Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #53941
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
And the Great Basin holds even more!

What's the best place to buy this stuff on sale?
http://www.atomic-moto.com/this_months_bombs.html

They are having a sale on Giant Loop stuff right now.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #53942
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You need a thin-wall spark plug socket, such as the one Honda "used" to supply in the tool kit. You can get the "official" spark plug socket from Honda. It's part #2 in the following diagram.

The spark plug socket is Honda part #89216-MJ1-000, and it sells for $14.45. I'm sure you can get an aftermarket socket which will also work.

Spud
I have a pretty good selection of tools, but the spark plug socket that comes in the honda tool kit is the easiest one to use for getting the spark plug out easily imo. If I didn't have one, I'd pick it up
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #53943
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
... Of the 22 pounds I shed from my XR650L, 9 pounds came from my Shorai battery relocation. ...

That had to help a lot with how light the bike feels. You said somewhere that if you had it to do over again, you'd use an eight cell somethingorother rather than the Shorai - I don't recall the motivation - but if that were done, how would that affect the weight savings?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #53944
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
That makes two of us, so I guess you're not THE exception.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #53945
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
The dash is looking good. Keep it up! Maybe you'll make one to fit the Voyager. Hopefully, Trailtech comes out with a fully map, color version one of these days. The market is ready!

Spud, D-Ray is legit! I just watched the oil changing one. SWEET!
+1
Yes Red, the dash is looking superb.
And I forgot to mention to Spud thanks for putting those up. I watched the forks pair and they are well made, informative, and no b.s. entertaining. Can't believe it's been like forty years since the last time I had to figure out how to replace fork seals.. as a kid, no manual, no internet, modest tool set, no air...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #53946
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,625
Quote:

That had to help a lot with how light the bike feels. You said somewhere that if you had it to do over again, you'd use an eight cell somethingorother rather than the Shorai - I don't recall the motivation - but if that were done, how would that affect the weight savings?
The weight would be about the same for both batteries, OnO. I now prefer the Antigravity 8-Cell battery, because it has stronger terminals, and appear to be better constructed. Also, the Antigravity batteries seem to crank stronger, and have survived some abusive testing which has destroyed the Shorai batteries.

However, I can't complain about my Shorai battery; it has never failed me during 30,000 miles of riding.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #53947
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Definitely add a USB port, and anything else you can think of! I'm designing a mount for a Trail Tech Vapor I plan to install on my "new to me," CRF250X. Do you plan to secure the mount to the handlebars bolts?

Spud
My top triple is an aftermarket unit with removable bar clamps. The dash plate is sandwiched between the triple and the bar clamps. I had an earlier version that did bolt into the bar clamp of the OEM triple. Here's what I have on it now

ThumpnRed screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 09:21 PM
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #53948
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
+1
Yes Red, the dash is looking superb.
And I forgot to mention to Spud thanks for putting those up. I watched the forks pair and they are well made, informative, and no b.s. entertaining. Can't believe it's been like forty years since the last time I had to figure out how to replace fork seals.. as a kid, no manual, no internet, modest tool set, no air...
You're welcome. The XR650L forks are significantly different from the XL600R forks. Nevertheless, D-Ray gives a lot of good tips, and he is definitely entertaining.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #53949
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
My top triple is an aftermarket unit with removable bar clamps. The dash plate is sandwiched between the triple and the bar clamps. I had an earlier version that did bolt into the bar clamp of the OEM bar clamps. Here's what I have on it now
Thanks for posting the photo, Red. That's a beautiful dashboard, befitting the rest of your motorcycle. I like where you placed the switch for you grip heaters.

Spud
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #53950
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
You need a thin-wall spark plug socket, .... I'm sure you can get an aftermarket socket which will also work. ...
I just pulled a deep socket from my set - forget what mm size it was. (maybe 19?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
You need either the spark plug wrench that came in the stock tool kit, or something like this special socket from Motion Pro. ... The spark plug is 18mm, but ... you can't get a standard 18mm spark plug socket down to it. You need a thin wall design.... There may be other options but I don't know what they are....
Okay, 18mm it is. My "standard" deep socket (not "spark plug" socket) may be tight in there but it works!

ONandOFF screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 09:29 PM
Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #53951
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Thanks for posting the photo, Red. That's a beautiful dashboard, befitting the rest of your motorcycle. I like where you placed the switch for you grip heaters.

Spud
I have to agree with Mr. Spud. Red, you do excellent work. Good on you for trying to do better--I would never stray from the beautiful dash that you have now.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #53952
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
You need either the spark plug wrench that came in the stock tool kit, or something like this special socket from Motion Pro.

The spark plug is 18mm, but because of how deep it is in the head, and some other obstructions on the head you can't get a standard 18mm spark plug socket down to it. You need a thin wall design. The tool kit spark plug socket can be ordered from your favorite Honda dealer, or you can buy the one pictured and linked above. My parts book lists part # 89216-MJ1-000 for the Honda tool. There may be other options but I don't know what they are. I would also note that about 2007 or 2008 Honda quit including the tool kit on the bike when new. You now have to buy it separately if you want it.

Walter
Rocky Mountain ATV/MC sells the Motion Pro, 18mm sparkplug socket for $20.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rk+plug+socket

Personally, I would rather have the OEM, Honda sparkplug socket.

Spud
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #53953
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
The weight would be about the same for both batteries, OnO. I now prefer the Antigravity 8-Cell battery, because it has stronger terminals, and appear to be better constructed. Also, the Antigravity batteries seem to crank stronger, and have survived some abusive testing which has destroyed the Shorai batteries.

However, I can't complain about my Shorai battery; it has never failed me during 30,000 miles of riding.

Spud
Thank you, Spud. I know the Shorai is costly, now I wonder how the Antigravity compares. I'm glad my battery is still fine, but its time will come - probably sooner rather than later. It's good to know what direction to look in when I approach that bridge to cross.

What's impressive to me about those 30,000 miles is the short time you put them in. Seems like it was just last year you did that battery relocation. But if you think about it, battery life isn't a function of miles ridden, it's mostly a function of cycling. There is some aging too, temperature, mechanical stress, but those things in check, there's basically so many times it can be drawn down and charged back. The guy who goes two miles to work each day will use up his battery at a similar rate to the guy who does a continuous 300 mile voyage each day, and get 7500% more mileage out of his battery. That's an extreme example, but it illustrates the concept.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #53954
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
A friend has a Sudco FCR41 flatslide pumper carb for sale.....I was thinking of picking it up, but I wanted to know from you guys what performance gains I would get on an internally stock motor. ...
I don't have one of these but if I had cash sitting around that I couldn't figure out what to do with...
In the discussions I've had with experienced people, the pumper carb. increases the rate of increase of power. It's possible it could increase the power at the peak somewhat as well, due to the vacuum operated slide never opening fully.
Hey, if you can afford it, go for it, then let me know if it was worth it. Yes you'll need the adapter stuff and maybe the cables, plus you do realize it may take some messing with it including jet experimenting in order to dial it in...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #53955
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Personally, I would rather have the OEM, Honda sparkplug socket.

Spud
I would too. And since my bike is a 2006 and they still put tool kits in that year, that is what I have and use. I just posted the motion pro socket to show another option.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote