Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #51046
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
Ya.
You Californians are aw-rite

PS: you're quoting TJ... his place is less than an hr. away, just over the mtn.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #51047
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Have you tried the old Mojave trail from Barstow to Fort Mojave (Laughlin) on the XRL? I've done the ride a couple of times, once on the XRL. There are a few sections that the big pig is a real handful, but it's a very doable ride. It takes jeeps and other 4x4's several days to cross, but it can easily be done on a day on a bike.
I haven't done that part, but I can attest to the XR650L being a handful, especially when you're overloaded. This is from my last ride when she got out from under me around the 1:40 minute mark.

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #51048
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Yes. The Bridgestone Ultra tubes are 4mm thick. I prefer the Bridgestone Heavy Duty tubes, which are 3mm thick. The standard, Bridgestone inner tubes are 1mm thick.

http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...42&LookupID=26
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...43&LookupID=26
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...44&LookupID=26

Spud
Where the hell is 2mm tube? I personally think tubes suck. A necessary evil if you will. I can't think of one good attribute about them. I have a friend who swears by the Neutec tubliss system. He has them on his super trick KTM300 and doesn't see why they wouldn't work well on the Ls. I am going to one on the rear of my new RM250. Getting rid of all that weight, the WORST kind, unsprung rotating mass, has to be helpful–yes, even to a bloated pig. He says the inner inner tube needs air every week or so. He fixes zero flats on that bike now. I know they're controversial, but everyone who has tried them (and followed the directions on installation) loves them. Somebody on here sometime ago was using them....?

Now to my next question, why the hell don't moto bikes have a center ridge on the rims for anchoring spokes thus allowing them to run a tubeless set-up? Trials guys have been doing it for years, and heck, even mountain bikes have them now. What gives? I need an answer.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #51049
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=RZRob;20382761]I haven't done that part, but I can attest to the XR650L being a handful, especially when you're overloaded. This is from my last ride when she got out from under me around the 1:40 minute mark.

RZ Rob

Thanks for sharing I like a good lay down where nobody gets hurt.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #51050
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Where the hell is 2mm tube? I personally think tubes suck. A necessary evil if you will. I can't think of one good attribute about them. I have a friend who swears by the Neutec tubliss system. He has them on his super trick KTM300 and doesn't see why they wouldn't work well on the Ls. I am going to one on the rear of my new RM250. Getting rid of all that weight, the WORST kind, unsprung rotating mass, has to be helpful–yes, even to a bloated pig. He says the inner inner tube needs air every week or so. He fixes zero flats on that bike now. I know they're controversial, but everyone who has tried them (and followed the directions on installation) loves them. Somebody on here sometime ago was using them....?

Now to my next question, why the hell don't moto bikes have a center ridge on the rims for anchoring spokes thus allowing them to run a tubeless set-up? Trials guys have been doing it for years, and heck, even mountain bikes have them now. What gives? I need an answer.
Motorcycles are sooooo far behind mountain bikes in high tech equipment. I was running tubeless on my mountain bikes 10 years ago. Air forks... 10+ years ago. Motocrossers this year have air forks... it's a NEW thing!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #51051
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Motorcycles are sooooo far behind mountain bikes in high tech equipment. I was running tubeless on my mountain bikes 10 years ago. Air forks... 10+ years ago. Motocrossers this year have air forks... it's a NEW thing!
In many ways you are correct. One of the reasons is the massive necessity for bikes to be light. That automatically makes things have trick, lightweight materials that are generally well engineered (no excess). Also, many things that work on a 25lb. bike won't hold up to the abuse of a 240 motocrosser. That said, all the mountain bike suspension tech. was borrowed from MX (same with motorcycle road racing). Think about what the oil does flowing through a valving body after landing from a supercross triple. Crazy. Think about the temperature spikes.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #51052
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Motocrossers this year have air forks... it's a NEW thing!
Or maybe not so new. My 1982 CX500TC TURBO had air forks. Recommended air pressure was 11 to 17 PSI.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #51053
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Where the hell is 2mm tube?...
That's a good question. It's hard to discover the thickness of standard inner tubes. In my research, only Bridgestone specifies the thicknesses of all its inner tubes. Some people report the thickness of a standard, motorcycle inner tube is 1.75mm, 1.8mm, or 2mm. However, I can't confirm those numbers from manufacturer's data. Indeed, only Bridgestone specifies the thickness of its standard tube, and Bridgestone says the thickness is 1mm.

Many "heavy duty" tubes from other manufacturers are 2.5mm thick. Bridgestone specifies its Heavy Duty inner tube is 3mm thick.

Many "ultra heavy duty" tubes from other manufacturers are 3mm thick. According to my research, only Michelin and Bridgestone "ultra heavy duty" inner tubes are 4mm thick.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #51054
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 710
Those look promising.

I read recently about an idea to add the stick on type of wheel weights directly to the wheel rim on the inside, under the tube.

The idea was to balance the wheel with the tire and tube unmounted but with the rim lock in place. Place the stick on weights opposite the rim lock, and perhaps also add some reinforcing tape around the wheel weights and spokes to hold things together better (replace the rubber strap).

Supposedly the stick on weights will be small enough, with a low profile so they don't interfere with tire/tube changes?

My stick on weights were on the outside of my rims and they have since fallen off Perhaps this year when changing my tires I'll try the weights on the inside trick for wheel balancing.

Yeah, would still need some weight added on the outside to balance the assembly when the tire and tube gets mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
I was going to try some lightweight rim locks like these...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...eLoc-Rim-Lock-

I might use 2 in the front.

Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #51055
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,292
Rim locks

I have had my rear tire go flat and separate off the rim and when it happened I couldn't get over to the side of the road very quickly and the bike was going sideways as I rode it over to the shoulder. That's when I found out my wife cancelled road side assistance because we could save a few bucks... so I had her follow me home for three miles. While i was waiting for her though I found that the nail that punctured my tire completely shredded the tube....

After that I really started to worry about the front going out, especially at highway speed, so I installed some Tubliss tubes that act like a 360 degree rimlock that also have a standard rimlock and balanced them with dyna beads. I've ran like that now for about 4000 miles or so at speeds well in excess of the speed limit and I don't get any crazy vibes from them, I feel a lot safer knowing that the front tire can lose all pressure and still be locked to the rim. I will say that I did NOT like the idea of drilling a hole for the second valve stem in the rim though...

Here's a link to the tubliss things I was talking about...

http://tubliss.com/

-Barron
Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #51056
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,547
Hey Fritz...

Just curious, what are you thoughts on your Husky TE610 compared to the XRL?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #51057
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Do you have trouble maintaining the 100 psi pressure in the inner bladder, Barron?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #51058
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Or maybe not so new. My 1982 CX500TC TURBO had air forks. Recommended air pressure was 11 to 17 PSI.

Walter
Love it turbo Honda. That was a neat machine.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #51059
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Spud, I would love to see what you think of the tubliss system. I know they do recommend rims that are fairly straight.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #51060
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Spud, I would love to see what you think of the tubliss system. I know they do recommend rims that are fairly straight.
I'm interested to hear what Barron has to say about the system; he has been using it for quite a while. In particular, I wonder how well the inner bladder retains the 100 psi pressure.

Spud