Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #51301
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
I bought another set of Easton EXP bars Woods Hi/Freestyle bend and 7/8" to 1 3/8" adapter mounts. The bars will be here tomorrow.

Test fit my the KTM/Suzuki bend Easton EXP bars. Everything will work great togeather I set the bars at 0 degrees and everything bolted up perfectly.

This is what your seeing: CR250 USD billet upper triple, Acerbis Supermoto handguards, Cryra front triple handguard mounts, Easton EXP KTM/Suzuki bend bars and XR650L turnsignal mounts.

The Cryra front triple handguard mounts are nice and have two handguard mounting holes instead of one like the pictured on the website.

My Woods Hi/Freestyle bars will be here tomorrow. I'll post up pictures of the 3 bends and the 7/8" adapter mounts too.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #51302
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,509
So, getting away from gearing...

Is anyone running a "low" front fender? Or does anyone have a link to one that would work with a fork brace?

Has anyone tried mounting a regular fender to the fork brace to allow more air flow to the head (and deflect water/dirt better)? Pictures???
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #51303
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post

Is anyone running a "low" front fender? Or does anyone have a link to one that would work with a fork brace?

Has anyone tried mounting a regular fender to the fork brace to allow more air flow to the head (and deflect water/dirt better)? Pictures???
I am going with a low mount but that's a different application,

I think allot for the off-roaders frown on the low mount fenders due to the fact they pack mud relay easily and possibly causing drag or lockup on the front tire due to the close proximity of the fender.

That being said I have seen a few photos of DR 650s with low mount setups but were bastardized sport bike fenders or a older acerbis low mount front fenders that seem to no longer be manufactured.

If your dead set on getting one I think the BMW GS 650 front fender would require the least modification to fit the XRs stock forks with a brace but have not seen it done nor have I mocked one up.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #51304
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post

Sure you can. I have done a couple of fender mod's for lowering them down toward the tire. You can use a street fender off a SV650, KTM. I have mount fenders on top of the fork brace and under it. It will take a bit of modding with any fender you use though.
Just find the one you like and go for it. When you mod a item for a bike it is all just trail and error. But most of the time someone comes up with away to get it done.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #51305
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
Sure you can. I have done a couple of fender mod's for lowering them down toward the tire. You can use a street fender off a SV650, KTM. I have mount fenders on top of the fork brace and under it. It will take a bit of modding with any fender you use though.
Just find the one you like and go for it. When you mod a item for a bike it is all just trail and error. But most of the time someone comes up with away to get it done.

Kurt
I was looking at my current fender (aftermarket Acerbis) and the spacing of the mounting holes, and it appears that the slots in the fork brace might line up pretty well with the mounting holes. I wouldn't want it sitting too close to the tire, so I thought that mounting it above the fork brace would work pretty well. I'll play around with what I have and see how much modification it would need.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #51306
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,775
Ran!

My XRL with an Acerbis Low Fast Front Fender for years without the mud problem. Does 2 things really well. Keeps the Head cooler(more air) and keeps the bike a lot cleaner. Looks a little funny but hey, the Dakar guys do it.
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #51307
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
My XRL with an Acerbis Low Fast Front Fender for years without the mud problem. Does 2 things really well. Keeps the Head cooler(more air) and keeps the bike a lot cleaner. Looks a little funny but hey, the Dakar guys do it.
please show me how funny it looks....
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #51308
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,617
Recent discussions of the NX650 second gear, and the FMX650 fifth gear exchanges reminded me of an interesting video. This video demonstrates how a six-speed, constant mesh, un-synchronized transmission works in a motorcycle.

Before viewing the video, you can visit the following website which clearly explains how the XR650L transmission operates.

http://www.justxr.com/jaw/gearbox.html

Here is the operation of 1st gear.

Here is the operation of 2nd gear.

Here is the operation of 3rd gear.

Here is the operation of 4th gear.

Here is the operation of 5th gear.

The five-speed transmission in the XR650L works exactly as shown in the following video. However, since the video demonstrates a six-speed transmission, merely disregard 4th gear in the video. Gears 1-3 work exactly as shown, and the last two gears demonstrate how 4th gear and 5th gear work for the XR650L transmission.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #51309
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,617
The NX650 was imported into the United States in 1988-1989. Replacing the stock second gear on the main shaft with the NX650 second gear, part #23421-MN9-010 will close the gap between 1st and 2nd gear in the stock transmission. The NX650 second gear is part #5 in the following diagram.

The NX650 second gear replaces the top gear on the main shaft. You retain the stock second gear on the countershaft. The NX650 second gear costs $36, and is readily available for sale in the United States.

The FMX650 was never imported into the United States. Therefore, you can only obtain the FMX650 fifth gear from either Europe or Japan. Replacing the stock fifth gear on the countershaft with the FMX650 fifth gear, part #23491-MW2-780, will increase the gap between 4th and 5th gear in the stock transmission, allowing lower engine rpms in fifth gear. The FMX650 fifth gear is part #16 in the following diagram.

The FMX650 fifth gear replaces the bottom gear on the countershaft. You retain the stock fifth gear on the main shaft.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 11:58 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #51310
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,467
All this talk of changing second gear to close the gap ect., I like the high second. In sand or mud you can hit second and spread out the power pluses from the engine thus keep the wheel from spinning.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #51311
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
All this talk of changing second gear to close the gap ect., I like the high second. In sand or mud you can hit second and spread out the power pluses from the engine thus keep the wheel from spinning.

Good throttle control has the same effect...

Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #51312
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
The tall 2nd is a pain in the rear when working on tight trails (or in a rocky creek bed). 1st is too low, so you jump to 2 and it is too high. So.... you stay in 2nd and abuse the sheeeeit outta your clutch.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #51313
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,300
Quote:
Not only that, but the fact that by "closing" the gap between first and second, since first and third remain fixed, the gap between second and third will by definition be "opened", seems to be left unaddressed in the discussions.

I have never been on a ride and struck with the thought that second is a big jump from first. It seems perfectly natural as is. Perhaps it's the power of suggestion?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #51314
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
All this gearing stuff is making my head spin...

A couple of thoughts...

1. ) Spud, thanks for that post. I enjoyed it. Neat stuff.

2.) I run 15/48 with a built CW motor with the NX650 second and Euro NX 5th. Seems perfect.

3.) As the above post states, yes the second to third gap is bigger than stock, but stock it may have been a touch narrow, and with a bigger more powerful motor it is not noticeable.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #51315
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Not only that, but the fact that by "closing" the gap between first and second, since first and third remain fixed, the gap between second and third will by definition be "opened", seems to be left unaddressed in the discussions.

I have never been on a ride and struck with the thought that second is a big jump from first. It seems perfectly natural as is. Perhaps it's the power of suggestion?

Check RPM drop when shifting. It elimates the gap by centering the ratio between 1st and 3rd gear. The gap between second and thrid is evened out also. The NX Euro box is a true wide ratio box. A US NX box is a nice combination of the two. The XRL box is like a close ratio box with a steep first gear.

The even gaps keeps the bike in the meat of its power better too.