I'm relunctantly selling my 07 XR650L over in the Flea Market

Brian
Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #7607
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscompto
I saw that and thought about picking it up myself. If you strip it I would be interested in the engine and/or countershaft if in good shape.

John
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #7608
tjschul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
Try Jetsrus.com they will have the right jets for the xrl. Try 55pilot 160main 2 1/2 turns out fuel mix screw. Order a few larger and smaller jets just in case. Ben

Thanks for the tip on jets are us. Its a little frustrating to visit three dealers
and find I have more jets (wrong carbs) in my tool box than they have to offer.
Doesn't a smaller pilot and more turns out just put me in the same spot?
I though the idea was to get the pilot where you had adjustment on "either side" of the air screw. I have that.

I have a spare spring now, so the clipping coils experiment starts tonight.
I'm on a mission to get this thing to respond like a properly tuned engine should. I can barely get the front wheel to lift and that's unacceptable
for a 165# guy just trying to get used to off road four strokes. (too many years of inhaling bean oil I guess).
tjschul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #7609
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjschul
Thanks for the tip on jets are us. Its a little frustrating to visit three dealers
I though the idea was to get the pilot where you had adjustment on "either side" of the air screw. I have that.

I'm on a mission to get this thing to respond like a properly tuned engine should. I can barely get the front wheel to lift and that's unacceptable
for a 165# guy just trying to get used to off road four strokes. (too many years of inhaling bean oil I guess).
You can improve it, but it will always have less throttle response than a manual-slide carb.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #7610
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy
I'm learning this right now. I can't seem to get mine purrrfect. Lately the issue I have had is that I can't run at an even throttle at lower to mid RPMS. It sputters. It's like I have to have the throttle off or on for it to be smooth.
Ya didn't ditch the airbox for an open element filter, didja?

Dave
Old 07-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #7611
Jager06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Update...

For those of you who remember the 96 mile new 2008 XR650L engine blowup story.....
I talked to the mechanic and he said he didn't know what it would be. I waited a week and my buddy called to tell me they had found the problem. It seems that the 2008 models of a certain serial number group did not get a proper check out at the factory. There was a kinked oil output line from the pump.
This has resulted in a few blown motors, including my friends.

The solution seems to be waiting on the Honda rep to determine how much they are going to back their product. Initially they offered to rebuild the top end for him. I told him to jump up and down until he at least gets a new crate motor installed. Gratis of course. It only seems fair to replace an entire motor when it hasn't gotten any oil flow since start up. It isn't just the top end that has been damaged in my opinion. The top end is what happened to fail first, but the damage will be in the entire motor.

I will let you know if he gets any traction.

Let me know if I am missing something on this, or if you have any GFI's (Great F$*#ing Ideas)
~Exhaust uncorked
~vanpelt model 999 Oil Cooler
Jager06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #7612
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,401
Blown Motor

Yeah I too would want a NEW engine. But if Honda only wants to rebuild the bad engine then I would request/ demand a factory extended warranty.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project

mcma111 screwed with this post 07-21-2009 at 03:15 PM
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #7613
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,136
Does anyone have contact info on said rep? I think most, if not all of us here would bang out an email and assist in the cause....

I have had well over 35 Hondas and would be glad to voice an opinion!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #7614
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer: 624
blown engine

anything less than a completely new, crated motor would not be acceptable.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #7615
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjschul

Remember on this carb its a fuel screw not a air screw. Try it at 55/160 2 1/2 turns out. If you have mods you say you do. This should but real close to a good running bike. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #7616
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager06
For those of you who remember the 96 mile new 2008 XR650L engine blowup story.....
I talked to the mechanic and he said he didn't know what it would be. I waited a week and my buddy called to tell me they had found the problem. It seems that the 2008 models of a certain serial number group did not get a proper check out at the factory. There was a kinked oil output line from the pump.
This has resulted in a few blown motors, including my friends.

The solution seems to be waiting on the Honda rep to determine how much they are going to back their product. Initially they offered to rebuild the top end for him. I told him to jump up and down until he at least gets a new crate motor installed. Gratis of course. It only seems fair to replace an entire motor when it hasn't gotten any oil flow since start up. It isn't just the top end that has been damaged in my opinion. The top end is what happened to fail first, but the damage will be in the entire motor.

I will let you know if he gets any traction.

Let me know if I am missing something on this, or if you have any GFI's (Great F$*#ing Ideas)
For an engine that's been oil starved, it's gotta be a new engine.

An XRL is made to last a fair number of miles, would suck to have to replace the trans or such at 10,000 miles because it got no oil during break-in (that's a key point, this happened during break-in, parts are going to be scuffed or overheated).

It's 'nice' to hear the factory guys find it as easy as us yokels to kink the oil lines- haven't touched 'em myself yet but I hear you have to be very careful about that.

Dave
Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #7617
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave
Ya didn't ditch the airbox for an open element filter, didja?

Dave

NOPE.... I have an airbox. The only thing I have done is.....

I took a stock filter and cut all the paper off it to creat a "FRAME" then I put a Twin Air filter over said frame.. The stock filter has that metal mesh inside it, and then with the twin filter should be adequete. RIght?!?!

I can't seem to figure it out. I'm going to pull the carb apart this week, but don't know what I am looking for. It's "daves modded" (of course). I just can't figure out the flat sputtering spot. I do find myself constantly adjusting my idle if that helps with any ideas.

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #7618
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,136
Hey Doughy... I just installed a fresh motor and have had FITS with the new pumper carb. Turns out the manifold had a crack in it, causing popping and sporadic idle. I installed a new manifold and it has ALMOST gone away..
Try spraying starter fluid very gently around the intake at idle and see if you get a variation in idle speed. If so, you may have the same situation

Hope this helps!!!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #7619
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Hey Doughy... I just installed a fresh motor and have had FITS with the new pumper carb. Turns out the manifold had a crack in it, causing popping and sporadic idle. I installed a new manifold and it has ALMOST gone away..
Try spraying starter fluid very gently around the intake at idle and see if you get a variation in idle speed. If so, you may have the same situation

Hope this helps!!!

I'll try this, but should I have a craked intake on a 2008? I do have some good milage, 18500ks.... But I'll try anything. It would be nice to be running right again.

Thank you

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #7620
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshmack
Lasercustoms, I too have the Moose brushguards, but I bought some Maier handguards to fit over them. Work really well and have a lot of protection from the wind and brush.

BTW, you can modify the stock handguards to those Moose guards with very little cutting. I did it for a bit and it worked out pretty well.
Thanks !! I was wandering if the Maier guards would work (I like those ). I can see how they would help in Alaska. I though about putting the stock ones over the bars but I don't wont to cut them up. I got plenty of other plastic to cut up first .
Thanks