Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #50611
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
Cool! This was my second trip to Colorado and I didn't have it the first time. We are are notorious for getting lost and ending up 150-200 miles from the house at 4pm and have to slab it back. That windscreen made all of the difference in the world and I actually don't mind the looks of it either.
May I suggest a tip for you.
I drilled 2 holes in each lower corner of the windscreen. I'm sure as you notice that as you ride the screen bouces and vibrates a lot on the mounts. With the 2 holes drilled I mount the lower screen to the wind deflector above the head light with screws and plastic and rubber washers and wing nuts. It made the screen very solid with no vibration and you can still do a quick removal when you want. It also keeps the stock screen mount from coming loose as you ride on trails.
Even with the 2 lower mount points you can still loosen the upper screen mounts and tilt and adjust the screen to a point.

Even with lock tight in the mount crews on the stock mounts, when trail riding, it managed to shake itself loose.....not anymore!!!!!!

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #50612
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
...CRF plastics with a stock tank.... .

Hmmmmm...

I don't get it.....

Does this look better than stock? Better than the standard mods? (Clarke tank etc)

Who looks at the bike? Only when I'm working on mine do I look at it... and others only get to look at it when helping me get it back upright or when stopping for a break, but we're usually checking out the view, and the mechanical condition, not the artistic lines of the bikes...

Aesthetics are about the last of the priorities I'm concerned about for my dirt bike.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #50613
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
I drilled 2 holes in each lower corner of the windscreen. I'm sure as you notice that as you ride the screen bouces and vibrates a lot on the mounts. With the 2 holes drilled I mount the lower screen to the wind deflector above the head light with screws and plastic and rubber washers and wing nuts. It made the screen very solid with no vibration and you can still do a quick removal when you want. It also keeps the stock screen mount from coming loose as you ride on trails. ..Kurt
This must be what I missed. It was great on the 20 min. ride out to the mountains. But it didn't quite make it to the top of the first ridge; I had to take it off and carry it out in three pieces!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #50614
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
I drilled 2 holes in each lower corner of the windscreen. I'm sure as you notice that as you ride the screen bouces and vibrates a lot on the mounts. With the 2 holes drilled I mount the lower screen to the wind deflector above the head light with screws and plastic and rubber washers and wing nuts. It made the screen very solid with no vibration and you can still do a quick removal when you want. It also keeps the stock screen mount from coming loose as you ride on trails.
Even with the 2 lower mount points you can still loosen the upper screen mounts and tilt and adjust the screen to a point.

Even with lock tight in the mount crews on the stock mounts, when trail riding, it managed to shake itself loose.....not anymore!!!!!!

Kurt
Good idea. Yeah, when on trails mine kept coming loose so I finally used Gorilla tape on the wing nuts to keep them from backing out for a temporary fix.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #50615
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
This must be what I missed. It was great on the 20 min. ride out to the mountains. But it didn't quite make it to the top of the first ridge; I had to take it off and carry it out in three pieces!
Agreed, Mine would come loose after a few min's on the trail. With the lower screen mounted to the head light upper fairing it stays put now. In the summer I take it off. Don't really have to but I like the fresh air in the summer. Really makes riding at high speed nice though. Our upper bodies act like a wall moving against the wind with out it.

But to each his own.

Kurt

Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #50616
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't get it.....

Does this look better than stock? Better than the standard mods? (Clarke tank etc)

Who looks at the bike? Only when I'm working on mine do I look at it... and others only get to look at it when helping me get it back upright or when stopping for a break, but we're usually checking out the view, and the mechanical condition, not the artistic lines of the bikes...

Aesthetics are about the last of the priorities I'm concerned about for my dirt bike.
I'd say there's not a pair of our bikes exactly the same. It's all about what "you" like and what works for "you". Some are about looks, some are about function, some are about both. I like mine, but there are plenty here I like more or better and I plan on using some of those ideas in the future too.

Steve
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #50617
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
I don't get it.....

I saw that picture and thought wtf. I figured I'd post it for kicks...

Function first is how I think... That mod probably has no benefits and just adds things to break...

What I want is the custom tank kubiak built.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #50618
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Good idea. Yeah, when on trails mine kept coming loose so I finally used Gorilla tape on the wing nuts to keep them from backing out for a temporary fix.
Yes sir, it does get to be a pain in the butt to have to stop and tighten them all the time. I also added a 2 1 inch plastic spacers between the windscreen and the fairing. This allows a little bit of air to come up from behind the windscreen.

Kurt

Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #50619
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
I'd say there's not a pair of our bikes exactly the same. It's all about what "you" like and what works for "you". Some are about looks, some are about function, some are about both. I like mine, but there are plenty here I like more or better and I plan on using some of those ideas in the future too.

We are all special in some way....

Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #50620
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
We are all special in some way....

No question which one I am in that pic!

Steve
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #50621
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
The TUSK hand-warmers don't seem to fit over my handguards, and the stitching on one broke just trying to slide it on.

Love mine.... Mine are over Cycra's and the other bike has Acerbis Hand-guards. They work well with both... with slight modifications.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #50622
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
I don't get it.....

I dont get it either. Although... I did put CRF fenders on my bike purely for aesthetics, so I shouldn't get to slinging too much judgement around
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #50623
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Question How much to jet up for aftermarket header?

I'm thinking of possibly sticking an aftermarket header on my xrl to go with my big gun muffler and Daves mods/desnorkeled/desmogged/uni filter. I live and ride at 5000ft and up. I'm currently running a 58 pilot and 155 main jet, and the bike runs great. Plug color is good, maybe slightly rich with a dark tan/light chocolate color.
I'm wondering if I could just stick the header on, or would it make a big enough difference I'd need to jet up some more? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #50624
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I dont get it either. Although... I did put CRF fenders on my bike purely for aesthetics, so I shouldn't get to slinging too much judgement around

I've seen the pics of your bike. Nice use of lipstick...

Not too much.... its just right....

Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #50625
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm thinking of possibly sticking an aftermarket header on my xrl to go with my big gun muffler and Daves mods/desnorkeled/desmogged/uni filter. I live and ride at 5000ft and up. I'm currently running a 58 pilot and 155 main jet, and the bike runs great. Plug color is good, maybe slightly rich with a dark tan/light chocolate color.
I'm wondering if I could just stick the header on, or would it make a big enough difference I'd need to jet up some more? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback

Put the header on and see. One thing at a time. The header may not change jetting much, if any.

Put it on and do a few plug chops. It should be pretty close.