4" rectangle were left over from my earlier experimentation. I don't think the extra holes help airflow, and they can be omitted.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 01:01 PM
Old 12-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #50592
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
If my bike came with the front end I wouldn't bother but since its missing and what I have of it is bent why not go for the upgrade.
Beats the heck outa me
Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #50593
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
Howdy everyone. My wife got me a Tusk clutch kit and some of the Tusk hand-warmer guards for Christmas yesterday. I went ahead and got the OE gasket and have the o-ring on order coming in tomorrow.

The hand-warmers (hippo hand wannabes) don't seem to fit over my handguards, and the stitching on one broke just trying to slide it on. Pretty disappointing, but they were pretty cheap. Anyone ever have to return anything to Rocky Mountain ATV? I'm just going to return them and get a gift card or my money back...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #50594
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 579
Wolfman side racks?

Anyone have a decent set of Wolfman side racks for sale? Fitment XR650L. Thanks!
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #50595
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Howdy everyone. My wife got me a Tusk clutch kit and some of the Tusk hand-warmer guards for Christmas yesterday. I went ahead and got the OE gasket and have the o-ring on order coming in tomorrow.

The hand-warmers (hippo hand wannabes) don't seem to fit over my handguards, and the stitching on one broke just trying to slide it on. Pretty disappointing, but they were pretty cheap. Anyone ever have to return anything to Rocky Mountain ATV? I'm just going to return them and get a gift card or my money back...
I was going to return an item once, but I changed my mind. I didn't have any problems getting authorization for a refund; Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has excellent customer service. Just give them a phone call, and I'm sure they will take good care of you.

Spud