Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #60631
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The field trick is to shut off the gas, open the drain, let all the gas out, turn on the gas, flush the needle, then close the drain.

You can also drain the bowl, attach a clear line to the drain, raise it next to the carb, turn on the fuel, and check the level in the bowl. Level of fuel in the hose=level in the bowl.
The real field trick is to bang on the carb with a hammer like tool not made for banging and get the needle to seat. Something that's on top of your tool kit and isn't long enough and pisses you off even more.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #60632
scootergmc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
The real field trick is to bang on the carb with a hammer like tool not made for banging and get the needle to seat. Something that's on top of your tool kit and isn't long enough and pisses you off even more.
Smartphones or GPS. They're usually the handiest items. +1 for rubberized protector skins for peace of mind...
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #60633
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo1968 View Post
I ride a 2001 Honda xr650l ...Just wondering what you guys think. After riding fuel starts dumping out of the overflow tube... the very bottom one with the screw...it only stops when I turn off my fuel. after a few hours it stops leaking. Thanks Frank
He said it was coming out of the bowl drain.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #60634
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

And the overflow leads to the bowl drain.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #60635
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Interesting; I've yet to come back from a first ride with any tire and not have nicks, or gouges, or even missing knobs. Sounds like a very robust tire. Why didn't you put another one on instead of going to the desert race?

The desert race is another costly tire. Probably very similar to the 908 in many ways. I may try one or the other one day, we'll see what opportunity may arise. As far as front/rear goes, it seems to me as if all front tires last me about three times as long as all rears! So far...

I just put a Michelin Anakee 3 rear on my street bike. First time I've tried anything but the Avon Azaro, which rides well, but I had a new one shed the tread while motoring along at 80-ish and Avon just gave me a song and dance routine and never did anything about it. So I'm done with them; the Michelin felt great on the initial ride.
I didn't put on another 908 because I wanted to try the Metzler and then the Michelin Desert tires became available. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap. I did put a 908 on my Husky. I don't get as good of life from fronts as you do, I guess I brake too far into turns.

I am now running the Michelin Pilot 3's on my street bike. Been stellar so far. I ride the bike daily to work. 6K so far and I can just start to see a mild flat developing in center of rear.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #60636
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
And the overflow leads to the bowl drain.
Overflow hose is on the side of the carb.....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #60637
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I did run the XCMH set and life was poor. However handling was good except for high speed road front end wobble.

Try one of these. Dun 908RR. I pulled it off at 7171 miles:
I hav the 908 on my rear. I have been running it the whole time I've been in Africa. I have about 7,000 miles on it and I guess I'll take it off after about another 1,000 to put a 606 on for a few long trips I'm doing later. I've not had a single puncture on the 908. Is 7-8k miles a lot? Was it worth double or triple most other tires? I don't know since it was my first, but honestly have no complaints. But I don't really know any better. I do fear hating everything else I put on after though.

Has anyone used Goldentyre from Italy? Considering a set of those on my 'new' 1994 I just got last week. Going to rebuild it and replace a lot of parts. It only has 5,500 miles but looks like it's taken a handful of really hard spills.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #60638
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Overflow hose is on the side of the carb.....

B
Oh. Yeah. That.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #60639
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Oh. Yeah. That.
sorry

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #60640
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
sorry

B
been a while since I had the stocker. I thought all Keihn's ran out the drain hole for the overflow and drain.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #60641
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
been a while since I had the stocker. I thought all Keihn's ran out the drain hole for the overflow and drain.
CV has the hose on bottom for drain,,,and hose off side for overflow,,they may join together just under the carb though,,,like you i can`t remember for sure...

B
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #60642
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I didn't put on another 908 because I wanted to try the Metzler and then the Michelin Desert tires became available. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap. I did put a 908 on my Husky. I don't get as good of life from fronts as you do, I guess I brake too far into turns.

I am now running the Michelin Pilot 3's on my street bike. Been stellar so far. I ride the bike daily to work. 6K so far and I can just start to see a mild flat developing in center of rear.
Well that's cool that you discovered the benefits of the desert race tire. Actually, I normally try not to brake going into turns. I find a Zen effect in keeping a smooth, swift pace. I do know how to get carried away, though, and I do practice "panic stops" every now and then to try to stay in touch with reality.

But 6k on a rear streetbike tire? Wow! I haven't made it over 5k without the inner treads starting to show through. That's been on several Avon Azaros; perhaps this Michelin Anakee 3 will wear longer? I do use the engine to slow the bikes, downshifting at times; maybe that's why.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #60643
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Well that's cool that you discovered the benefits of the desert race tire. Actually, I normally try not to brake going into turns. I find a Zen effect in keeping a smooth, swift pace. I do know how to get carried away, though, and I do practice "panic stops" every now and then to try to stay in touch with reality.

But 6k on a rear streetbike tire? Wow! I haven't made it over 5k without the inner treads starting to show through. That's been on several Avon Azaros; perhaps this Michelin Anakee 3 will wear longer? I do use the engine to slow the bikes, downshifting at times; maybe that's why.
I got into a habit years ago of waiting 'till the motor got up to temp before getting on it hard to allow the tires to warm up. Colder out , motor takes longer and you've gone farther. My rear tires definitely last a little longer. Even my XR will spin a 160 Michelin Pilot Power on asphalt if less than 100 degrees.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #60644
vector_dumb
Happier Here

Oddometer: 218
Hey guys - I'm looking on xrsonly for a temp dipstick. The dipstick listed for the XR650L is out of stock, but the one listed for the XR650R is in stock.

Looking at the fische the dipstick part numbers are indeed different between the models. Can anybody confirm that the 'R' stick will or will not work?

Many thanks.

vector_dumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #60645
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector_dumb View Post
Hey guys - I'm looking on xrsonly for a temp dipstick. The dipstick listed for the XR650L is out of stock, but the one listed for the XR650R is in stock.

Looking at the fische the dipstick part numbers are indeed different between the models. Can anybody confirm that the 'R' stick will or will not work?

Many thanks.
I f it would work , then why would they have two different ones?