Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #7576
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,956
Doughy... I use a tiny hand pump... I have been down the CO2 route and they are a pain. I have had 2 inflator devices fail trailside leaving me stranded.

My next project is to rip the tiny SLIME pump out of it's case and find a place to stash it on the bike with power...
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #7577
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splittincreek
A riding buddy just bought a used XR650L and it has Acerbis frame guards on it (above the foot pegs). Looks like a nice item, any ideas on a part number or supplier? The web site for Acerbis is down "Under Construction". I've checked the usual internet distributors... Dennis Kirk, etc. with no luck.
Thanks.
Search under XR600R and then modify the frame guards to allow for the foot pegs!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #7578
theshmack
Haphazard Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercustoms
Well I found out that the Moose handguards fit.

I'm thinking of making my own plastics out of some leftovers.
Lasercustoms, I too have the Moose brushguards, but I bought some Maier handguards to fit over them. Work really well and have a lot of protection from the wind and brush.

BTW, you can modify the stock handguards to those Moose guards with very little cutting. I did it for a bit and it worked out pretty well.
theshmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #7579
Splittincreek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splittincreek
A riding buddy just bought a used XR650L and it has Acerbis frame guards on it (above the foot pegs). Looks like a nice item, any ideas on a part number or supplier? The web site for Acerbis is down "Under Construction". I've checked the usual internet distributors... Dennis Kirk, etc. with no luck.
Thanks.

I'll try to get some pics next time we ride.......
Splittincreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #7580
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,515
+1 on running Tubeless - that's definitely on my list of up-coming farkles (if I could ever find a round tuit, I'd be set!).

As far as air off road goes, I carry a cheap air compressor that I run off a cig plug that I added to the beast. Actually I have a SAE connector wired to the battery for a battery tender and an SAE to cig plug adapter that I found at wallyworld for $5. The compressor plugs right in and works great.

BTW, I had one of the small slime pumps for a while and took the case off to make it even smaller but, without the case, it really gets banged up when going off road and got pretty much destroyed in one trip. I just suck it up and carry the $15 compressor that I found at Target with the case on it so's not to find a busted compressor when I need it most. Takes up more room but worth it.
ravenranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #7581
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
My 9 year old kid rode 93.7 miles of mixed offroad terrain, some over 10,500 feet on my wife's XR100R today. He said he would like to ride with me and that he could do it. And he did! She lost her privleges to that bike.
It only used 1.07 gallon of gas.
He'll probably want my XRL next.
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #7582
tjschul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Dave's carb mod...still a flat spot

Completed Dave's carb mods and have a few questions for the CV experts.

The bad flat spot I had off idle when I whack the throttle open is ALMOST gone.
In the past I've raised the float level a tad to richen up the off idle response.
Float adjustment is not possible with the XRL carb....so will clipping a coil or two off the slide spring help? Or will further enlarging of the two slide holes yield positive results?

Have opened up air box, aftermarket exhaust, K&N filter.
Current jetting is 150 main, 60 pilot with air screw 1 1/2 open.
(couldn't find a 55 pilot anywhere).

thanks
JS
tjschul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #7583
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
[quote=Wattner]Hey Doughy, lots of reasons I would rather run Tubeless... I have ridden thousands of miles in Mexico, and have had probably 20 flats... 18 on tubed tires and 2 on tubeless. It is a pain in the ass to peel a tire apart on the trail or road, when you can just install a plug and be on your way in minutes....

If I have a gash big enough that a plug won't work, I can take the tire apart and install a patch to the inside of the tire, probably about as easy as fixing a tube.... I have had a nail go in one place on a tire and make 3-4 holes in a tube, on the T-less it would be one hole.

On the two flats I had on tubeless tires I was under way within 5 minutes. I have sat trailside repairin tubes, then getting a pinch, ran out of repair patches, spent hours F'in with it. I just prefer the idea of tubeless....

The tubeless tire is lighter, has less friction than a tube, you can run way low on air without pinching a tube... I think it is actually simpler to take the tubeless tire apart over a tubed, etc, etc....

I don't recall any other reasons now, but I will think of more I am sure.

Sacha Baron Cohen
To each his own. I will certainly report my experience![/quote

Hey Wattner how well does that Tubeliss system work???
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #7584
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad
My 9 year old kid rode 93.7 miles of mixed offroad terrain, some over 10,500 feet on my wife's XR100R today. He said he would like to ride with me and that he could do it. And he did! She lost her privleges to that bike.
That is awesome, your a awesome dad.
When my son gets his MSF course and License. I am going to have to lock My XRL so he wont take it to school. He is almost 16 and he can flat foot my bike.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #7585
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,956
Hey Junkyardroad,

That is frikken' awesome that you can share riding with your son. I have 4 daughters and they just aren't into it. Too much pink and girly girl crap....uugghhhh

I do have my first Grandson now and am awaiting his arrival into the dirtbike world. I can hardly wait! I see many, many, many weekend, weeklong, etc trips completely centered around the twisting of the throttle!

You are an awesome dad and a true inspiration. Enjoy the times, they will be with you forever!!! Great looking kid, I might add! You gotta be proud!!!

Nasty, I am not quite sure if you mean how the system physically works, or how it works as far as an answer to the tube dilemma. I found the whole tire mounting with the system actually easier than a tube. Fast, easy, efficient and that was on a rear 150 MEFO explorer II, which is a VERY tough tire. The sidewall seems every bit as tough to mount as the Terra-Flex, and I got it mounted up pretty quickly. I do install my own Terra-Flex's as well...

So far the system works as advertised with zero problems at all. I carry a mini hand pump with a built in gauge that goes up to 150 psi. for the inner (innertube??? for lack of a better explanation?).

I can see being completely done with tubes for me!!! The $100.00 price tag is a little steep initially (I have 3 dirtbikes with extra wheels for all of them...), so I have experimented with one set and am quite pleased. I will be converting all of them soon. I still will be trying a 17" wheel off of an adventure 1200 GS mounted to a cush rear hub with a TKC-80 tire, but will probably wait until late fall or winter for a Mexico trip to try it out. I am ecstatic at the thought of a knobby that can get 5k (or more) and tubeless as well. While the tread is not quite as aggressive as some knobbies, I think the size will make up for it. I was able to get a little lift in the deep sand on the 1200 GS Adventure, so I can imagine how the 650L or KTM 525 will do. Rock traction was acceptable as well. There is always a tradeoff with anything. I think acceptable performance on the trail combined with long life will take away a lot of the hassle I have had in the past with staging tire changes in Mexico. Shipping tires to a hotel, consulate, bike shop, etc. then getting there and finding there was a problem, settling on a shit tire, etc, etc... If I can make a trip on one set of tires with ok performance, that will be quite fine with me!

I am not sure where I will be going in Mexico, so I don't know if I will try the cush/17" set-up on the 650L or the 525. Baja would be the 525, interior or Copper Canyon would be the "L". Now, I need to find a front tire that will have similar mileage life. Maybe a Metzeler, Pirelli or Dunlop Desert????

Now I have a new quest!!! Front tire! Suggestions appreciated.

RavenRanger, good idea, the extra space is probably not worth tearing up a pump. I was considering relocating the battery to the airbox and making a pump/tool stash spot on the "L" where the battery is now... won't work on the 525 though... Great advice

Wattner screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 08:29 AM
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #7586
Natnewt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy
Can you get us some pics?

Wattner, I guess it's just different thinking for me, but yeah tubeless does seem to make a fair amount of sense. What's needed to do a change over? Ever see those tire balls? But then I guess you can air down... This talk is making me wonder what you guys use for air on the trail. CO2? Hand Pumps? Electric pumps?
for 250 bucks you can put foam inserts for your tires...tubeless
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #7587
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
tubeless

Wattner any comments on improved handling, braking, accel, suspension performance etc? I am seriously thinking this might be my next tweak.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #7588
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnewt
for 250 bucks you can put foam inserts for your tires...tubeless
Yeah but the foam inserts are heat sensitive and don't last very long before degrading.

The tubeless system is so much more elegant.

Hey Wattner - did you use the stock rim lock location and air valve location on the XRL rims or did you drill out a new hole in the suggested location? Assuming you moved it, what did you use to fill the stock rim lock hole?

Now that you have the tubeless system have you thought about experimenting with creating your own? Looks like they're using a high pressure bicycle tube to seal the spoke nipples but it's hard to figure what they're using for the red divider between the high pressure tube and the tire's air chamber.

I've thought about experimenting with putting in a valve stem and sealing the spoke nipples and rim interior with an elastomeric coating similar to some of the new roof coatings as a poor man's tubeless system. Thoughts???

ravenranger screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 09:48 AM
ravenranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #7589
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjschul
Completed Dave's carb mods and have a few questions for the CV experts.

The bad flat spot I had off idle when I whack the throttle open is ALMOST gone.
In the past I've raised the float level a tad to richen up the off idle response.
Float adjustment is not possible with the XRL carb....so will clipping a coil or two off the slide spring help? Or will further enlarging of the two slide holes yield positive results?

Have opened up air box, aftermarket exhaust, K&N filter.
Current jetting is 150 main, 60 pilot with air screw 1 1/2 open.
(couldn't find a 55 pilot anywhere).

thanks
JS
It could be a rich or lean flat spot, It's a pain but I'd try fine-tuning the needle shim washer thickness.

I assume you have a 15x or 160 main jet, not a 150...

If it's a rich flat spot, riding without the airbox cover should help it, if it's a lean spot that'll make it much worse.

When I whack my throttle open I suspect I'm a touch rich, it burbles for a brief moment before pulling but the power doesn't go down and then back up, it just pulls a bit harder, it clears, and then pulls as it should. I tolerate it because for my riding, the control seems good and I'm just too lazy to mess with it.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #7590
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad

I envy you. My boy is 9 as well but he lives with his mom, and she is against it. So much so he doesn't know how to ride a bicycle. ....

I bought him a ZR50 to learn on but I am worried due to his lack of two wheeled experience. Cherish this

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote