Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #52381
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Very nice bike Pal. I'm amazed that my '93 only had 24k on it when I bought it for $1,500. I've put 2k on it since July.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #52382
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Pal View Post

Helmet lock removed, tab on frame used for female 12v socket wired direct to battery. Battery tender has male lead that plugs into socket. Doesn't get any easier. Phone charger on mulit day rides.

Chane's brain was used in this build. My friend Chane has a big brain.
I'm going to steal this idea - brilliant. I never use the helmet lock anyway given that I don't like the idea of coming out to a wet helmet, so it just sits there. This would be a very functional use of that space!
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #52383
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Oil Question

I've been wondering about this for a while. I'm currently in Bolivia and finding gas and oil down here is a major headache. Yesterday I was able to find some Bell-Ray 10W-40 Semi-Synthetic at a Honda shop. I'm currently running FULL Synthetic. I plan on doing my next oil change here in a couple of days and I wasn't planning on removing the filter.

Is it okay to use Semi-Synthetic without replacing the filter (which has been running with Full Synthetic)? Also, is it okay to top off the Semi Synthetic with Full Synthetic, or should I go buy another liter of this stuff to carry around for when my oil starts getting low?

I guess what it boils down to is this: is it okay to mix Semi and Full synthetic oils?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #52384
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Don't tell me you stopped there, you're just getting to the fun stuff!

Nope.it continues...and gets alot worse/better depending on what you think is better it`s a real work out..i just stopped there to take a break,have a beer.....take some pictures

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #52385
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
That looks like a great spot to stop.

I would want a rest break before going any further... I wouldn't want to be tired going into that section.

It looks like I would be stopping a short ways down the trail again. That looks like a good workout.

I would want to be on a trials bike thou...

Yup.resting spot for sure..a trials bike would definately be a better bike here though......it goes on ..it right angles just ahead and gets alot worse..dragging the bike over logs and under falling trees......but there is a silver lining though........a swimming hole to cool off in.makes it all worth while

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 07:38 AM
Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #52386
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Spud

OH,OHtime to clean out the fridge again

Man,i can`t wait till spring,,,going stir crazy..

B
Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #52387
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Those are nice foot pegs!

What caliber are they?

Spud
You tryin to be a shit disturber Spud..you lookin for a good bannin...again

B
Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #52388
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I've been wondering about this for a while. I'm currently in Bolivia and finding gas and oil down here is a major headache. Yesterday I was able to find some Bell-Ray 10W-40 Semi-Synthetic at a Honda shop. I'm currently running FULL Synthetic. I plan on doing my next oil change here in a couple of days and I wasn't planning on removing the filter.

Is it okay to use Semi-Synthetic without replacing the filter (which has been running with Full Synthetic)? Also, is it okay to top off the Semi Synthetic with Full Synthetic, or should I go buy another liter of this stuff to carry around for when my oil starts getting low?

I guess what it boils down to is this: is it okay to mix Semi and Full synthetic oils?

Perfectly fine to mix oils.you just lose the benifits of syn oil when mixing with semi/dino oil........the oil filter makes no diff either..the new oil will wash the syn oil out of the oil filter and cause no harm.....but is the filter getting dirty is the question???

B
Old 01-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #52389
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Anyone have a right peg mount they can do without for a while..Radan needs a peg and mount to design the new pegs properly.....i have an OE peg i can send him...

I`m trying to help him out getting this designed properly to fit our bikes,,,,,,almost there,,not quite

B

Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #52390
jackflash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by award900 View Post
Sorry. Been home, sick with the flu, most of the week and everytime I log on here its basement garbage. ;)

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
No worries. Get well soon.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #52391
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
I'm going to steal this idea - brilliant. I never use the helmet lock anyway given that I don't like the idea of coming out to a wet helmet, so it just sits there. This would be a very functional use of that space!

I use the helmet lock quite a bit when I don't want to take my helmet into a shop or a restaurant. I added a cig outlet in about the same place. I use a small ATV tank style saddlebags on the rear of the seat. I can put my phone in there and have it plugged in for charging. I can also use the same outlet for a small compressor. I'll have to get a picture and post it.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #52392
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
... I guess what it boils down to is this: is it okay to mix Semi and Full synthetic oils?
They say it is. I wouldn't under available circumstances, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. It'll be okay. Great reports, ride on!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #52393
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Synthetic is just further refined dino oil.They are all mixable.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #52394
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Synthetic is just further refined dino oil.They are all mixable.
My understanding is that this is not the case, but that synthetic oil is manufactured from synthetic compounds, whereas "dino oil" is refined from petroleum products and mixed with additives to get various weights and viscosity properties. (Not to say they can't be mixed!)

The theory being that since synthetic oil is manufactured, its particles can all be made to be very similar to each other, reducing the tendency for heavier particles to settle out. This does not, however, affect how quickly the oil collects particulate matter from the engine and other dirt. This is why many high mileage oils also include a time caveat to the changing interval.

That said, if you're going to use a semi-synthetic oil anyway, it is just some synthetic particles mixed with some petroleum based particles. Mixing some full synthetic in will just change the ratio. As long as both are the same weight and of a wet-clutch compatibility, I see no reason there would be any harm done.

I concur that the reason to change the filter has to do with whether it is dirty, not what type of oil you're putting through it.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #52395
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
With the jets in the bike it is properly jetted for a FMF powerbomb header and a FMF Q-4 exhaust. For inspection (purely visuaul, no sniffer) I had to put in the OEM header and exhaust.

So if I have to ride my bike for about 80 miles...

Should I worry about swapping out jets or just roll rich to get the 50KM I have to ride to on base plus the miles I have to ride for the MSF ERC? I think I'm good and I'm not too worried about it but I did figure out that finding an XR600 exhaust is not easy and that there are lots of bikes over here that are not even CLOSE to being legal. I can't wait to get mine through the grinder....

BTW, what's the best oil to use at sea level?

-Barron
Since I didn't see anyone answer your question, I'll offer up my opinion. I would say run it. It will be rich, but I don't think overly so, to the point it does run right. It's not optimum, but since it's only for a short distance, it won't make that big of a difference. And, if you want to after you change it back you could swap out spark plugs for a clean fresh one; just in case it loaded up.