Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #646
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhk
Rokklym - that oil is awesome BTW - I run it too.

Shair_Khan - This is one of the great mysteries of the ridiculously simple XRL. It is very easy to misread the oil level and freak out. To use a quart in 300 miles, I think it would have to be smoking and leaking. If it isn't smoking or leaking, don't worry about it. I just change my oil every 500-1000 miles and that's it. If less than 2 qts comes out, then keep an eye on it. If it's really dirty, change it more often and check your airt filter seal. If there is metal flake in it - get it checked out.

I always like to give this bike the benefit of the doubt. That is one of the things I love most about it. After a half-dozen Land Rovers, I was a nervous wreck about cars and bikes. I would carry tools everywhere and constantly be worried about some noise or symptom. Then I bought a Nissan and it has taught me to chill out again. 75,000 trouble-free miles.

As for bikes, I bought the XRL - same thing. This thing is tough! 10,000 trouble-free miles amd it's smoother and faster than new. It ruined my relationship with my ZX9R because the Kwak had so many miles on it, there was a new symptom every time I rode it! So, I sold it...

For me, motorcycling is supposed to be fun and worrying too much isn't fun. Unfortunately, the unreliable oil checking procedure on the XRL is a source of anxiety. Just remeber how tough this bike is and the odds of having engine trouble are small. Just make sure you change the oil often, treat her well, and she'll reciprocate...

The only logical next step seems to be to change the oil and measure it. It doesn't have to be exact. My guess is you'll drain more than 2 qts. Maybe even close to three. Remember, it takes a full tear down to drain ALL the oil.
After adding close to a quart of oil... here are some observations I have made: (I just wanted to see what happens)

1. Checked oil with dipstick right after adding the oil (NOT following the correct oil check procedure)... It raised it from low mark to half.

2. Followed the correct procedure of checking oil level (with 5 min. idling as per the user manual).... The level went up a little bit higher than the half way between low & full.

3. Rode the bike for 3 miles with rapid acceleration. Took to an empty lot and did a couple of wheelies .... Checked oil... it rose to a little bit above the full mark!

Can anyone please check your oil 1) before starting, 2) after idling as recommended by the book, and 3) after riding for a few miles. You don't have to wheelie on my account . Any / All comments are welcome!!!

I guess I will drain the oil and measure it, as all you good folks have suggested. I will try to get the new oil today from the dealer. Should I also change the filter? (I changed the filter at my first oil change at 300 miles. The bike has 600 miles now... this filter and oil has been used for only 300 miles.)

On a different note... I was planning to perform first service myself and was going to adjust valves and drive chain. Any other thing I need to do? The dealer was talking about re-torqueing.... is that re-torquing all the body bolts or the engine / head bolts need re-torquing too?

Thank you everyone, I will keep you posted on the oil mystery.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #647
FrothyWhiskers
beast beatle

Oddometer: 55
How does an 85' taste?

So, I have yet to join the ranks of the full on XR owners, but I am in the midst of contemplation. I am looking at a 1985 XR600. And I am wondering if perhaps motorbikes are like wine, and if so, was 85' a good year for ye ol' XR? Are there any things to look out for when purchasing an older XR, or a mid-80's one in particular? I would appreciate any feedback y'all might have. (For the record, this one seems to be pretty dirt specific...but comes with a dualsport kit for lighting legalities. Due to this, it lacks an odometer. The seller seems to be a competent mechanic, and he says that the bike is in great shape for its age. How might I get a better idea of how many miles are on the engine?). Cheers.
FrothyWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #648
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,083
This is my 97 XR.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 PM   #649
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrothyWhiskers
... How might I get a better idea of how many miles are on the engine?). Cheers.
Look for wear on other parts. Look at the plastic chain guides above and below the swingarm. They wore out on my XR650L in about 11k miles, so if they are original, you can guess the age from these.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 PM   #650
FrothyWhiskers
beast beatle

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
Look for wear on other parts. Look at the plastic chain guides above and below the swingarm. They wore out on my XR650L in about 11k miles, so if they are original, you can guess the age from these.
Yo Murgatroid, first of all, I will have you know that my ol' galfriend and fellow adventurer (Appalachian Trail, South American romp) had the surname Murgatroyd.. ..almost the same. I've never seen another. Anyhow, thanks for the tip (that's a good one). The owner said he just had the head gasket replaced after a small leak developed. One would think that said operation would expose a few other major problems should they exist. So I guess it's a good sign that it was just done.

Oh, and can I expect to get at least 40mpg (on the highway) out of this ol' dog if it's set up with the right gear ratio?
FrothyWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #651
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
...Oh, and can I expect to get at least 40mpg (on the highway) out of this ol' dog if it's set up with the right gear ratio?
A friend had a 1999 dualsported XR600, with stock carb and gearing. He got high 30's, until he got a free-flowing air filter and a White Brothers exhaust tip for the stock muffler. The noise did not increase much at all, but gas mileage improved to about 42 on the highway.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 AM   #652
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,646
Quote:
Oh, and can I expect to get at least 40mpg (on the highway) out of this ol' dog if it's set up with the right gear ratio?
Stock, with the lean jetting, my new '06 XRL gets about 50 mpg; I am certain this will drop once I jet it and throw on a pipe; my '03 got about 40-42 mpg with the FMF exhaut, K&N filter, and jetting changes.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #653
wannabeone
Stupid HURTS.....

Oddometer: 2
Thumb LOOK OUT FOR parts----UNobtainium....

Quote:
So, I have yet to join the ranks of the full on XR owners, but I am in the midst of contemplation. I am looking at a 1985 XR600. And I am wondering if perhaps motorbikes are like wine, and if so, was 85' a good year for ye ol' XR? Are there any things to look out for when purchasing an older XR, or a mid-80's one in particular? I would appreciate any feedback y'all might have. (For the record, this one seems to be pretty dirt specific...but comes with a dualsport kit for lighting legalities. Due to this, it lacks an odometer. The seller seems to be a competent mechanic, and he says that the bike is in great shape for its age. How might I get a better idea of how many miles are on the engine?). Cheers.
once the bike gets that old, it can be difficult to get replacement parts, but if it is cheap and it runs, it very well may continue to do so for a long time to come...
wannabeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #654
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeone
once the bike gets that old, it can be difficult to get replacement parts, but if it is cheap and it runs, it very well may continue to do so for a long time to come...
No worries about getting parts for that. Allot of years share the basic same parts.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #655
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420
Jetting:

I ride at between 500 & 1300 feet elevation normally and did the "Daves" mods 55/158 jets. next week I'm heading out to the Black Hills in South Dakota which are between 5 and 7 thousand feet. Should I rejet? I have a few jets I think, and the stock ones. I realize that 5-7 thousand isn't very high but its quite a bit more than I'm normally used to. Should I lean it out? maybe do something with the fuel mix screw? I'd rather work on it now than trailside..

Thanks!

PS. its on an 02 XRL, Daves Mods, Uni Filter, Hotcam, Desmogged and snorkel removed, stock pipe.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #656
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
Jetting:

I ride at between 500 & 1300 feet elevation normally and did the "Daves" mods 55/158 jets. next week I'm heading out to the Black Hills in South Dakota which are between 5 and 7 thousand feet. Should I rejet? I have a few jets I think, and the stock ones. I realize that 5-7 thousand isn't very high but its quite a bit more than I'm normally used to. Should I lean it out? maybe do something with the fuel mix screw? I'd rather work on it now than trailside..

Thanks!

PS. its on an 02 XRL, Daves Mods, Uni Filter, Hotcam, Desmogged and snorkel removed, stock pipe.
I think it will still pull you around, but if you want max performance I would drop one size on the main. The cv carb is supposed to be altitude compensating. In my experience with a modded cv carb that means going from 35-40 mpg to the mid 20's at 8k and up.
I want the sob to pull, nothing pisses me more than the more throttle you give it on a gnarly uphill hi elev climb, the worse it runs.
For reference I drop one size to go from home @~1k with a 160, to 4k and a 150 (Moab) in elevation with the mikuni, Ouray is 8k and more and I use a 140 or it doesn't pull strong. Even rejetting the power's going to be way down from what you're used to, here's a lesson learned on 14k mt. antero..

That was the old twin conventional carbed, postage stamp sized air filtered, rejetted primary carb 83 xl600.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:55 AM   #657
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Thanks, That was the info I was looking for! I might need that power, I'll have to check and see what I have for jets.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 05-19-2006, 04:04 AM   #658
rokklym
one man wolfpack

would the stock 152? be a good jet to put in there?
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 05-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #659
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,092
Ok guys I have a problem that somebody in here can suggest a answer for.
I have a popping in my forks both forks and the same place.
I took them off and cycled them manually.
I have ran 17 to 22 ozs of oil and they still pop.
They pop soon as rebound starts, no matter what oil level or setting on the rebound is.
When I take them apart I see fork cap hooked to damping rod, small washer, then spring. Take all that apart and cycle just the tube,no pop.
Cycle just the valve rod no pop. Refill oil and pop. Is there some thing missing in these forks? What gives?

Also between the speedo gear housing and the fork tube what is the gap measurement here? Should it be flush or is there a small 5mm gap?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #660
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!

Oddometer: 41
Oil Consumption Update #2

Hi All,

I drained the oil and measured it as you all had sugested, and also have been observing very closely the new oil that I have put in. Here are the findings:

1. The oil that came out was 16 Oz. (1/2 quart) LESS than what I had put in. So, apparently it consumed 1/2 quart in 300 miles. Isn't that too much consumption for a bike with only 600 miles?

2. The book recommends installing 2.06 qts (aprox. 2qt & 2 oz.)when you change the filter. However, I have installed 2qts & 4 oz (slight miss calculation ). and will be observing it very closely.

3. There were some very tiny shiney metal particles in the filter and filter housing. Is that normal?

4. What is most concerning at this time is that when I follow the book's stated method of checking oil (after idling for 3 to 5 mins.); The oil DOES NOT register on the dipstick AT ALL. IT falls obviously below the minimum level and apparently sits in the crankcase. However when I abruptly accelerate or ride it hard the oil shows up. I have discussed this with a dealer and they are lost too!

Rather than a relaxing activity which I used to enjoy so much... It has become a source of anxiety. Any help/comments are greatly appreciated.

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan

P.S.
I thought I may be idling too slow... I raised the idle speed, but it did not make any difference. The oil only registers on the dipstick after the bike is ridden at a higher RPM.

Would you please do a little experiment for me... After your bike has sat for several hours. 1) Check the oil without starting. 2) Idle for (do not accelerate) 3 to 5 mins. 3) Check oil again... did it rise or drop? and by how much? Thank you in advance for your help... Lunch would be on me next time you are in TX !!!

Shair_Khan screwed with this post 05-20-2006 at 09:57 AM
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote