ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #52666
JWhitmore44
pistolero
 
JWhitmore44's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: NW Kansas
Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts_4x View Post
I'm more afraid of putting a hole in the case than I am about that cooler. There's not a spot on that thing that is less than 1/4 inch thick.

-scott
+1, can't imagine hurting that cooler any. It may catch a rock kicked up every now and then. Most the time when you land on the skid plate is under the bike frame not in front of it.
__________________
84 Honda Goldwing (GL1200)
03 XR650L
JWhitmore44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #52667
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Helipilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 190
Carb question

OK...2004 XR650L...Carburetor has had the Dave's mod and was running very well...Son jumps on it, cranks it up and immediately begins to rev the engine like it was his CBR 600. Have told him over and over to not rev the 650 since it is a thumper. I had just finished a 150 mile DS ride and the bike was purring. It now does not want to run more than 5 seconds after being started without popping like it is starving for gas. I have removed the carb, cleaned it, blown it out and readjusted it (2 1/4 turns) three times. It starts on the first push of the button and runs smoothly for about 5 - 10 seconds and then starts the popping again. New plug, New CDI, Tank removed and emptied, Tank Filter removed (clean), Fuel Valve removed, disassembled and cleaned, UNI air filter removed, cleaned and reinstalled, Valves checked, Timing checked, my next stop is the local Honda shop and maybe a new carb. At $200 +++ that is not my ideal option.

Question for the Collective: After removing the AIR CUT VALVE SET and cleaning it, I notice a white soft "Bubble" at the bottom of the hole where the air cut valve inserts into the carb body. It appears to be a plastic ball and appears to be soft. Is this normal for this passage or is it an anomaly ? Didn't want to use the pick set to try to remove it since it appears from the fiche drawings it not a replaceable part. Your thoughts please.
__________________
2004 XR650L Heavily Farkled. 2010 KTM 990A Starting the Farkles.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #52668
Rob Rideout
Adventurer
 
Rob Rideout's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts_4x View Post
My cooler project is taking a lot longer than expected but here it is fresh back from the annodizer. Now I need to get to the hydraulic shop and see if they can source fittings for some custom hoses.

Looks really nice. Can you somehow show the path or how the internal ports pass thru the cooler?
__________________
05 XR650L
09 R1200GSA
Rob Rideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #52669
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Yup Red is definately a good fella........lot of good people o this forum and TT too....always someone to give a helping hand when needed...guess it`s the bikes we ride B
That's it - the bikes we ride!!

One big someone is you! Can't forget how you helped me out big time by taking the guesswork out of cutting my CDI box open.

Still rockin'!
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #52670
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
That's it - the bikes we ride!!

One big someone is you! Can't forget how you helped me out big time by taking the guesswork out of cutting my CDI box open.

Still rockin'!
I used to ride a Suzuki and was a real prick. It must be the Honda
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #52671
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK
 
3girlsdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Oddometer: 335


__________________
2008 Honda CRF450X - plated
1995 Suzuki DR350SE - the workhorse
2007 KTM 450 XCW - a little sip of the kool-aid (gone)
2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #52672
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer
 
prince_ruben's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post


Cb 125 with some nice trim on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
__________________
No worries in death, no worries in life.
prince_ruben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #52673
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I used to ride a Suzuki and was a real prick. It must be the Honda


Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #52674
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer
 
Walterxr650l's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Donald, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
OK...2004 XR650L...Carburetor has had the Dave's mod and was running very well...Son jumps on it, cranks it up and immediately begins to rev the engine like it was his CBR 600. Have told him over and over to not rev the 650 since it is a thumper. I had just finished a 150 mile DS ride and the bike was purring. It now does not want to run more than 5 seconds after being started without popping like it is starving for gas. I have removed the carb, cleaned it, blown it out and readjusted it (2 1/4 turns) three times. It starts on the first push of the button and runs smoothly for about 5 - 10 seconds and then starts the popping again. New plug, New CDI, Tank removed and emptied, Tank Filter removed (clean), Fuel Valve removed, disassembled and cleaned, UNI air filter removed, cleaned and reinstalled, Valves checked, Timing checked, my next stop is the local Honda shop and maybe a new carb. At $200 +++ that is not my ideal option.

Question for the Collective: After removing the AIR CUT VALVE SET and cleaning it, I notice a white soft "Bubble" at the bottom of the hole where the air cut valve inserts into the carb body. It appears to be a plastic ball and appears to be soft. Is this normal for this passage or is it an anomaly ? Didn't want to use the pick set to try to remove it since it appears from the fiche drawings it not a replaceable part. Your thoughts please.

I'm not an expert, but from what I understand of how a carb works, I don't see how revving out the engine could damage the carb. I'm wondering if he over revved the engine and damaged the valves.

Walter
__________________
"How much a dunce
That has been set to roam
Excels a dunce
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #52675
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,601
Indeed, you do meet the nicest people on a Honda.



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #52676
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!
 
Sub Zero's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Oddometer: 769










__________________
1994 Yamaha WR250-Z | 1995 Kawasaki KX500 | 1998 Kawasaki KLX300 | 2004 Honda CRF450R (Motard) | 2009 Kawasaki KX450F | 2001 Honda XR650R | 1992 Yamaha WR200R

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #52677
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,601
Then again, you would also meet some nice people on an Indian.



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #52678
scotts_4x
lookin for a ride
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Paso Robles
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rideout View Post
Looks really nice. Can you somehow show the path or how the internal ports pass thru the cooler?
Basically there are two .4375 (7/16") holes going down from the top, one on each end and they are connected by 5 (or 6) .25 (1/4") holes drilled long ways.

-scott
scotts_4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #52679
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy
 
flyingwombat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Nederland, CO
Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
would it be wiser to mount that cooler elsewhere, I would be afraid to come down on a log or boulder and beat the hell out of it, in the case above, save some weight and remove the skid plate, just sayin. maybe under the headlight.
That's the Vanpelt cooler and it's a really tough SOB. No worries at all about damaging it, I've hit it pretty hard on rocks and it's fine. My skid plate isn't. I think having it mounted there helps dissipate heat faster because the skid plate acts as a heat sink (the skid plate gets nice and hot).

The main downside to these coolers is longer engine warm-up time... but it's not significant. They are excellent oil coolers.
__________________
Bad Medicine: Baja October 2011 - White Rim Sandwich (with Kokopelli bread) - Please help support COHVCO!
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #52680
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
That's the Vanpelt cooler and it's a really tough SOB. No worries at all about damaging it, I've hit it pretty hard on rocks and it's fine. My skid plate isn't. I think having it mounted there helps dissipate heat faster because the skid plate acts as a heat sink (the skid plate gets nice and hot).

The main downside to these coolers is longer engine warm-up time... but it's not significant. They are excellent oil coolers.
Yeah man, the Vanpelt cooler is awesome. It dropped my temps a lot and I have never had any issue with hitting stuff with it. I've hit logs and dirt mounds with it when I didn't get my front wheel up high enough and it's just fine. When I ride in the rain it really keeps temps down. The really cool thing about this cooler is that if I do manage to punch a hole in it and the bike(and me) survives I can route the oil line around it with the quick disconnects. Hell, it's even got a drain on it so I can drain it when I change the oil.

-Barron
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014