Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #51196
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
How many times have you actually had a front tire flat?

two in the last few months, on dirt. One while in a turn and lost the bike. Apparently in my buddy's mirror it was a spectacular yard sale.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #51197
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
RSW Fork Brace installed yesterday evening. First impressions... awesome!

In the little riding I did today the front end felt much more stable than it had before. I can't wait to get it out on another logging road and trail ride to put it through its paces.
You'll find that ruts wont be near the issue they used to be. I still get a bit of pucker factor when I get in a rut, but the bike with the brace pops right out. Just too many memories of 70's enduros and not being able to get a bike out of a rut (cow trail).
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #51198
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Unfortunately Rekluse has never made one for the XRL & no longer offer one for the XRR either COMON MAN!!
yeah they did. Marko had one....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #51199
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 441
Had another thought as I was firing up the grill for dinner - what if I cut off the broken bolts, take the muffler apart and remove the broken parts, then drill out all the holes and use rivet nuts or similar? Thoughts?
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #51200
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
Had another thought as I was firing up the grill for dinner - what if I cut off the broken bolts, take the muffler apart and remove the broken parts, then drill out all the holes and use rivet nuts or similar? Thoughts?
That procedure will work. Some mufflers are manufactured with rivets only. With those mufflers it is standard procedure to drill out the rivets to disassemble the muffler, and install new rivets upon re-assembly.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #51201
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
I would cut the heads off with a small cutting disk and punch the other ends into the can. When you get the can apart you can recover the bolt ends. I have a rivet gun so I would put the end back on with rivets myself.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #51202
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
That procedure will work. Some mufflers are manufactured with rivets only. With those mufflers it is standard procedure to drill out the rivets to disassemble the muffler, and install new rivets upon re-assembly.

Spud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
I would cut the heads off with a small cutting disk and punch the other ends into the can. When you get the can apart you can recover the bolt ends. I have a rivet gun so I would put the end back on with rivets myself.

Kurt
Good info to know from both of you - thanks. I guess my concern with rivets is that this is the older style Supertrapp with exposed discs, not the newer internal discs and turndown endcap. The bolts are about 3" long, and hold the discs and flat endcap onto the muffler, so I don't think I'll be able to use normal rivets for it. I'll get the bolts cut off, clean it out and see what looks like it'll be most sturdy. Going to be ordering from McMaster anyway, since I haven't found anywhere that sells stuff like that in Belgium, so any connector is fair game.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #51203
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
Double Springs Pass????...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
...I have had many front flats. Have ridden many miles on flat tires. Front flats it is important to keep your wits about you, sit back as far as possible, don't chop off the throttle,,,ease off while applying rear brake. A Piggy full of gas is tough to handle for sure,,,especially 5.8 gal.
Thanks for posting the good tips. Prayer also helps.

I'm keeping my tire pressure at 26 psi, but I'm going to install rim locks this riding season. I'm getting too old to crash on pavement, and I still get the chills remembering how I dodged the bullet last time.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #51204
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Thanks Bomber!
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #51205
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Carb to exhaust tuning.

I bought my 95 XR650L with only 7900 miles on her. The bike is bone stock. Needless to say I have been doing quite a few mods that have read here on this thread.

I ride most of the time just under 4000 feet and venture to 9000 feet every so often. Most of the rides consist of hard or soft dirt tree line riding. I do live at sea level.

I have done research here in the threads about the carb mod and jetting for the exhaust. I have a FMF Q4 coming and a set of 55-155 jets coming for the bike.
I plan on drilling the slider holes out to 5/32 holes.

Question:
Do I need to shim the needle with the larger jets or try it with out.??

Thanks Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #51206
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
clutch cover

the clutch casing from the xr and xl 600 will not fit on my rfvc 650
(im doing the kickstart upgrade)
as its a 1997ish model with the large oil pump.
has anybody solved this problem rather than swapping in the smaller pump?
i would like to keep the high output pump as the motor will be big bored and fat cam etc.
its a 1997 slr 650 bottom end with twin carb head.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #51207
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

. I'm getting too old to crash on pavement, and I still get the chills remembering how I dodged the bullet last time.

Spud

I think I've always been too old for crashing on pavement. I looped out my NX250 and RD 200 in college. You would think I could wheelie better by now, but I'm still a wuss. CW power definitely helps lengthen the power wheelies.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #51208
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post

Question:
Do I need to shim the needle with the larger jets or try it with out.??

Thanks Kurt
Shim it. The richer mid range it provides contributes a lot to the improved ridability of the bike. Use (I think, Spud may correct me) a #4 washer.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #51209
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Fork brace on the way! Thanks Marko!
Which fork brace did you go with?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #51210
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I'd sold my 4 extra Diamond Club seats to a very famous fashion designer who is also a car and motorcycle buff and wealthy beyond our wildest dreams. The guy has 2 Enzos, a Mercedes SLR McClaren and an SLS and get this, 4 Desmosedicis.
No XRL?

Pfff. Amateur...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote