Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #6091
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
I'll throw out another tire recommendation: Kenda K760 Trackmaster II. I read some good reports from other FF's and since Rocky Mountain ATV had a 120/18 for $50 I bought one for a Mojave desert camping trip. I was super happy with this tire. Hooked up great in the desert. Turns out 3 other guys I was riding with had bought them too; all independent of each other. We were all very happy with them. I can't vouch for how they handle the twisties yet but for desert they are the bomb.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #6092
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
Here's a gratuitous L wheelie shot from todays ride.

Nice stand up.. I have yet to perfect those. I can do a clutch up wheelie from second all the way to 4th. But stand ups take too much outta me....

Do you guys with a stabalizer have that much of a difference? I see them, and a Scott's is $400 so are they worth the money? And how so?

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:40 AM   #6093
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy
Nice stand up.. I have yet to perfect those. I can do a clutch up wheelie from second all the way to 4th. But stand ups take too much outta me....

Do you guys with a stabalizer have that much of a difference? I see them, and a Scott's is $400 so are they worth the money? And how so?
I use "The Hand of God" (aka. Scott's stabilizer) on most my bikes. I have one on my 650R now but the 650L is a pretty stable bike. In fact, it's damn near freight train like. Not saying a stabilizer wouldn't make it a tad better but I haven't felt compelled to install one...........yet. My 2.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #6094
tn-steve
Addicted

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad
Where does all that beautiful hardware come from? Do tell.
RSW Triple clamp, Scotts clamp on post, Emig bar clamps/stabilizer mounts (the ones for the older CR's), and Emig stabilizer.

The RSW triple clamp required some modifications to work - small area milled out on front/underneath to clear clamp on post and mounting holes enlarged and slotted to accomodate 3.5" center-center holes on the bar mounts and larger bolts.

The clamp on post just needed cut down to proper height.

On the bike, there are a couple of unused threads on the steering stem that I had to remove for clearance - I just left the nut on and ground the threads flush with the top of the nut.
tn-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #6095
tn-steve
Addicted

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
I use "The Hand of God" (aka. Scott's stabilizer) on most my bikes. I have one on my 650R now but the 650L is a pretty stable bike. In fact, it's damn near freight train like. Not saying a stabilizer wouldn't make it a tad better but I haven't felt compelled to install one...........yet. My 2.
To date I never felt the need for one on my L in the dirt. Different story on the street. I installed mine in hopes of some added stability on the pavement at 70-80mph. Particularly when I'm in heavy winds or on the freeway in truckwash.

I'll be taking it on a multi-day ride towards the end of May and can evaluate the effectiveness...
tn-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #6096
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn-steve
To date I never felt the need for one on my L in the dirt. Different story on the street. I installed mine in hopes of some added stability on the pavement at 70-80mph. Particularly when I'm in heavy winds or on the freeway in truckwash.

I'll be taking it on a multi-day ride towards the end of May and can evaluate the effectiveness...
That's a good point. I never really go above 65 or so on the street so I can't really say.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #6097
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy
I'm running a Sumo setup on my L and I have a Scott's steering damper. It definitely makes it more stable at highway speeds, especially when it's windy. You'll still get tossed around a bit, but the bike will be pretty much rock solid.

Here's a couple of pics of mine:

Old 05-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #6098
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,460
If you don't want to spend the money on a stabilizer. You might try a lowering link. Leave the forks where there are stock. This will increase the trail and make the bike more stable a higher speeds. This really helped me in the desert. That with a fork brace and there is no surprises. Even though I did not do it for the pavement it did help there as well when running over 65 mph.

Cigar Mike
Old 05-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #6099
tommy salami
What the DUECE?

Oddometer: 222
rude interuption, pardon me. need help!

01 xrl won't start, gets spark and fuel! "puts" every now and then.

"t" mark lines up with cam marks with the lobes down, like the manual says???
tommy salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #6100
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
That's funny you said that... On friday in some serious single track, I was saying to my buddy on his XRL when we about to do some log jumping... "these Big Pigs are easy!, Just point and shoot".....

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #6101
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Hey guys......I think I have the swine flu....................I'm sick of not being able to rid my pig
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #6102
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercustoms
Hey guys......I think I have the swine flu....................I'm sick of not being able to rid my pig
Damik, I am heading to Homedepot to buy a ARK kit! I heard from the weather forcaster they have them on sale.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #6103
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
I need a new fuel line from the tank to the carb , is it 1/4 " ?
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #6104
sailorchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Tire preasure

Hello Riders--I just put some Dunlop D-606 on front and rear. Rode 50 miles of road. Not to happy with them. The front seems to wash out easy. Do they have a run in time??? And what kind of tire preasure should I be running??? They are a stiff tire. Thanks Chuck
sailorchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #6105
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchuck
Hello Riders--I just put some Dunlop D-606 on front and rear. Rode 50 miles of road. Not to happy with them. The front seems to wash out easy. Do they have a run in time??? And what kind of tire preasure should I be running??? They are a stiff tire. Thanks Chuck
I've found that they need a couple hundred miles to "break in." YMMV

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote