Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #51016
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
How about another controversial topic? I think I have enough tire info now. What are you guys running for tubes with good results? Also, if I am running knobbies at higher pressures (mid 20's) do I need a rim lock? Lastly, are dynabeads the way to go for balancing knobs for the street?

I'm going to go with Spud's recommendation and try the D952 rear tire and the CST Surge-I front. I'm impressed with the mileage he is getting from them, and the price is right. Looking at the stuff he rides, those tires should be more than enough for what I ride. If I had more money to spend I would go with what Fritz is running and try the Karoo rear.

Waiting to hear back about a fork brace at the moment, but if that falls through I'll be ordering tires very soon. If I do get the fork brace, I'll probably order tires next month for my birthday!
Rim-locks... Very nice to have if/when you have a flat. I had a flat on the rear coming home from work two years ago and the rim lock probably saved my bacon. I was in traffic, at speed and couldn't "pull to the side". The rim-lock kept the tire on the rim and allowed me to turn and brake safely. If the tire had gone AWOL on me... well, use your imagination.
I wouldn't think of trail riding without rim-locks. I also wouldn't think of trail riding with high tire psi. Must have for off-road.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #51017
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
It's ripple. Buck 95 a half gallon.
If it's good enough for Fred Sanford, well, you know...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #51018
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
I was going to try some lightweight rim locks like these...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...eLoc-Rim-Lock-

I might use 2 in the front.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #51019
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
How about another controversial topic? I think I have enough tire info now. What are you guys running for tubes with good results? Also, if I am running knobbies at higher pressures (mid 20's) do I need a rim lock? Lastly, are dynabeads the way to go for balancing knobs for the street?...
I like the Bridgestone Heavy Duty inner tubes. You can get them for a good price at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...otorcycle-Tube

A lot of dirt bike riders prefer the even thicker, Bridgestone Ulta Heavy Duty inner tubes. However, those inner tubes are heavier than I need for the riding and the terrain I encounter. Also, some riders report these thicker tubes make tire mounting more difficult.

If you run 20 psi, or higher, in your inner tubes, you don't need a rim lock. I currently don't use rim locks, and I usually ride at 65 mph, or lower. Therefore, I don't need to balance my knobby tires. However, I did buy some DynaBeads, and I'm going to give them a try. Most people who have actually tried the DynaBeads like them.

You can buy the DynaBeads from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+starter+kitse

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 12:33 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #51020
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Rim-locks... Very nice to have if/when you have a flat...
That's the truth. Several years ago I got a flat front tire while riding a paved back road at 45 mph. As I coasted along the front tire separated from the rim. Somehow (Divine providence) I managed to maintain control of the bike, and coasted off into the grassy berm without crashing. Rim locks are an excellent safety feature for tubed tires, especially the front tire. I bought some rim locks last year; I think I'll install them this spring.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #51021
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Not sure on street but i had a flat this summer and rode about 3-4 miles on a flat tire.
I was on a dirt road though at lower speed.
It actually helped because it de beaded the tire from the rim making it easy to change the tube.
Still waiting for the oil cooler to show!
Got a fork brace also.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #51022
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
I got around to installing the grip heaters last night. I used the blinker idea, but when I installed it, it blinks all the time. The sound was not so much an issue, but I thought he lifespan on the blinker would be shortened by having it blink whenever the key is turned on. So I moved the blinker so that it only gets power when on the low setting: (99% stolen graphic from ThumpnRed)

My blinker relay also had a negative pole, but I didn't add it to the diagram.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #51023
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
How about another controversial topic? I think I have enough tire info now. What are you guys running for tubes with good results? Also, if I am running knobbies at higher pressures (mid 20's) do I need a rim lock? Lastly, are dynabeads the way to go for balancing knobs for the street?

I'm going to go with Spud's recommendation and try the D952 rear tire and the CST Surge-I front. I'm impressed with the mileage he is getting from them, and the price is right. Looking at the stuff he rides, those tires should be more than enough for what I ride. If I had more money to spend I would go with what Fritz is running and try the Karoo rear.

Waiting to hear back about a fork brace at the moment, but if that falls through I'll be ordering tires very soon. If I do get the fork brace, I'll probably order tires next month for my birthday!
Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. The tire within a tire. No pinch flats in 10,000 miles and I have hit some nasty rocks along the way.
Haywood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #51024
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
What are you guys running for tubes with good results? Also, if I am running knobbies at higher pressures (mid 20's) do I need a rim lock? Lastly, are dynabeads the way to go for balancing knobs for the street?
+1 on Bridgestone HD. I am running Dyna Beads and I think it smooths the ride out a bit - or it could just be my imagination... At any rate they don't hurt the ride.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #51025
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

A lot of dirt bike riders prefer the even thicker, Bridgestone Ulta Heavy Duty inner tubes. However, those inner tubes are heavier than I need for the riding and the terrain I encounter. Also, some riders report these thicker tubes make tire mounting more difficult.

as long as you do the tube in the tire prior to mounting trick it doesnt make any difference
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #51026
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
Fork brace on the way! Thanks Marko!

Looks like new tires will wait until my birthday next month...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #51027
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
...I moved the blinker so that it only gets power when on the low setting...My blinker relay also had a negative pole, but I didn't add it to the diagram.
You did it right; the blinker should only see power when you wish it inserted in the circuit. The 'negative' wire on the blinker is puzzling; I would expect that only on an electronic blinker - an electronic one would need a wire to ground so the circuitry would see a power supply regardless of the state of the blinker.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #51028
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
UPS info....
Anyway, no pigs were tossed in the ditch during the making of these pics.
The snow had been compressed into ice in the tire tracks and had been rained on some everywhere else. It was slick as hell everywhere. I had to turn around as I could make it up that hill.

Beat me to it. For me, I was averaging 1,000 miles a month for close to the first three years of ownership.
I did buy the 08 to ride while to the 04 is getting a major teardown/service. Not necessarily for the engine but it does have that intermittent noise coming from the right exhaust valve area. Last time I started it though, it was nice and quiet.
Ooops, I ment Gps.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #51029
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Ooops, I ment Gps.

ment.....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #51030
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
ment.....

B
Watch out! The Grammar Police are watching!

Spud