User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #50596
rpmmike
crash

Oddometer: 8
XR650L custom tank

Has anyone ever made an aluminum fuel tank with ktm radiator shrouds and a flatter seat? I'm thinking of making a new tank for the big red pig and I have some left over ktm parts from my race bike. Any thoughts?

I'm not trying to chrome plate a turd. It will only be putt around local stuff , no 500 mile rides . I'm just thinking narrow the tank and improve the seat to tank area. I'm thinking it will make it look 20 years newer.
rpmmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #50597
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmike View Post
Has anyone ever made an aluminum fuel tank with ktm radiator shrouds and a flatter seat? I'm thinking of making a new tank for the big red pig and I have some left over ktm parts from my race bike. Any thoughts?

I'm not trying to chrome plate a turd. It will only be putt around local stuff , no 500 mile rides . I'm just thinking narrow the tank and improve the seat to tank area. I'm thinking it will make it look 20 years newer.

A-Loop

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #50598
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
A-Loop

stock radiator shrouds from an 04 - 05 CRF450R will fit on that aloop tank. gives the bike an even sharper look

Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #50599
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Check out this link....

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...F-tank-shrouds

CRF plastics with a stock tank.... .

Hmmmmm...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #50600
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809

heres one of the first aloop kits back in the day. i was told i had the first kit and they needed feedback on how it fit my 89 xr600.i put my own graphics on it off a cr model.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #50601
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Has anyone installed Trackside grip heaters? I got some as a gift for Christmas and was wondering if I could install them on the stock throttle tube. Cyclegear also doesn't have the wattage draw on their web page.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #50602
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,315
should be ready in a minute:

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #50603
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmike View Post

A couple of things to think about as you sort through this... To get the seat flatter at the front, you have to make it taller in the rear (what A-Loop did). This then makes the already tall saddle height unreasonable for most sub 6'5" riders. The problem is that the frame head is really tall. If you try to get the top of the tank down any lower, you'd end up with essentially two saddle bag tanks. I guess you could do like Harley does and make two separate half tanks and hang one off each side of the frame with a petcock on each (watch... the next big thing... we'll all have to have a set)

Radiator shrouds... I dont understand the desire to hang radiator shrouds off of an air cooled bike. The stock elephant ears are silly looking, but with the plastic liner things inside of them, they do a decent job of funneling air over the head. A set of CRF (or KTM... pick a brand) radiator shrouds sit higher on the bike and probably will do little to channel air over the head. I dont get it. Maybe I am just getting old and crotchety.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #50604
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
...Maybe I am just getting old and crotchety.
Either that, or you are getting older, and wiser. I think the Acerbis Valdez (5.8-gallon fuel tank) looks better than radiator shrouds, and also holds a lot more fuel. However, I don't think the Acerbis Valdez does anything to help engine cooling. My Clarke, 4.7-gallon fuel tank is the perfect size for me.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #50605
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumbs down A 2 gallon tank? WTF?

Quote:
A-Loop

I got all excited seeing this A-Loop pic, but when I went to their site, the tank they give you in the kit above is only 2 gallons??? Thats ridiculous for a 650 dual sport...that would make my riding range completely useless....plus they were talking about how the kit would help turn your xrl into a real MX weapon???
I think A-Loop is slightly confused about the xrl's mission statement.

If they could do that look with a 4 gallon tank (or bigger for some folks), I'd be ordering a kit right now.
Too bad A-Loop
Old 12-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #50606
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,503
Quote:
Check out this link....

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...F-tank-shrouds

CRF plastics with a stock tank.... .

Hmmmmm...

Beautiful bike but I would need help getting on & off for sure
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #50607
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,748
As Mentioned Before!

Run a low front fender for better cooling. Acerbis Fast Front Fender. Build a couple of taller brackets to get it up over the tire an 11/2 inch or so. Leaves the head in the breeze for best cooling. Don't need no stinking elephant ears.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #50608
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
I like my Acerbis 5.8. Almost the same look and ability to carry enough fuel for everyone!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #50609
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I like my Acerbis 5.8. Almost the same look and ability to carry enough fuel for everyone!

Because of you Steve I put a spit fire windscreen on my bike. Made a world of difference when riding in the winter. Needless to say it does not look bad and is a good fit.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #50610
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
Because of you Steve I put a spit fire windscreen on my bike. Made a world of difference when riding in the winter. Needless to say it does not look bad and is a good fit.

Kurt
Cool! This was my second trip to Colorado and I didn't have it the first time. We are are notorious for getting lost and ending up 150-200 miles from the house at 4pm and have to slab it back. That windscreen made all of the difference in the world and I actually don't mind the looks of it either.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote