Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #64426
nic579
x

Oddometer: 364
Seeing they don't do warranty repairs i suspect you were getting a line to sell you their service dept labor.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #64427
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
I get the feeling when he refilled after his oil change he filled it without running it any and only filled the tank.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #64428
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Earth brown or chocolate brown
As long as it isn`t brown with bits of corn in it,,you`re good.....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #64429
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post

B

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #64430
6xMonsters
Turd Ferguson

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I get the feeling when he refilled after his oil change he filled it without running it any and only filled the tank.
I followed the manual to the letter. This is why it confuses me so much. I filled from a 5 quart jug with volumes on the side of it as well so I know how much went into it.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #64431
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post

B
Chain grease?

Sent from my clutch hand while riding a wheelie....
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #64432
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
Best Years for Honda XRL

I am asking for my son, I have a short 30" inseam so I have a DR, my son is looking to get his first DS bike, and since he is tall I recomended a Honda XR650L, I'm not familar with XRL's so what is a good year for a used XRL? thanks
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #64433
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman002 View Post
Thumpers burn oil, especially at highway speed, at least thats what I have heard. I check my oil upon pulling into my garage about every other ride (short commute). 2000 miles is also a fairly large amount on an oil change from what I hear.

I'm surprised you were able to get an oil reading if it was massively low.
Indeed, I usually check the oil on all my bikes after every ride. The XR650L does use some oil when running at highway speeds.

The owner's manual specifies an oil change every 2,000 miles, and an oil filter change every 8,000 miles. I follow this schedule with good results. However, I must say my used oil looks much better since I installed my oil cooler.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #64434
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
After much time studying that bracket, in either hole, I came to the same conclusion, that it would eventually eat a hole in the tank. I have been running without it for several years now with no problems.
Also on my tank, the depressions for that bracket to sit in are at different heights, very odd. I may ditch it.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #64435
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I am asking for my son, I have a short 30" inseam so I have a DR, my son is looking to get his first DS bike, and since he is tall I recomended a Honda XR650L, I'm not familar with XRL's so what is a good year for a used XRL? thanks

They are all the same from day one back in 1993. Although the '93 and '94 had a 1/2" shorter shock everything since is the same but for colors and graphics.

Find the one that is well priced and not beat. I'm working on a fellas 2003 motor that needed a new countershaft because the PO installed an aftermarket sprocket and it killed the shaft. To inspect the shaft the sprocket MUST be removed for inspection.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #64436
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xMonsters View Post
I followed the manual to the letter. This is why it confuses me so much. I filled from a 5 quart jug with volumes on the side of it as well so I know how much went into it.
Assuming you changed your oil at about 500 miles after break in that puts you at about 1900 on this oil. I'm with XR650L_Dave, would like to know how much oil ends up being drained out. I would think if it went thru that much oil at least the plug should look oil fouled.

For sub frame supports you may want to look into Manracks hog legs http://www.manracks.com/#!honda-xr650l/c108q
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #64437
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
They are all the same from day one back in 1993. Although the '93 and '94 had a 1/2" shorter shock everything since is the same but for colors and graphics.

Find the one that is well priced and not beat. I'm working on a fellas 2003 motor that needed a new countershaft because the PO installed an aftermarket sprocket and it killed the shaft. To inspect the shaft the sprocket MUST be removed for inspection.
Good advice right there. Pull the cover for sure (people welding sprockets to the shaft is not unheard of) and if at all possible pull the sprocket and check the shaft. Some groves are OK, and you can put a 650r sprocket on the prevent further wear, but a badly worn shaft is an expensive repair so the bike needs to be DIRT cheap or just walk away.

Other than that its standard use vehicle purchase, see it in the day, listen closely, look for fudged up repairs, etc.

Otherwise as mentioned they are all the same, so then its just mileage and condition. Probably one of the easiest bikes to buy, almost dead reliable and no 'bad years' to watch out for, not to mention 20 years of bikes to pick from.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #64438
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Assuming you changed your oil at about 500 miles after break in that puts you at about 1900 on this oil. I'm with XR650L_Dave, would like to know how much oil ends up being drained out. I would think if it went thru that much oil at least the plug should look oil fouled.
I've got to say, when my oil level started dropping down the dip stick, the lower it got, the faster the bike seemed to use it. Keep it topped off and it rarely used much. Don't keep it at the full mark and before you know it, its down a lot! I could see a quart++ low in 1800-1900 miles of highway riding if it was never checked.

My plug has always looked good.

YOCMV

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #64439
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Ok, here's the situation. When they got the bike, the fired it up to give it a listen and heard the knocking I reported. Their first step was to start adding oil to see what its level was. They were apparently able to add around 1.5 quarts to it! This means the top end is likely fried to a significant degree.

There's a fair chance I'm a moron, and I can cope with that as long as I can figure out this mystery. The Honda tech said there was no residue on the exhaust that would indicate the bike burns significant oil, and no indication of leak anywhere else. The bike is garage kept and there is no oil on my floor. It has 2400ish miles on it, with less than 2k on the current oil change. I've never smelled burning oil or seen smoke come from the bike ever. It's a brand new 2013 and I can't figure out where 70% of the bike's oil went over the course of one month of riding and why there was no indicator that it was burning up (smell or smoke). As I said in my first post, I checked the oil in the parking lot after I pulled over. It was leaned on the stand, which I know can give a skewed reading, but at only 30% oil, I would think I would need to lay the bike almost on its side just to register oil level on the dip stick. Does this bike really burn THAT much oil even when new? Am I the dumb one for not checking it every day?
When I first read your first post, my first reaction was he ran it out of oil. Then I reread the post and saw where you said you checked the oil and had some so I figure I was wrong. Now unfortunately It looks like I might have been right. So now to answer some of the questions based on my 90 plus thousand miles of mostly pavement riding on an XRL.

Yes a XR65L can really burn that much oil even when new. I also learned this the hard way. No you won't smell it and it won't smoke. The plug will be clean, a nice light tan. I don't think the oil is be burnt in the classic sense of oil getting into the combustion chamber and going out the exhaust pipe, What I think is happening is the oil is being over heated by a hot engine and breaking down. My bikes oil consumption varied quit a bit. It seems the hotter the oil/engine gets the more oil it uses.

Cooling the oil seems to slow, sometimes almost eliminate, the oil usage. I have a big fin head on mine, others have used an oil cooler. I think either one is effective. A cooler is cheaper and probably easier to retrofit, unless you are doing major engine work anyway. With a big fin head there is no extra plumbing to break in a get off. You might want to build yourself one of Spud's oil temperature dipsticks.

No you don't have to check your oil everyday, but it would be wise to check it 2 to 3 times between the recommended 2000 mile oil changes. I shoot for every 500 to 700 miles. When on a trip where I might put 4 to 500 miles a day on the bike, I will check and, top up if needed, every morning.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #64440
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
If you have a problem getting warranty work, contact American Honda Customer Service. If your dealership declines you as a warranty customer, this is your best route to take. Honda does honor their warranty as do most good dealers. It cost the shop nothing to get your warranty through. They still get paid either way. "Most" shops look at warranty as a job that gets paid quickly and the customer is happy. If you are the original owner you shouldn't have problems, jetting mods only cause problems if you have a failure related to the mod.