User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #6841
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Pig layed down

Went for a little ride in southern Indiana this past weekend and the pig layed down for a little nap on me

Old 06-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #6842
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Went for a little ride in southern Indiana this past weekend and the pig layed down for a little nap on me
Nice!! I almost did that this last weekend. We had a big rain on Thursday and on Saturday I was on the dirt going down a hill and at the bottom it was all full of mud and I barely got through without dumping the bike.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #6843
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod
Hey Doughy with the blessing of the POPE and the monks of Munich (beer monks; the best kind) UPS dropped off the parts today! Thanks man I know how much of a hassle these parts have been.

THANK DoG!!!!! Finally you can have a front fender without a bracket....

I learn't a lot cause I know now how to deal with customs.

Sorry for the wait... Hope all is in order?

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #6844
Dugw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
not the best view, but...

exploring the hills around home.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Doug/Pictures/may16-09/dugw.jpg[/IMG]
Dugw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #6845
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Everything is awesome man thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy
THANK DoG!!!!! Finally you can have a front fender without a bracket....

I learn't a lot cause I know now how to deal with customs.

Sorry for the wait... Hope all is in order?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #6846
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
XR650L pipes???

When I got my XR650L it had a Big Gun exhaust on it. Had the early generation core that was prone to melting and then blowing out! Had the baffle replaced with a newer quiet core which was slightly more quiet. Still not quiet. I have about 13K on the bike and she gets ridden hard on and off road. Commute is about 26 miles a day when not on my FJR.
Long story short, my Big Gun cracked at the seam of the rear pipe on the last 500mi dual sport weekend at Green Ridge. Said crack blew hot exhaust into my side panel which melted and through a set of Ortlieb saddlebags. Melted hole in bag and burned clothes in bag. HMMM, recently threw some JB weld on it to see if it would get me another season. out of the pipe. The thin coat I had on cracked again and I need to think about another pipe. The Big Gun HEADER is OK. I need to get another exhaust pipe.
A: is there a decent relatively quiet aftermarket pipe I could fit to the BG header?
B: I'm not thrilled about looking for a used OEM system as they are heavy
C: Thinking about all the tons of quiet streetbike pipes which get tossed in favor of after market pipes. Has anybody taken a streetbike pipe and fitted it to an XR650L or is this just a stupid idea? I want quiet and no packing if I can help it. How loud is an XRs only system? Will their exhaust connect to a BG header? Sorry for the 20 questions
OR, MORE JB weld! I just blew a LOT of money on my FJR suspension and new shoes for both bikes!

OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #6847
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
are you good friends with someone who can fab and weld stainless? You might just build a new end for your existing pipe.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #6848
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Again with the brake crap!!!
So I inspect the pistons and they look good. The top one popped out first so I looked it over, put it in and clamped it in place, and pumped the lever and got the bottom one almost out. Convinced it wasn't that I tried to put it all back but I couldn't depress the pistons. I know it should be some what hard but they would not go in. I started to think........I try-ed to reverse bleed the brakes once and couldn't do it. It's like the fluid will not go back wards through the lines. If thats the case maybe it's the pump and lever.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #6849
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOff
When I got my XR650L it had a Big Gun exhaust on it. Had the early generation core that was prone to melting and then blowing out! Had the baffle replaced with a newer quiet core which was slightly more quiet. Still not quiet. I have about 13K on the bike and she gets ridden hard on and off road. Commute is about 26 miles a day when not on my FJR.
Long story short, my Big Gun cracked at the seam of the rear pipe on the last 500mi dual sport weekend at Green Ridge. Said crack blew hot exhaust into my side panel which melted and through a set of Ortlieb saddlebags. Melted hole in bag and burned clothes in bag. HMMM, recently threw some JB weld on it to see if it would get me another season. out of the pipe. The thin coat I had on cracked again and I need to think about another pipe. The Big Gun HEADER is OK. I need to get another exhaust pipe.
A: is there a decent relatively quiet aftermarket pipe I could fit to the BG header?
B: I'm not thrilled about looking for a used OEM system as they are heavy
C: Thinking about all the tons of quiet streetbike pipes which get tossed in favor of after market pipes. Has anybody taken a streetbike pipe and fitted it to an XR650L or is this just a stupid idea? I want quiet and no packing if I can help it. How loud is an XRs only system? Will their exhaust connect to a BG header? Sorry for the 20 questions
OR, MORE JB weld! I just blew a LOT of money on my FJR suspension and new shoes for both bikes!

You need to talk with kubiak . He had duel exhaust on one of his L's. As for street bike mufflers I was thinking the same thing one time and found one off a ducatii 1000. It looked like it would mount under the finder.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #6850
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

slop in the swingarm?

Is there any up and down slop in your swingarm when your bikes on a stand?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #6851
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,688
Slop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercustoms
slop in the swingarm?

Is there any up and down slop in your swingarm when your bikes on a stand?

Check the eye on the top of your shock, all the linkages and rock the swingarm side to side.

Caliper piston. Did you open the bleeder when you tried to press the piston back in? You may have a bad check valve in your master cylinder.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:43 AM   #6852
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
I woud pull the caliper off the bike and remove both pistons. You can use compressed air to remove them. Inspect them and maybe brush them with fine emery cloth or very fine sand paper if you find any burs. Also check the seals. With the caliper still off the bike check for smooth movement of the pistons in the caliper. If all this checks out okay then you can be pretty certain your master cylinder has gone south. Not sure if they sell a rebuild kit for the mc, probably not. If not then ebay would be where to look for a replacement. I'm sure the item from Honda would be a million dollars and six months away.

Quote:
So I inspect the pistons and they look good. The top one popped out first so I looked it over, put it in and clamped it in place, and pumped the lever and got the bottom one almost out. Convinced it wasn't that I tried to put it all back but I couldn't depress the pistons. I know it should be some what hard but they would not go in. I started to think........I try-ed to reverse bleed the brakes once and couldn't do it. It's like the fluid will not go back wards through the lines. If thats the case maybe it's the pump and lever.
Any thoughts?
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #6853
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Retire the Parts

Quote:
Any thoughts?

Watch Ebay and buy a wole new front brake caliper and cylinder
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #6854
zcooney
Ask about my red wings

Oddometer: 146
So, I just got my cylinder honed and I am in the market for a piston kit. The only one's I am finding are the JE and Wiseco 10.5:1 high compression pistons. This isn't a planned upgrade so I'm short on cash, will I be ok running just the new piston, or is the hot cam upgrade a must? Also, I have the carb fully modded per Dave spec (55/158 pretty sure), but will I need to throw some new jets in for the new piston? Does anyone know the size? I'm supposed to be taking the XRL on a trip coming up on July 3, so I don't have much time to guess and check the jets and get a decent break-in of the new piston. Thanks!
zcooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #6855
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottyours
yeah im sure. i used the one that came with the bike and one of my snap-on 18mm and there both loose. honda dealer stopped returning my calls so i guess ill have to take the 70 mile ride, darn. they already said that theres nothing they could or would do regaurding warranty because there is no proving that it was like that from the factory or that i just cross threaded it.
If this condition is the way you bought it, I recomend you rase hell with American Honda and get your bike fixed and the dealer fired.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote