User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #51976
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,709
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=17918

Little something about an XR400.... Follow that rabbit hole if you dare!!!

J
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #51977
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=17918

Little something about an XR400.... Follow that rabbit hole if you dare!!!

J
Yeah!!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #51978
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Don't forget the battery tender....very easy to install the pigtails at the same time as the battery. Keep it plugged in when not riding and you'll prolly sell the bike before you need another battery
Plus the pigtails can also run other accessories....like a tiny 12 volt tire pump like the one that came in my slime kit I have tenders and pigtails on all my bikes, and carry the slime kit in my backpack with tire plugs and slime for both tube and tubeless tire repairs
You can also plug cigarette style outlets into them for charging/running devices like gps, phones etc. The Schumacher style tenders come with a nice thick gauge wire too
Already got the pig tail on it. I just haven't bothered using it because it never sits for more than a week..guess I should rethink that. Its living situation has changed and is now outdoors
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #51979
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
The paper work you speak of is on the back of the title. It has to be turned into the DMV. If there is anything wrong with the title, erasure marks, lines scratched over with ink, missing signatures, etc. it is considered invalid, then you are really F'd.
With a Certificate of origin(COO), I assume there is no signing off by the PO but you have to turn that paper in as well. AFAIK they all say "off road only".
I've heard of a couple folks getting by the regs but you have to turn in your old title to the DMV rep. Occasionally a rep will not catch the "off road only" on a COO but not often.
There is a local inmate who just bought a used 2 stroke figuring on titling it. I'll ask him if he has done it yet and get back to you.
In California you get one special build per lifetime. I asked the lady at DMV how all these custom bikes get plates. So...you have your mom use hers, auntie use hers, etc.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #51980
nic579
x

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
In California you get one special build per lifetime. I asked the lady at DMV how all these custom bikes get plates. So...you have your mom use hers, auntie use hers, etc.
I had found the CA DMV in the North Bay Area to be very helpful. Titled a few abandoned salvages for me with no major trouble, they actually gave me all the correct steps to take the first time. NY expects you to guess your way through everything and if you ask they just like to say "Cant be done!" even if it can. My preference being for Navato DMV.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #51981
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,214
That would be Novato DMV.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #51982
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Sub Zero

Love the Yamaha 2 strokes. The WR looks just like my old YZ250 but with lights.

and a wide ratio box, correct?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #51983
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
2 up

anyone ever try riding double on their big red Honda?? my wife has ridden with me for over 20 years and now that i have an actual "dual sport" bike i am wondering if anyone else has tried this..
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #51984
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
Hey everyone so Im trying to get a cush drive for my xr and was wondering if anyone has done this? does anyone know if a dr60 wheel will match up or would it be to wide?
Mike Wattner has one on his bike. Well, of course he does, he's got the most tricked-out L the world has ever seen. I think he mentioned it in his build thread. Speaking of which, I got the new "Dirt Bike" in the mail the other day and they are now covering adventure riding. I still say that Mike's bike and CW's fabricating/wizard machining talents need to be published! Also, it would be a good plug for the L.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #51985
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Hey everyone so Im trying to get a cush drive for my xr and was wondering if anyone has done this? does anyone know if a dr60 wheel will match up or would it be to wide?
I believe Rad Engineering manufactures the only XR650L hub with a cush drive.

http://www.radmfg.com/Cush-Series-RE...radh-eq-1r.htm

The following thread contains a few photographs of the Rad cush hub installed on an XR650L.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/893...b-ride-report/

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 11:56 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #51986
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here's a photograph of a Rad cush hub from another thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386967

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 11:56 AM
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #51987
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Rad Cush hub is very nice, but it's also expensive. A less expensive way to preserve your bike's countershaft splines is substituting a wider, XR650R C/S sprocket for your XR650L sprocket. You might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/867...650r-sprocket/

Spud
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #51988
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Riding on pavement without a rear cush hub can certainly punish the countershaft splines. Here's a photograph I found of a KTM XC4 countershaft with 12,000 miles of wear.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752081

Here's a photograph of the countershaft on my XR650L after 37,000 miles of riding. At the time of this photograph I had been employing a wider, XR650R C/S sprocket for 27,000 miles.

Spud
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #51989
mhking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
awsome thanks for the info.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #51990
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,401
I finally got my lazy, cold arse out in the garage and got started on the winter project(s).
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote