ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #586
slydrite
Yea buddy!
 
slydrite's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SF Yay Area
Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shair_Khan
Hello everyone,

Is there a fuel filter on XR650L?

I have a Clarke tank installed and was wondering if the fuel filter somehow mistakenly was not put back while the person was installing the tank!

Today I ran out of gas and that is when I noticed that the little gas left in the tank had some black stuff (probably dirt) floating in the bottom. I looked for the fuel filter and did not find one!

Now about running out of the gas story :) .... within 10 miles of putting it on reserve... it stopped. There was still some gas on the other side of the tank... I laid it on the road so the gas could transefer to the left side and it started right back... I was hopping to get more milage in reserve. From full to reserve it ran 180 miles. (4.7 gal clarke tank)

looking forward to your comments about the fuel filter.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
yes you need a fuel filter

my IMS 4.0 gal get only about 15 miles on reserve, but I can lay the bike on it's left side, like you mentioned, and extend that another 10 miles or so....of course, my bike has a 41mm flat slide and a 680 big bore kit and aggressive gearing, so the mileage is my least concern....
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #587
slydrite
Yea buddy!
 
slydrite's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SF Yay Area
Oddometer: 340
here's my "big pig"

pic was taken at coyote cal's in Baja last weekend
Attached Images
 
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #588
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 41
Disappointed!

Well,
I finally took my bike for some dirt riding. The first experience was quite disappointing... May be I was expecting too much from the bike and myself. Admittedly, I am out of practice...

My biggest complaint is the gearing is way too tall for any kind of good dirt riding other than the gravel roads. This bike should have SIX gears with the 1st being much lower than what it is... Then it will make a true dual sports bike. I thought about changing the sprockets, but am concerned about highway riding will be compromised. What is your expert opinion on this?

How many teeth do the current sprockets have? What do you recommend I swap it with? Where to buy? Would I need a new chain too?

It takes some serious muscle to maneuver this bike. It is way too big and heavy. The suspension is very soft too (It still have the factory settings).

I stalled it while crossing a stream (about knee deep with lots of slippery stone)

I now have 500 miles on it. When can I start riding it hardJ? Full throttle operation? When can I wheelie? A local Honda shop told me that I should wait till I get my first service (600 miles)…. Someone was saying after 1000 miles. Any advise, please?

Speaking of the first service… Do you suggest taking it to a Honda dealer? Is it worth the money… or should I do it myself?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for all your expert opinions.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #589
rokklym
one man wolfpack
 
rokklym's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Westby Wisconsin
Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shair_Khan
Well,
I finally took my bike for some dirt riding. The first experience was quite disappointing... May be I was expecting too much from the bike and myself. Admittedly, I am out of practice...

My biggest complaint is the gearing is way too tall for any kind of good dirt riding other than the gravel roads. This bike should have SIX gears with the 1st being much lower than what it is... Then it will make a true dual sports bike. I thought about changing the sprockets, but am concerned about highway riding will be compromised. What is your expert opinion on this?

How many teeth do the current sprockets have? What do you recommend I swap it with? Where to buy? Would I need a new chain too?

It takes some serious muscle to maneuver this bike. It is way too big and heavy. The suspension is very soft too (It still have the factory settings).

I stalled it while crossing a stream (about knee deep with lots of slippery stone)

I now have 500 miles on it. When can I start riding it hardJ? Full throttle operation? When can I wheelie? A local Honda shop told me that I should wait till I get my first service (600 miles)…. Someone was saying after 1000 miles. Any advise, please?

Speaking of the first service… Do you suggest taking it to a Honda dealer? Is it worth the money… or should I do it myself?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for all your expert opinions.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
You have found the big problem with the XRL. They do need a six speed! The jump between first and second gear is huge, they should really be closer. Stock, the XRL's have 15 tooth countershaft and 45 tooth rear sprocket. Generally, most people change the sprockets and chain all at once. If your bike only has 500 miles you could probably get away with dropping the countershaft sprocket one tooth. I run 14/48 gearing on mine and I like it. I switched it to 15/48 one day and wasn't happy, so I went back to 14/48. If your riding alot of highway, then you may only want to change one sprocket. Mine will run 65mph all day and go 80, but the rpms are getting up there at that speed.

If it were my bike I'd be riding the heck out of it already. change the oil & filter, check the valves and then ride it like you stole it!!
__________________
Check out the Blog!
MotoGraphic
MotoGraphic Tumblr
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #590
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 41
Question Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
Your right, there is a small filter in the fuel shut off valve. I guess i remember that now. My manual says its also a good idea to install a small inline filter.
I could not locate the fuel filter that you and katbeanz mentioned. Can I use any inline filter for cars from Autozone or for lawn mowers from Home Depot.... Or are there some recommended brand and/or specifications?

Thanks.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #591
rokklym
one man wolfpack
 
rokklym's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Westby Wisconsin
Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydrite
here's my "big pig"

pic was taken at coyote cal's in Baja last weekend
Nice bike!!
you rode in Baja with Gripsters? Did ya stay mostly to the roads or were you on trails?

I like the header wrap! Hows that working out for ya?
__________________
Check out the Blog!
MotoGraphic
MotoGraphic Tumblr
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #592
rokklym
one man wolfpack
 
rokklym's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Westby Wisconsin
Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shair_Khan
I could not locate the fuel filter that you and katbeanz mentioned. Can I use any inline filter for cars from Autozone or for lawn mowers from Home Depot.... Or are there some recommended brand and/or specifications?

Thanks.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan


This is what you need!
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...0&navType=type

you can get them at most motorcycle dealers. auto parts places may have them too.
__________________
Check out the Blog!
MotoGraphic
MotoGraphic Tumblr
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #593
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym

This is what you need!
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...0&navType=type

you can get them at most motorcycle dealers. auto parts places may have them too.
Thank you.

--
S. A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #594
slydrite
Yea buddy!
 
slydrite's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SF Yay Area
Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
Nice bike!!
you rode in Baja with Gripsters? Did ya stay mostly to the roads or were you on trails?

I like the header wrap! Hows that working out for ya?
even worse than Gripsters.....I have a Pirrelli Scorpian A/T on the rear

we did some trails, but mostly on road......I've often found that the rider makes more of a difference than the tires, but of course, for the knarly stuff, you must have knobs....I had no problems on the lite trails we did, which were kinda rocky and maybe Gripsters are better on rocks than knobs anyway?

the header wrap was put on by the previous owner and he did all the motor work,........41 FCR, big bore kit, hot cams, White Bros full exhaust, de-smogged, all unecessary shite removed and aggressive gearing....needless to say, this bike is not slow ,it's light (for an XR-L) and it'll power wheelie easliy in the first two gears...

but the header wrap seems to work fine for keeping leg from getting burned....the only precaution I take is that if I get it wet, I let the bike idle for 5 mins after getting it wet to evaporate all the water in and under the wrap......
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #595
onaXR OP
Druid
 
onaXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: WV
Oddometer: 2,087
Any of you guys gonna make this?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131244
I know there are a few of you in VA and Ohio. I am going to hook up with AndyB from here and ride up. Let me know and well try to ride up together.
__________________
Klaatu barada nikto
onaXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #596
IDAHOSPUD
Adventurer
 
IDAHOSPUD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boise Idaho USA
Oddometer: 37
fuel filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
If I recall correctly, the fuel filter is made onto the part above the petcock that goes up in the tank. You can see it see it looking in the filler neck with a flashlight.
That sounds like decent mileage for an xrl. I've often thought of carrying a little pump like I use to fill a kerosene heater to get that last bit of gas vs wrestling the bike around. Here's what clymer's has to say about it.


Welcome
When i installed my clark 4.7, i could not get the petcock filter to work, it would not fit up into the tank, so i left it off. as i recall the hole in the tank was to small.
IDAHOSPUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #597
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHOSPUD
When i installed my clark 4.7, i could not get the petcock filter to work, it would not fit up into the tank, so i left it off. as i recall the hole in the tank was to small.
The stock petcock actually has 2 'filters'- the large one that sticks up into the tank, and another screen in the little thread-off bowl on the bottom of the petcock.

BTW, if you ever suspect water in the gas, that little bowl is a great place to look for it.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #598
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure
 
Kinsman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Bitterroot Valley, Western Montana
Oddometer: 3,675
I concur, doctor.
When you preflight an airplane, you drain a sample out of each tank, and if there's water in it, it will show up there...in the lowest part of the fuel system.
__________________
Chris

Schreckendgust Field
Florence, MT

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #599
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 41
Question Valve adjustment & Fuel filter

Hi all,


1. What are the valve clearances for 2006 XR650L?


2. Is there any particular procedure / advise from your experience & knowledge that I should pay special attention to, while doing the valve adjustment myself? One question though... How do you make sure that the piston is EXACTLY at TDC of the compression stroke? If I recall correctly from my motorcycling days :) there used to be a mark on the magnet to align with the mark on magnet housing.... Please advice.


3. What are the symptoms if the valves are not properly adjusted.... i.e. symptoms of too little or too much clearance.

4. Thank you all for helping with the fuel filter question. I went to a local Auto parts shop and bought 2 filters.... don't know which one of them I will install today. One is a small car fuel filter made of metal, so I can't really tell what the actual filter element is. The other one is from the lawnmower section and is made out of plastic. Does it make any difference which one I use.... I was thinking the one for cars would probably be a better quality? What is your take?

I am not sure how to attach a picture... please see if the following link works!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1146939885





I appreciate y’alls help. Thank you.


--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
Attached Images
 
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #600
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
You have found the big problem with the XRL. They do need a six speed! The jump between first and second gear is huge, they should really be closer. Stock, the XRL's have 15 tooth countershaft and 45 tooth rear sprocket. Generally, most people change the sprockets and chain all at once. If your bike only has 500 miles you could probably get away with dropping the countershaft sprocket one tooth. I run 14/48 gearing on mine and I like it. I switched it to 15/48 one day and wasn't happy, so I went back to 14/48. If your riding alot of highway, then you may only want to change one sprocket. Mine will run 65mph all day and go 80, but the rpms are getting up there at that speed.

If it were my bike I'd be riding the heck out of it already. change the oil & filter, check the valves and then ride it like you stole it!!
By now one would think Honda would have figured out that it needs a 6 speed. It looks like they are not paying attention to their customers. Anyhow, thank you for the information on sprokets teeth. I will start with changing one and see if I can reach an ideal compromise between on/off road.

Does 14/45 provide lower final drive ratio as compared to 15/48? Which sproket is easier to change?

I did the first oil/filter change about 2 months ago at 300miles/7 months. Should I change again at the first service 600miles.... I was hoping I would do the next at 1000 miles.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014