Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #7426
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCBRXX
What tire combo's are most people having good luck with on the XRL.

I want to keep the 606 on the rear, I read once of the MT21 for a front. Anybody running this set up.
A better match for the 606 rear is probably an XCMH front (used to be the MT18HD, from what I can tell).

If you don't care if it's DOT or not, there are many other choices.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #7427
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
I've been doing alot of slab lately, I have two complete sets of rims... I started thinking...

Has anyone laced an 18" rear rim to the front hub of an xr650l. I thought it would be a semi-sumo/scrambler look. Probably run a kenda 761 up front too if I did that.

Any ideas... same tire/rim front and back
I have seen pics (other bikes) of this, and would love to try it.
A big 18 inch tire is almost the same outside diameter as a 21 inch.

Alas I'm cheap and unambitious. Maybe I need to start taking speed?

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #7428
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Just back from a trip and the bike ran great apart from one thing - it would not idle. Well I should say, if I turned the idle up it would idle fine one second and then the next it would be as if the choke was on so I'd turn down the idle and then bam, it would stall at the next stop.

The only thing I have done to it recently is check and adjust the valves - would valve clearances affect the idle at all ?

If not, any thoughts ? Blocked pilot jet mebbe

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #7429
abrasive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Just had the same problem with my '00 XRL. Idle would be super fast or normal, seemingly at random. Eventually (30 seconds or longer) the idle would drop to normal.

Pulled the carb, cleaned the hell out of it, put it back together. Fired right up and the problem seems to be gone. Sticky slide maybe (didn't seem to be) or some crud in there somewhere?

Before I pulled the carb, I scoured the boards for hints on what the problem might be. It's not unheard-of, but nobody has the sure-fire fix. One guy did say that adjusting his valves cured it, but that's a little wonky to me.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Just back from a trip and the bike ran great apart from one thing - it would not idle. Well I should say, if I turned the idle up it would idle fine one second and then the next it would be as if the choke was on so I'd turn down the idle and then bam, it would stall at the next stop.

The only thing I have done to it recently is check and adjust the valves - would valve clearances affect the idle at all ?

Cheers
abrasive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #7430
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
A tight valve will ruin idle and starting. Air leaks between carb and head also.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #7431
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Cheers
The valve adjustment can affect the idel. I notice a slight need to increase the carb. idel screw as the adjustment time approaches. But not like your talking. Are you sure you got the right side exhaust valve set correctly? This is the one with the auto de-compress cam.
As you rotate the engine and get to TDC you should hear the auto de-comp. cam fall out. Also you can set this valve just past TDC. I use 15 deg ATDC.

PS: also if the engine is high milage, leave a feeler gauge in one valve as you adjust the other. This takes the slack out of the rocker shaft. I noticed that when I set one valve, then set the other, then re-checked the first it was off. Using two gauges and leaving one in the adjusted valve stopped this.
Additionally, try draining the carb. float bowl. There is a screw on the bottom side of the left side of the carb. When you back out the screw it will drain the fuel bowl completely. Drain it then open the petcock and flush some more fuel through.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 07-13-2009 at 03:47 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #7432
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
XR650L Acerbis Tank - New installation pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
Got my Acerbis tank on Friday and I am missing some parts.

I guess this is a common problem. See post #5. I am missing the same parts.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=744910

Since I bought it new on eBay, we'll see if I can get any cooperation with the seller on getting it resolved. I may also try contacting Acerbis directly and ask them if they can send them.

We'll see...
I contacted Acerbis and here is what they said, "The rubber caps are no longer included with the mount. They are not needed and the mount will not rub on the tank so you are good. Let me know if you have any questions mounting the tank, we re-wrote the instructions with some helpful tips to help mount the tank."

He sent me a new version of the install doc. Just the first page so I uploaded it to my website so that others can view and save it.

http://www.AustinGuitarRepair.com/im...ank_XR650L.pdf
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #7433
LostRider
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod

Its OK LostRider we will let you slum with the oil cooled folk!!
It's alright that little punk ass Nasty Rider needs to have some manners taught to him!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #7434
cypert2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypert2
Just bought a XRL about two weeks ago. I am 54 years old and never sat on a bike in my life until I got home with this one. Have put 100 miles on it with no serious mishaps. Rode the first 20 or 30 miles around my pasture. Learning how to turn, shift gears, brake etc. Now have ridden some on pavement and some on gravel. I am 6'5'' and weigh 250 soaking wet. I am riding the bike just like it came from the dealership. Do some of you bigger guys think I should do anything to the suspension? Maybe put in more air? Also, the gravel roads around here are made of washed clay gravel. The pieces of gravel range from egg sized on down. This stuff doesn't pack like crushed limestone. It is always kind of loose. I've probably gone 30 miles on it so far with no spills, but I sure seem like I slide around a lot. Is this just part of it? Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks for all the replies to my above post. Will try to set my sag in the next day or two. That link looked easy enough to follow. As far as the tires go, my bike came with Dunlop K850A front and rear. Thanks for the tip on the Vox riser. I will get one of those. Every sharp turn I have to move my knees over. Also, what little riding I have tried standing up[which hasn't been a whole lot 'cause I'm not totally comfortable sitting down} I feel like the bars are way to low. One a related note, are there any lowered foot pegs you can buy? Or is that a dumb question? On more thing, it seems to me that first gear is to high. Do any of you change your sprockets in any way to go slower in first gear? Or do I just need to learn to slip the clutch better. Thank all of you again.
cypert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #7435
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Anyone?
I don't know if this will help or not Bbasso, but I use an aftermarket clear fuel line with an inside diameter of 5/16 and it fits the stock petcock perfectly with just a pinch clamp holding it one with no leaks. I run an Eddy Pumper carb, and it fits it too ... as for the stock CV carb, I can't say for sure but I'd assume it's the same.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #7436
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
i use 1/4" fuel hose , seems to work just fine, and mine are just zip-tied at both ends , no leaks.
debaisley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #7437
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
One a related note, are there any lowered foot pegs you can buy? Or is that a dumb question?
No dumb questions. We were all noobs once! Well not Wattner.
http://www.pivotpegz.net/
I couldn't find it on pivotpegz website but, this website claims you can lower the height by 10mm.
http://www.motohansa.com.au/pivot_pegz.htm
"Adjustable Height
The height of Pivot Pegz is adjustable on most motorcycles and takes less than 10 minutes allowing you to lower your Pivot Pegz by up to 10mm - but most will find that the factory position is best."

They are darn proud of them!

Quote:
it seems to me that first gear is to high. Do any of you change your sprockets in any way to go slower in first gear? Or do I just need to learn to slip the clutch better. Thank all of you again.
Yes and yes.
Many of us carry a second sprocket. 14/48 combo for my dirt setup. It seems too low unless I am going to be doing nothing but tight woods type riding.
It really depends on what I am doing on the gearing I want.
Though as time goes on I have found I stick with the 15/45 more and more. It allows me to carry more speed in the corners and handles the highway much better. I have learned to slip the clutch more and more.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #7438
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
i use 1/4" fuel hose , seems to work just fine, and mine are just zip-tied at both ends , no leaks.
++ zip-ties. I do the same thing.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #7439
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,878
1/4 inch, thanks!!!
time to order one of those little filters when the 5.8 goes on.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #7440
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
1/4 inch, thanks!!!
time to order one of those little filters when the 5.8 goes on.
Is that 1/4 inch ID or OD?

Like I said, 5/16 ID fits perfectly over the stock petcock.