Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #7546
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod
XR650R is dead, the last year for production was 07.
The 450x is the new desert racer for Honda.
Honda closed the plant here in the US that the XRR was being built in.

I am torn between staying oil cooled and the simplicity that goes with it, Or water cooled and the weight loss that goes with it.

A water cooled engine can be built to tighter tolerances, and tighter timing so it can produce higher horse power. Don't increase the compression, The L can run on horrible gas that is a benefit.

6 speed transmission Would be a huge gain.

At least change second gear back to the second the NX used. Get rid of the huge gear jump between first and second.

Suspension update would be nice. Keep the ground clearance.

Change the frame so the foot pegs can be lowered or raised for the height of a person.

Fuel injection would be a bonus, but the thing about a carb they suck but you can normally make one work even if its is badly; you can limp home.
You loose your fuel pump. I hope you really enjoy that walk in you mx boots while pushing your bike.

Possibly move the battery in to the center of the bike.

loose 50 lbs? Awesome.

I saw a XR650R frame the other day. It got me thinking. They have the oil in the frame just like a L dose. Wonder if you could squeeze the L engine in a R frame, Ktm swing arm, crf forks, add a oil cooler where the radiators go? Hmmm..
I was gonna just let this go, but I can't... Sorry...

The XRL was never built in the USA. The factory that was part of the Marysville, Ohio complex never built that bike. The closest thing ever built here was the Elsinore 250 back in 1979. Since then, Gold Wings were exclusively built here, but also many Shadows, Quads, and even the old Hurricance back in the day. It's a sad day to see production stop at this facility, but it's progress. Motorcycle production is being consolidated to a brand new HUGE facility in Japan where economies of scale will help lower production costs and, HOPEFULLY, allow more bang for everyones buck. And in true Honda style, nobody lost their job over this. Everyone that worked bolting bikes together is either bolting cars together now, or in some cases, decided to take the generous retirement offer Honda made, but nobody was forced to take anything, they had a job if they wanted one.

Now if only I can convince the powers that be in LA that we need a killer dual sport bike and we need it NOW... History lesson over and out...

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #7547
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
So I was looking at the Rox risors and came across the anti-vibration set for $155.00. I was curious are those worth the money or would the regular pivot risors work. Also they said the anti-vibe risors could cause problems with enlarged tanks. I plan on getting the Clarke 4.7 do any of you know if there are any problems with the conbination??? thanks
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #7548
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 242
Acerbis Tank

Has anybody installed the Acerbis tank? I have a clark tank that was on my bike when I bought it. I'm thinking of switching to the acerbis tank. An extra gallon of fuel would be nice.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #7549
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Nasty, I think you should be ok with the clark tank and the Vibe resistant Rox Risers...

Rittner, scroll up a page or three. This has been a hot topic for weeks, plenty to read
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #7550
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Carburetors...
2001 XR650R. Stock
VS
2002 XR650L. With Dave's mods.
Which is better and explain please, I don't know.
thanks.
Thats a very good question.
The XRL carb. is a better choice for average use as the CV feature makes for smooth operation.
If you have time to " dial it in" the R carb may provide better HP.

Note: Daves mods may need tweaked for the exact set up of your bike ( type of exhaust, air cleaner ect.)
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #7551
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrittner
Has anybody installed the Acerbis tank? I have a clark tank that was on my bike when I bought it. I'm thinking of switching to the acerbis tank. An extra gallon of fuel would be nice.
I just did it last night. I was about to add to this write up with a few things I learned.
Look at post #73
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...=744910&page=8
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #7552
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
Thats a very good question.
The XRL carb. is a better choice for average use as the CV feature makes for smooth operation.
If you have time to " dial it in" the R carb may provide better HP.

Note: Daves mods may need tweaked for the exact set up of your bike ( type of exhaust, air cleaner ect.)
Thanks.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #7553
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Carburetors...

2001 XR650R. Stock

VS

2002 XR650L. With Dave's mods.

Which is better and explain please, I don't know.
thanks.
As said, the XRR carb may give better top HP, and there is no question it will have much more instant power when you whack the throttle open.

The XRL carb gives very precise control, and is one of the reasons the XRL is such a great woods/hill tractor.

Sometimes I ride my XRL like a trials bike and the carb is perfect for that, but when I whack it open it makes me a little sad sometimes...

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #7554
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
UPS tracking says my XCMH front and rear tires are in transit for delivery!

Woot!

Not so woot!- my on-the-cheap 300lb capacity team hawg lift (bought as a 'blem) gave up the ghost.

http://www.teamhawgracing.com/trackside_pro.html

I know my XRL is overweight for it by probably 50 lbs, so I can't kvetch too seriously... to mitigate this I was jacking the bike up, then placing a sideways 2x10 on each side of the lift (between the bottom frame and the top moving piece) and lowering it so the wood took the weight. This made it uber-stable.

If you look at the bottom-most pivot where it crosses like an X, it bent and cracked right at the pivot (where all the lifting force is applied)

I've already straightened the arms (took my hydrailuc press to do it, bought it a few months ago to do wheel bearings on my subaru) bought some steel to reinforce it, now I just have to decide:

Braze it?
Gas weld it?
MIG it?

I'm most tempted to gas weld the cracked portion around the pivot, then braze the braces on. If I weld it that will only attach at the leg edge, where as brazing it will attach it all across the touching faces.

The steel I bought is a little wider than the existing leg.

Oh, the bolt that attaches the bottle jack to the scissor bent also, I'll have to replace that with a grade-8 piece.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #7555
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltakus
I have done all the cable cleaning and all That I can do on the beast. And is still tight! And, I have cleaned the clutch out in the case.
Just get a new cable. You will be amazed at how much smother and easier it pulls.

By the way it is my understanding that these cables are Teflon lined, and not supposed to be lubed.

Walter
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #7556
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
You're going to like those tires. I have a set on my XRL now and just passing 2k miles. The double center knob on the rear is worn to about 1/32" from the bottom of the slot. Might get 2500 or 3K, maybe. You'll need to break them in. A little loose and oversteer on pavement until worn in.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #7557
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Couple of Updates... JSCOMPTO, I will look for the coil and get her out to ya...

I just completed the MEFO 150 install on a rim and she fits right in there, no problem. I am certifiably a dumbass, as I installed the tire backwards... All the while installing a Nubliss Tubeliss as well. I nailed it the first time, so I at least have experience. Back to the garage to tear it back out and redo... Ugghhh another 1/2 hour wasted!!!

A few pic's... FWIW I run a 15/45 on the Terra-Flex wheel, and on the MEFO wheel I have a 43, so the wheel is WAY back at 37 on the adjusters. I am afraid that If I take a link out that when I am running the Terra-Flex, I may hit the seat or airbox on heavy G-outs. I like to run the rear wheel as far back as I can with the monster tires.

The old 130 MEFO, alongside the Terra-Flex and the 150 MEFO, prior to install... The 130 looks awefully wimpy!
Photobucket

Pic of the Terra-Flex Clearance
Photobucket

Photo of the girl with the new, backwards MEFO 150, all smiling and happy!!! Damn she's pretty!
Photobucket

Pic of the left clearance:

Photobucket

Right Side:
Photobucket

And a shot of the adjuster all way back....
Photobucket
Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #7558
kamakaziozzy
3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Question thinking of a new bike

I got a 96 XR650L a few months ago.... started thinking about gettin rid of it and getting a brand new bike. looking around at all the bikes out there....KTM 690's, yamaha wr250 sm, kawasaki klr650, DL650 V strom, and a few others. I still come back to the XR. It does everything I want. Might sell my XR and KTM 250 F XC W and get a new XR650L???
kamakaziozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #7559
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Ok got a question for the gallery. I am rebuilding a XR250L motor. the bore is one thousandths of a inch out of spec. So question is slap a new piston, and rings and run the piss out of it? Or Bore it over .025? when I bore it .025 do I need to buy the .025 piston and .025 rings? Or do I just purchase the .025 rings and use a stock pistion? Would the bore being over spec be the reason for scoring on one side of the pistion?
Sorry for the stupid questions.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #7560
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Update... My 30 minute tire swap turned into a bloody finger... Sprockets are sharp!!!! But, it only took 20 minutes!!!! Woohoooo!!!! The Tubeliss system seems really cool and all is fine with the 150 on an 18" rim!

I am changing the oil and getting some front brake pads in the am.... then RIDE!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, forgot the cracked intake... I have a new one here and gotta port it to the head, THEN ride!!!!