Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #51406
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
Those pictures of you were at "the steps" right? That place sounds very intimidating to me. Not sure I want to attempt that one. This was a little deal from last year on Webster/Red Cone pass. I was a little puckered and never really right after this little episode!

Maximum pucker factor !! Been wondering about Redcone and wouldn't mind trying.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #51407
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
That's beautiful, Fritz! It looks like a scene from Ecuador!

Wow... these three look like the forest roads around here, Jota!

I'm seeing third gear... maybe second in the last one for not seeing what's beyond the top
Beyond the top of the last one is this

We went form the above photo here

If you approach this section from the 2nd photo side there is paint on the rock on the left that says "keep left". If I came over this in 2nd gear from the 2nd photo approach I would have crapped my pants and the bike would still be down in the valley I thing
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #51408
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
If Rekluse comes through with the auto clutch you won't need a smaller bike.
Interesante! Will it telescope out your leg so you can reach to the bottom of the dip, or on the downhill side of the slope, to give you the length you need to keep it vertical? And if you slip, will it lift the bike up off your leg when you're pinned on the side of a hill? How about haul your bike back up the drop-off you slid down?

If so, then sure, no need for a smaller bike!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #51409
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
N37 55.352 W107 45.555 is roughly where the steps start, ...
Thank you for posting those coordinates! Now I see where you all are talking about.
I'd love to ride that someday.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #51410
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Quote:
Interesante! Will it telescope out your leg so you can reach to the bottom of the dip, or on the downhill side of the slope, to give you the length you need to keep it vertical? And if you slip, will it lift the bike up off your leg when you're pinned on the side of a hill? How about haul your bike back up the drop-off you slid down?

If so, then sure, no need for a smaller bike!
You guessed it BRILLIANT
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #51411
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
Those pictures of you were at "the steps" right? That place sounds very intimidating to me. Not sure I want to attempt that one. This was a little deal from last year on Webster/Red Cone pass. I was a little puckered and never really right after this little episode!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
Out of curiosity, what did you shoot the video with?
I was wondering the same thing? is the camera trying to auto focus? or on shrooms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'll see what I can do, but I'm snowed/iced in right now, prolly won't be able to take the bike out for a ride for another couple of weeks....I might get antsy and just want to do it all at once
Hey, I understand...I was just looking for solid numbers on just the pipe because I keep thinking I would like to get one and am just trying to be smarter about upgrades.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #51412
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
... If I came over this in 2nd gear from the 2nd photo approach I would have crapped my pants and the bike would still be down in the valley I thing
It's so beautiful there, Sr. Jota.
I don't doubt you'd be freaking. I have ridden with lots of guys who are like how can you go so fast?
But then again, there's a couple guys I go riding with who I can't stay with when they decide to run.
I like to move right along and think fast, but at my age I'm mostly concerned with trying not to get hurt in the process. In the same way I think some of those guys are taking undue risks, I expect many of the guys I've blasted by have thought the same about me. It's all relative, I guess... The important thing for me is to have fun while riding within our capability and slowly trying to expand our capability.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #51413
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Quote:
It's so beautiful there, Sr. Jota.
I don't doubt you'd be freaking. I have ridden with lots of guys who are like how can you go so fast?
But then again, there's a couple guys I go riding with who I can't stay with when they decide to run.
I like to move right along and think fast, but at my age I'm mostly concerned with trying not to get hurt in the process. In the same way I think some of those guys are taking undue risks, I expect many of the guys I've blasted by have thought the same about me. It's all relative, I guess... The important thing for me is to have fun while riding within our capability and slowly trying to expand our capability.
Anyone faster than you is an idiot. Anyone slower than you as an a-hole
I hear what you are saying, like they say on the street about the twisties "ride your own ride".
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #51414
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I am very proud of you flyingwombat. The RT Suspension Bible is the best $ you can spend on your bike Additionally, if you have more than one bike the price per bike goes down as this one hop-up fits them all. I've said several times before, but it's a must own. It is a beautiful quality book to boot. Ask flyingwombat.
I just bought a copy. I cracked it open and I was reminded of being in college again. Darn there is a bunch of information in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Hey guys maybe someone can help me out? I am trying to send Ron of rswracing a pm. I have tried to send him a email of his site. I have not received a response. Hoping I can contact him with a PM here. Anyone know the name that he uses here?
Ben if you are looking for RSW triples to mate up to CRFX forks, I know where there is a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Don't want to play along eh bunkie??

The reason I ask is because back when I did the CRF USD forks on my bike I referred to my daughters CRF450r manual for the oil spec and went with what it said. Some months ago I got another set of forks (can't have enough spares ya know) and did a full rebuild, bushings and seals. This time I compared service manuals between the CRF-R and my son's CRF-X and the X spec is about 100cc less oil.

So what says the peanut gallery??
I am so looking forward to trying my X forks on the L!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #51415
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Here's 2nd gear:

now to procure 5th gear...

and a new carb accessory:

My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #51416
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
[QUOTE=Lonestar2112;20442469]I just bought a copy. I cracked it open and I was reminded of being in college again. Darn there is a bunch of information in there.

Ben if you are looking for RSW triples to mate up to CRFX forks, I know where there is a spare. :wink Nope. I need a scott's damper pin tower. I broke the one I had while i was trying to install it. Am pretty happy with my suspension set up now.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #51417
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
I would love to ride Black Bear and the other pass around Silverton, Teluride, and Ouray. They are on my bucket list.
We are riding out of Silverton the first week of August and plan to do BB, Imogene and all the others we can fit in. Come join us. I don't mess with my jets in Colorado. Sure a little less power but still plenty to get the job done. It's most noticeable on the highway in higher gears getting from place to place. Lower gear climbing and grinding not so much. This is Mosquito pass (13,185 ft.). Stock gearing, loaded bike from the TAT, went right up. Don't over think things unless you're racing. LET'S RIDE!

Another from the top. Got kinda freaky while we were up there.

John
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #51418
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
We are riding out of Silverton the first week of August and plan to do BB, Imogene and all the others we can fit in. Come join us. I don't mess with my jets in Colorado. Sure a little less power but still plenty to get the job done. It's most noticeable on the highway in higher gears getting from place to place. Lower gear climbing and grinding not so much. This is Mosquito pass (13,185 ft.). Stock gearing, loaded bike from the TAT, went right up. Don't over think things unless you're racing. LET'S RIDE!

John
Thanks for the invite, I'll give it some consideration. My XRL came form Colorado so I figured it would be a little lean at my normal altitude (about 3500 feet). But it had a 58 pilot and a 155 main, Dave's mods, Q4, and opened air box. It seems about right for my local ridding and a little rich at altitude. I was having some issue starting at elevation, or I thought, so I dropped to a 55 pilot. I got quite a bit of popping on decel and have since went back to the 58 pilot. My starting issue was more related to the CDI. About the only nice thing about the CV carb is that it's not as picky with altitude as a regular carb. Which is the way they are supposed to be :)

(edited due to confusing my main and pilot jets)

JWhitmore44 screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 08:44 AM
JWhitmore44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #51419
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Question Cutting open top of airbox and adding header, will I need to re-shim needle?

I'm going to cut open the top of my xrl airbox for better breathing with the powerbomb header. My jetting is on the rich side, especially the pilot jet/part throttle where I do alot of my riding. I have the stock carb with Dave's mods and the stock needle shimmed. Is the cut open airbox top going to require me re-shimming the needle?
I'm at about 5000ft up in elevation, and ride up to 8000ft sometimes, and am running a 58 pilot (a little big for my elevation) and 155 main jet (keihins).

The bike runs awesome, very sharp throttle response and pulls strong and clean everywhere, and starts with almost no choke needed (because of the rich pilot) and idles great.
The plug reads a little rich tho, so I think the header and cut airbox should be perfect, but not sure if I'll have to re-shim the needle or not.
I was thinking not, but if anybody has any experience with cutting open their airbox and rejetting for it, I'd love to hear your feedback
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #51420
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Anyone faster than you is an idiot. Anyone slower than you as an a-hole
I hear what you are saying, like they say on the street about the twisties "ride your own ride".
My friend used to say it this way: anyone faster than you is a maniac, anyone slower, an idiot.
Speaking of riding your own ride... I broke my shift lever in proving I could get past Marty. The feeling of victory was very short-lived. But the costly lesson lives on!