Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #51316
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
All this gearing stuff is making my head spin...

A couple of thoughts...

1. ) Spud, thanks for that post. I enjoyed it. Neat stuff.

2.) I run 15/48 with a built CW motor with the NX650 second and Euro NX 5th. Seems perfect.

3.) As the above post states, yes the second to third gap is bigger than stock, but stock it may have been a touch narrow, and with a bigger more powerful motor it is not noticeable.

Thats a great combo.

15/48 is probably the ideal ratio for that combo unless you really want to go fast or are a long distance ADV rider.

Your 5th gear is about the same as a stock XRL is with 15/45 sprockets, but all the other ratios are lower with nice even gaps.

I'm jealous...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #51317
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Rekluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
The tall 2nd is a pain in the rear when working on tight trails (or in a rocky creek bed). 1st is too low, so you jump to 2 and it is too high. So.... you stay in 2nd and abuse the sheeeeit outta your clutch.
I was ready to tear my KX450F gearbox out and find a good enduro/wide-ratio combination due to the fact that it is a Christini AWD, and gets so much traction that wheel slip is next to zero. First gear being a MX bike was quite tall and I wanted 80 mph on top so gearing down anymore was out of the question. So I got a Rekluse and 90% of the problem is solved.

So Red if you are right about our neighbors here in the TreasureValley making a Rekluse for the XRs I will be among the first in line. I talked to someone at the Endurocross with Rekluse and told them there is a whole bunch of XRs still in use and they may be missing out on a large market.

Bottom line is I believe most of the gearing problems are corrected with auto-clutch,,,my experience anyway.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #51318
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Not only that, but the fact that by "closing" the gap between first and second, since first and third remain fixed, the gap between second and third will by definition be "opened", seems to be left unaddressed in the discussions.

I have never been on a ride and struck with the thought that second is a big jump from first. It seems perfectly natural as is. Perhaps it's the power of suggestion?
In my experience with the type of riding I do I find with 15/45 gearing and trail ridding it always seems 1st is too low and 2nd is too high. But highway (70 mph) and fast gravel is at a relaxed pace. With 15/48 gearing 2nd is a little more useful in the slower stuff, but it's a hair too high. I find I'm doing a lot of shifting between 1st and 2nd looking for the right pace. Fast gravel is still good, but highway speed (70 mph) is starting to wind out a bit. It's not bad for highway speed but I wouldn't want to keep it at an indicated 75 mph for that long. I say indicated because according to my gps, my speedo indication is 5 mph off at that speed. At 70 mph indicated I'm actually doing 65, and 65 wont keep you with the flow of traffic around here. If you don't mind being passed, that's fine, but there's more of a chance of getting cut off if there are a lot of folks trying to get around you. 14/48 gearing is great for trail ridding. It moves 2nd and 3rd low enough that you can mostly ride in those two gears. 1st gets reserved for really slow stuff. But, I seem to row through the first 3 gears within a block when riding in town. this brings 5th down to where an indicated 65 mph is about as fast as I want to go for a sustained highway speed.

It would be awesome to have 1 through 3rd geared like the 14/48 gearing and 4th and 5th like 15/45 gearing :) From the way it sounds, by removing the jump between 1st and 2nd you end up with a little better usage of 2nd in the 15/48 gearing range. Adding the FMX 5th gear moves your top end back up to the 15/45 gearing. That's getting pretty close to covering the full range.

For most of what I have been riding lately, the 15/45 gearing works ok. There's more time's I want the higher speed ability and will compromise on the lower gearing by using the clutch (which is about do for replacement, imagine that). I'd probably be better off running the 15/48 and letting it rev higher at highway speeds, but changing a clutch is cheaper than doing a top end :) If I plan to be doing strictly trails, rocks, single track type stuff I'll swap to the 14/48. It would be a whole lot easier if a 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket would work. I guess I could go with a 13, but then you run the risk of eating up the swing arm.

If I had the money I would have a bigger "dual sport" and a plated 450
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #51319
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
All this gearing stuff is making my head spin...
...I run 15/48 with a built CW motor with the NX650 second and Euro NX 5th. Seems perfect. ....

That's the important thing, how it seems to the operator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
...The even gaps keeps the bike in the meat of its power better too.
My concern is not that, but rather, the speed range for the gear. This bike is so torquey that I don't have to keep the R's up by changing gears often, however, I pick a gear for the terrain at hand to keep the R's down but still enough to have some pull when I want to launch over things. Staying in the power band was so more a concern back when riding those peaky two-strokes where every 2mph change in speed required a gear change.

Quote:
Your 5th gear is about the same as a stock XRL is with 15/45 sprockets, but all the other ratios are lower with nice even gaps. ...
It's about 2% lower than stock in high, 7% lower in the rest (and a tad less in second using the NX)

With any luck, I might go for a ride tomorrow... heat wave here, supposed to be in the fifties!

Too bad you guys don't live in the area so we could go riding and you could show me how well all that works....
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #51320
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
... my KX450F ... a Christini AWD...
Gorgeous bike. Awesome terrain.

I don't know about that AWD but I bet it would be fun to experience.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #51321
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Gorgeous bike. Awesome terrain.

I don't know about that AWD but I bet it would be fun to experience.

Imagine a steep hill,,, your buddy tips over in front of you,,, you drive up to see if he's ok,,, you stop on the hill,,, he has to go back down because he only spins trying to go up,,, you proceed up because you have plenty of traction in fact almost no wheel spin.

I would love it on an XRL. I'm taking the XRL to Moab next time,,,the slick rock is soooo much traction anyway,,, and we needed street legal for some of the loops we ran.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #51322
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
I think your pretty close at $2,500. I think he leaves nothing to chance & takes pride in his work. You sometimes get what you pay for

I paid around a grand for a Wonderful motor from C Dub. Didn't go 749 and through discussions with him, 657cc made the most sense for me. 657cc along with his other mods made it a great motor.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #51323
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
...14/48 gearing is great for trail ridding. ... brings 5th down to where an indicated 65 mph is about as fast as I want to go for a sustained ... It would be awesome to have 1 through 3rd geared like the 14/48 gearing and 4th and 5th like 15/45 gearing ... trails, rocks, single track type stuff I'll swap to the 14/48. ...If I had the money I would have a bigger "dual sport" and a plated 450
A page right out of my book
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #51324
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb Really good price on FMF Powerbomb and Hi-Flow headers for the xrl

I decided to go ahead and give the powerbomb a try on my bike.....I'm going to cut open the top of my airbox and mount up the bomb with my Big Gun silencer and slightly rich jetting, and see what kind of performance gains I get. I've read that you get the best gains from a header if you open up the airbox more for better flow. ThumpnRed was pleased with the gains he got from the bomb....I'll let you guys know how it works for me
BTW here's a link to the FMF powerbombs for our xrl's for 231.19 shipped to your door if anybodies interested http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900012464
They also have the Hi-Flow for 199 to your door if anybody wants to try one.
Wish me luck
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #51325
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,492
Quote:
Not only that, but the fact that by "closing" the gap between first and second, since first and third remain fixed, the gap between second and third will by definition be "opened", seems to be left unaddressed in the discussions.

I have never been on a ride and struck with the thought that second is a big jump from first. It seems perfectly natural as is. Perhaps it's the power of suggestion?
+1. For me I just slow down and use first when the going gets rough instead of blasting through in 2nd or 3rd. But thats just me.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #51326
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
+1. For me I just slow down and use first when the going gets rough instead growing some balls and blasting through in 2nd or 3rd. But thats just me.

Fixed it for ya....

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #51327
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I went in to Lowes this evening to pick up a pack of those washers. I got to the Hardware section and an employee asked if he could help.

Me: Yes, I'm looking for, I believe the name of the manufacturer is Arendelas, #4 washers.

Him:

Me: I have a part number. So I gave him the number.

Him: Hmmm, we don't have that number in our system.

Me:

Him: Lets see what we have.

So we go to the washers section and start looking.

Him: This guy here will know where they are, pointing to another employee walking our way.

About that time I found a pack of Arendelas #6 washers.

Me: Here they are.

Employee #2: what are you looking for.

So I told him.

Employee #2: Arendelas is spanish for washers.

Me: Doh!

Bottom line, they don't have #4 washers of any kind at the local Lowes.

But I may sign up for Spanish lessons there...
I know I've got plenty of those somewhere thanks to Spud and the Lowes recommendation. Be glad to find them and mail you one if you need it.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #51328
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
+1. For me I just slow down and use first when the going gets rough instead of blasting through in 2nd or 3rd. But thats just me.
I don't like the gap. It drives me crazy when we ride in Colorado but I'm going to live with it. My bike has 2000 miles on it and I'm not going to the trouble to split the cases unless something catastrophic happens.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #51329
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Posted by MentalGuru
+1. For me I just slow down and use first when the going gets rough instead growing some balls and blasting through in 2nd or 3rd. But thats just me.
Quote:
Fixed it for ya....

Cold brother...cold
Actually I use the same tactics as Fritz, because I ride so far out in the middle of nowhere, oftentimes with no cell coverage, that if I got hurt bad from hauling too much ass, I could end up in a seriously bad situation
I still like to tear it up abit when riding with friends, or closer to home tho
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #51330
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
I was ready to tear my KX450F gearbox out and find a good enduro/wide-ratio combination due to the fact that it is a Christini AWD, and gets so much traction that wheel slip is next to zero. First gear being a MX bike was quite tall and I wanted 80 mph on top so gearing down anymore was out of the question. So I got a Rekluse and 90% of the problem is solved.

So Red if you are right about our neighbors here in the TreasureValley making a Rekluse for the XRs I will be among the first in line. I talked to someone at the Endurocross with Rekluse and told them there is a whole bunch of XRs still in use and they may be missing out on a large market.

Bottom line is I believe most of the gearing problems are corrected with auto-clutch,,,my experience anyway.
The guy who hinted that one is in the works is well connected to Rekluse. He also rides an XR650L
Darned things are not cheap though!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote