Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #51181
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Spud, thanks for the link to the DRC heat shield. I have added one to cart! No more burned pant for me.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Can someone help me out, what o-ring is the one that needs sometimes need replaced when the left side case comes off?

Part #19 is the O-ring which seals the pipe connecting the oil pump to the right crankcase cover. You should also replace the oil seal, part #20 in the following diagram.

This part seals the oil passenge which feeds the end of the crankshaft.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #51182
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,509
RSW Fork Brace installed yesterday evening. First impressions... awesome!

In the little riding I did today the front end felt much more stable than it had before. I can't wait to get it out on another logging road and trail ride to put it through its paces.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #51183
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,509
What size Rim Locks would I need for the XRL?

Mine doesn't have any currently, and I'm still debating whether to actually put any on it when I switch tires. I won't be airing down the tires below 20 psi, and I won't be doing any really extreme riding.

Would I be okay without the rim locks, or should I put one on the rear? Or go ahead and get front and rear? The extra insurance knowing the bead won't come off if I get a flat would be nice, but I'm worried they'd be a pain to get balanced.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #51184
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
What size Rim Locks would I need for the XRL?

Mine doesn't have any currently, and I'm still debating whether to actually put any on it when I switch tires. I won't be airing down the tires below 20 psi, and I won't be doing any really extreme riding.

Would I be okay without the rim locks, or should I put one on the rear? Or go ahead and get front and rear? The extra insurance knowing the bead won't come off if I get a flat would be nice, but I'm worried they'd be a pain to get balanced.
The front rim is size 1.60x21, and takes a size 1.60 rim lock. The rear rim is size 2.15x18, and takes a size 2.15 rim lock. Rim locks are designed to hold the tire on the rim at low air pressures. If you keep your tire pressures above 20 psi, you don't need rim locks.

If you ride any distance on a flat tire without a rim lock, you will probably rip the valve stem from the inner tube. If you are riding in the dirt when the flat occurs, you will likely maintain control of the motorcycle. If you get a flat, front tire on pavement without a rim lock, there is an excellent chance you will hit the asphalt after the front tire walks off the rim.

I keep both tires inflated to 26 psi at all times; therefore, I have never used rim locks on my XR650L. However, I'm sorely tempted to install rim locks purely for safety while riding on pavement.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 09:30 PM
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #51185
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Thanks Spud for the part IDs.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #51186
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,792
Quote:
Also, how do you post a youtube video here? I finally got an account. Now back to Supercross.
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #51187
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
T
If you ride any distance on a flat tire without a rim lock, you will probably rip the valve stem from the inner tube. If you are riding in the dirt when the flat occurs, you will likely maintain control of the motorcycle. If you get a flat, front tire on pavement without a rim lock, there is an excellent chance you will hit the asphalt after the front tire walks off the rim.

I keep both tires inflated to 26 psi at all times; therefore, I have never used rim locks on my XR650L. However, I'm sorely tempted to install rim locks purely for safety while riding on pavement.

Spud
How many times have you actually had a front tire flat?

In 40 years of riding and several hundred thousand miles I have only had one. Maybe I'm just lucky. It was pretty non-exciting as flat tires go. Seemed like my front tire had more traction than normal. Figured it must be this new pavement they have here, but it just didn't feel right. After about ten miles of this I pulled over at a convenient spot. Sure enough front tire was completely flat. No rim locks used here either.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #51188
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post

In 40 years of riding and several hundred thousand miles I have only had one. Maybe I'm just lucky...

Walter
I have also had one flat front tire, but one was enough. I was riding on pavement at approximately 45mph when the front tire went flat. The front tire separated from the rim, and I don't know how I kept the bike upright; I attribute my "luck" to divine providence. Perhaps it only took a minute or two to coast to a stop on the grassy berm, but it seemed like an eternity. I hope it never happens again.

Perhaps I will never have another, flat front tire, but I am reluctant to take that chance. If it happens again, and I fall to the pavement because I didn't have a front rim lock installed, I won't have anyone to blame but myself.

Spud
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #51189
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Weekend Update

Just got back from Supercross Season Opener, Round 1, Anaheim. Basically uneventful racing. Notable was the fact that there appeared to be a changing of the guard. I don't want to spoil it for those that didn't watch it live on TV.

One exciting thing was I'd sold my 4 extra Diamond Club seats to a very famous fashion designer who is also a car and motorcycle buff and wealthy beyond our wildest dreams. The guy has 2 Enzos, a Mercedes SLR McClaren and an SLS and get this, 4 Desmosedicis. I was told the purchaser was a billionaire, but I was expecting an actor. This guy was very nondescript. While I invited him to our suite, he was content with the Diamond Club. I can't say I ever met anyone with a greater net worth (although I did stand next to Micheal Jordon at the USGP in '05).

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #51190
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I have also had one flat front tire, but one was enough. I was riding on pavement at approximately 45mph when the front tire went flat. The front tire separated from the rim, and I don't know how I kept the bike upright; I attribute my "luck" to divine providence. Perhaps it only took a minute or two to coast to a stop on the grassy berm, but it seemed like an eternity. I hope it never happens again.

Perhaps I will never have another, flat front tire, but I am reluctant to take that chance. If it happens again, and I fall to the pavement because I didn't have a front rim lock installed, I won't have anyone to blame but myself.

Spud
Double Springs Pass????

I have had many front flats. Have ridden many miles on flat tires. Front flats it is important to keep your wits about you, sit back as far as possible, don't chop off the throttle,,,ease off while applying rear brake. A Piggy full of gas is tough to handle for sure,,,especially 5.8 gal.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #51191
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Just got back from Supercross Season Opener, Round 1, Anaheim. Basically uneventful racing. Notable was the fact that there appeared to be a changing of the guard. I don't want to spoil it for those that didn't watch it live on TV.

One exciting thing was I'd sold my 4 extra Diamond Club seats to a very famous fashion designer who is also a car and motorcycle buff and wealthy beyond our wildest dreams. The guy has 2 Enzos, a Mercedes SLR McClaren and an SLS and get this, 4 Desmosedicis. I was told the purchaser was a billionaire, but I was expecting an actor. This guy was very nondescript. While I invited him to our suite, he was content with the Diamond Club. I can't say I ever met anyone with a greater net worth (although I did stand next to Micheal Jordon at the USGP in '05).

RZ Rob
I've got two favorites Vilopoto,,and Idaho homeboy Jake Wiemer. But I really was happy for the first place finisher in the 450s.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #51192
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post

In my years of riding offroad, I haven't had any YET. However, all the bikes I've owned have had rim locks including my xrl. I just feel safer with them installed. Also, its my understanding that the hole for the rimlock should be opposite the valve stem but on my xrl, that isn't the case. On tire pressure, I run higher on the slab but if I get off into the dirt I lower it.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #51193
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 444
EAR by Supertrapp, bolt issues

So, awhile back I bought a used EAR by Supertrapp muffler that fits the XRL from a fellow inmate for a good price. I've been busy and just now had a chance to try and put it on the bike. Before doing so, I figured I'd open it up and make sure it's clean, doesn't need repacking, etc.

4 of the 6 bolts came out fine, but the last two came out about half way, then decided to start spinning freely. From what I can tell, the bolt that's welded to the inside has come loose and is stuck to the end of the bolt, just freewheeling away. I tried putting some outward pressure against the plates and turning to see if I could generate enough friction to hold it, but no dice.

Any other suggestions? Is this salvageable, or am I SOL? Thanks in advance!
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #51194
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
A built XR with a Rekluse and a clutch side hand brake would be a great holigan bike. Wheelies would be way more fun...

Unfortunately Rekluse has never made one for the XRL & no longer offer one for the XRR either COMON MAN!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #51195
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Unfortunately Rekluse has never made one for the XRL & no longer offer one for the XRR either COMON MAN!!
Patience... Have heard rumors
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote