Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #54961
mhking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Easy Peasy. Replace the flasher assembly with an electronic one and your lights will work just fine.
i did change the flasher assembly and that worked until i put the 4th led light now they all flash at the same time. any other ideas?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #54962
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
trying not to spend money or very little. Why's I'm axin for a beat up harness....
I have one that's kinda beat up, spliced, hacked, etc. It's what makes the lights work on my bike
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #54963
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
i did change the flasher assembly and that worked until i put the 4th led light now they all flash at the same time. any other ideas?
Did you remove the turn signal indicator bulb?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #54964
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmagnum View Post
I'm on of those fortunate/unfortunate XR650L owners in the UK.

We just can't get parts...

I bought a tatty one a few days ago and when stripping the carb apart I found I need a few things.

I need a spring for the Air Cut off and I can't find ANYWHERE globally that sells it. Obsolete ?????????? Well, one firm sells the assembly for $150 in Europe :'(

It's number 9 on here...

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m3117#sch20366

I also need the choke cable assembly and can't find that either.

Can anyone help me out here ?? I'm banging my head against the wall....
PM me if you still need the spring. I should have one in a spare carb that I have.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #54965
mhking
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Did you remove the turn signal indicator bulb?

Spud
yep just like you told me to? still not sure why that would help but i know you wouldnt steer me wrong.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #54966
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I saw him throw it out the window when we were very close, I didn't have time to get out of the way, hit the brakes or anything. I did think about going after him, but if somebody is willing to try and hurt somebody like that there's no telling what he might do if I tried getting his plate, a lot of guys carry guns in that area. Besides, I was in no mood to talk after that so I thought it just better to go home to my family in one piece. I don't want to be one of those guys that has done multiple deployments into war zones just to come home and get shot by some idiot- especially when I had a chance to walk away

-Barron
Damn man! When and where did that shit happen??
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #54967
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
yep just like you told me to? still not sure why that would help but i know you wouldnt steer me wrong.
No, I wouldn't steer you wrong. The turn signal indicator bulb uses the signal wire on the opposite side as a ground wire. That's why it will mess up LED turn signal operation.

Did you install an electronic flasher, or an LED flasher? These two flashers are different. Some electronic flashers will work for LED turn signals on some bikes, and others will not. The only way to make sure you signal flasher relay will work is to install an LED flasher relay, such as the one shown below.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+flasher+relay

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #54968
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I sent my beat up harnesses to Brian for his CDI repair program.
Yup........making a CDI test station.........still gathering parts and making up a design so i can test CDIs on the station .......under operating actual firing conditions with adjust rpm...taking longer than i figured though

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #54969
mhking
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
No, I wouldn't steer you wrong. The turn signal indicator bulb uses the signal wire on the opposite side as a ground wire. That's why it will mess up LED turn signal operation.

Did you install an electronic flasher, or an LED flasher? These two flashers are different. Some electronic flashers will work for LED turn signals on some bikes, and others will not. The only way to make sure you signal relay flasher will work is to install an LED flasher, such as the one below.

Spud
ok this is the one that i used http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/788/843/

idk if its the right kind or not???
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #54970
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Postage or crack scale , whichever you might have.The measurements other than length and diameter to fit in place would be irrelevent. You could still have differing hardnesses of wire and number of turns , there by changing tension.

But that's not entirely correct,sir. If you backtrack to my first post on the topic it will detail the three measurements needed. And with the picture what I was getting at is then he can get one with approximately the same number of turns and distribution - I'm thinking Ted will understand me.
The weight of the spring is essentially irrelevant, no need to put it on a scale. The hardness of the wire is unlikely to be much different if you think about it, you'll agree, but having the spring constant would be a good check - that's what I was saying with that after Jeremy mentioned it. It's how far the spring compresses with a particular force. Since force is the product of mass and gravity, a simple way to check it is to stack washers on the vertical spring on a flat surface until the spring is about half-compressed then measure the deflection and check the weight of the washers. Since F=kx then k=F/x, or force per distance compressed. Rather than weigh washers, calibrated weights could also be used.

Looks like it may be solved; I see Ben has offered to send Ted a spring. Unless shipping costs are excessive, he won't have to resort to this complex process!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:06 PM
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #54971
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
Check it out, man... about two posts after that one...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #54972
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
It's been a while now, but it happened right down Indian River road after it crosses over Lynnhaven but before Stumpy Lake.

-Barron
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #54973
mhking
Adventurer

spud

ok so spud ur a genius and im an idot. so i forgot that when i put that flasher unit in i put the bulb back in, just took it out and lights work fine . i feel like such a re re right now. thanks a buch.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #54974
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ok so spud ur a genius and im an idot. so i forgot that when i put that flasher unit in i put the bulb back in, just took it out and lights work fine . i feel like such a re re right now. thanks a buch.
You're welcome. I'm glad you got it to work.

Some of the electronic flashers will work, and some won't. I'm glad you got one that works for you. However, if one wants to be certain the flasher relay will work with LED turn signals, I recommend one of the following, LED flasher relays.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/787/842/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/193/841/

The Tusk LED Flasher Relay from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC is the same device, only it costs a little more.

Spud
Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #54975
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you want your turn signal indicator to work, you need to solder a couple of diodes into the wires leading to the indicator bulb, and wire the indicator bulb directly to ground. You can also purchase one of the Kuryakyn diode kits.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/719/diode-kit

Here's the way you wire the diodes into the circuit.

The Kuryakyn installation instructions are available at the following link.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/in...-21MC-0911.pdf

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:45 PM