ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #751
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kawasaki
The Supertrapp exhaust is freaking loud but for some reason I really like it.
Or you could take out some plates. But loud pipes may save your life.
__________________
"We hang around people who think these activities are normal."
"Me and gravity, we are really, really good friends." - Streetbike Tommy, Nitro Circus
"I'm a dude in his mid-40s, who acts likes he's in his 20's. But I don't plan on stopping any time soon." - Ken Block
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #752
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
I do not check it overnight. Why? It will drain into the motor. It's not the correct method. Don't do it, it will give "wrong" readings. Why are you worried about wrong readings from the wrong method? Don't overcomplicate it.
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

No I am not checking for the oil level after overnight ("wrong method"). I was making some observations that how quickly it drains back. There is a check valve and if the oil level drops significantly after sitting overnight then there could be a problem with the check valve or pump assembly. I read that somewhere on one of the forums and was asking if you guys could also check that on your bikes and I could compare your results with mine to determine if there is something wrong since it is still under warranty.

Thanks again for your help.

--
Sincerely,
S. A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #753
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
I am getting a little confused. You said you had power wheelies in first (is this bad?). Putting a 14 countersprocket will make all the gears lower. It should wheelie more. For dirt, you want to lower the gears, so don't worry about wheelies. Shift points are irrelevant, just ride the gear that feels best at the time. I shift at 15, 30, 40, and 50, or can run at 45 in 5th if it is level and I'm lazy. Honda's manual recommends even lower shift points. It can run low RPM's, let that torque work for you.

Sorry for the confusion! Yes I could power wheelie sometimes in the first gear. I guess it is not easy to lift the front wheele with my weight (6'-6", 250 lbs). I am looking forward to an improved wheelies performance after changing the front to 14-tooth, but at the same time don't want to loose the street performance.

I could never use the owner manuals shift points without lugging. I am not sure how could they reccomend those.

Nice pictures, by the way. I like the idea of toolbag on the front fender. Would like to get that!

Thanks again for your help.

--
Sincerely,
S. A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #754
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,211
I would like to thank all of you that have offered assistance to us newbies. It really helps us out. With that being said, OH MY GOD!!!!! I took my brand new XR out and had a blast! I can't believe how much fun this thing is! Since I'm new at motorcycling I was having a bit of the newbie jitters getting off the line at a light, then low and behold right as I go past the friction zone and start to get into the gas, the guy behind me honked.....so I accidentally did a wheelie accross the intersection. It scared the hell out of me, but after I did it I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day. I'm 5'10" and I weigh about 225, I couldn't believe how easy this bike could wheelie with me on it after reading through some peoples posts. I have had a problem with bogging when I start but I think that's more me than the bike. Thanks again guys, you've helped me out a lot.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #755
lewismedlock
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
I would like to thank all of you that have offered assistance to us newbies. It really helps us out. With that being said, OH MY GOD!!!!! I took my brand new XR out and had a blast! I can't believe how much fun this thing is! Since I'm new at motorcycling I was having a bit of the newbie jitters getting off the line at a light, then low and behold right as I go past the friction zone and start to get into the gas, the guy behind me honked.....so I accidentally did a wheelie accross the intersection. It scared the hell out of me, but after I did it I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day. I'm 5'10" and I weigh about 225, I couldn't believe how easy this bike could wheelie with me on it after reading through some peoples posts. I have had a problem with bogging when I start but I think that's more me than the bike. Thanks again guys, you've helped me out a lot.
Where I live, a wheelie will cost you a minimum of $75. And that's from a cop who rides and said "I do wheelies too, but not in front of other officers. I'll call this inatentive driving." By this time we were getting along pretty well and I said. "How can you do a wheelie through 2 gears and be inatentive." He said "it's the cheapest ticket I can write you". ...... I try not to do things like this, but it was early on a Saturday morning, and there was only one car on the road, way behind me (the cop).
__________________

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #756
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
I would like to thank all of you that have offered assistance to us newbies. It really helps us out. With that being said, OH MY GOD!!!!! I took my brand new XR out and had a blast! I can't believe how much fun this thing is! Since I'm new at motorcycling I was having a bit of the newbie jitters getting off the line at a light, then low and behold right as I go past the friction zone and start to get into the gas, the guy behind me honked.....so I accidentally did a wheelie accross the intersection. It scared the hell out of me, but after I did it I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day. I'm 5'10" and I weigh about 225, I couldn't believe how easy this bike could wheelie with me on it after reading through some peoples posts. I have had a problem with bogging when I start but I think that's more me than the bike. Thanks again guys, you've helped me out a lot.
Barron,

PLEASE be extremely careful. Take it from the guy who has ridden for almost 30 yrs. and probably have done every conceivable trick/stunt.... Bike riding is a lot of fun, but it can get very ugly too... and I am not talking about a ticket!!!

I still like to do wheelies, but always when I am on dirt or race track. Welcome to the most thrilling sport (IMHO)... Have fun... enjoy your new bike, but PLEASE be very very careful.

Most importantly familarize yourself with your bike and work on improving your control and riding in general. Try these things once you have gained enough experience (not just confidence).

Sorry for a long lecture but I can relate to this... when I was new I did something like this and it gave me a lot of false confidence.... but for a very short period!

--
Sincerely,
Shair A. Khan

Shair_Khan screwed with this post 06-11-2006 at 09:01 PM
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #757
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,211
Don't get me wrong, doing a wheelie isn't something I plan on doing again any time soon, I was just saying that when it happened it was an awesome scary AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH feeling. It reminded me of the first time I jumed my mountain bike off of a 10 foot drop. After the "event" was over I was happy to have survived. It was fun, but it put me in my place and reminded me that I was not yet at that level. I agree that I need LOTS more time just working on bike handling skills and the very basics, that's why I carry a stick of chalk and about half a dozen cut in half tennis balls and replicate the MSF courses in parking lots at night or early morning. Those drills are a lot of fun and they are great for building skills. In a few hours I am going to go change my oil for the first time, so that should be fun, messy, but fun.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:45 AM   #758
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus
 
Mr Kawasaki's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Oddometer: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
.....so I accidentally did a wheelie accross the intersection. It scared the hell out of me, but after I did it I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day.
The clutch lever is your friend.
__________________
It wouldn't worry us so much about what other people think of us if we knew how seldom they do.
Mr Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #759
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kawasaki
The clutch lever is your friend.
I know, we don't get along so great just yet, but we're working on it .
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #760
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,211
How long should it take for an XR to warm up? Idling time and/or riding time answers would be great.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #761
goblin
pig rider
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
How long should it take for an XR to warm up? Idling time and/or riding time answers would be great.
Depends on how warm it is out side. My bike is running proper in about 15min.ridding. It doesn't run perfect untill it's good and warmed up.
__________________
XRL rider western mass.
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #762
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin
Depends on how warm it is out side. My bike is running proper in about 15min.ridding. It doesn't run perfect untill it's good and warmed up.
Thanks Goblin, that's about how long it takes mine to get to where it won't bog and/or stall (some of that is my inexperience) at lights or idle rough. I'm still working on handling the choke correctly too.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #763
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,211
How much oil?

How much oil does your XR take?

Back a few posts, murgatroid42 said that the XR takes 2.06 quarts, like the owners manual says. My question may have some effect on Shair Kahn's problem. I did what the manual says to change the oil and the filter, and I put in 2 quarts- before I ran the bike at all. After I rode it for about 5 or 6 minutes I came, home shut it down, waited a minute and I cheched the oil with the bike vertical. There was no oil on the dipstick. So I put in a 1/4 of a quart, let it idle for about a minute and checked it again. It was just above the hole for the low level mark, so I added more oil for a total of 2 3/4 quarts of oil. I let it idle again for about 5 minutes, shut it down and checked it- it was about 3/4 of the way to the upper level of the dipstick, so I put in more oil for a total of 3 quarts and now after idling it for a while, it's at the upper hole.

Now the manual(owners not service(I have one of those on the way though))says to put in 2.06 when you change the oild & filter, let it idle then add oil to bring it up to the upper level on the dipstick. In MANY places I have seen people say that the XR takes 2.06 but I just put in 3 and the dipstick says that was just enough. Is an XR taking 3 quarts normal?
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #764
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*
 
winterhk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
How much oil does your XR take?

Back a few posts, murgatroid42 said that the XR takes 2.06 quarts, like the owners manual says. My question may have some effect on Shair Kahn's problem. I did what the manual says to change the oil and the filter, and I put in 2 quarts- before I ran the bike at all. After I rode it for about 5 or 6 minutes I came, home shut it down, waited a minute and I cheched the oil with the bike vertical. There was no oil on the dipstick. So I put in a 1/4 of a quart, let it idle for about a minute and checked it again. It was just above the hole for the low level mark, so I added more oil for a total of 2 3/4 quarts of oil. I let it idle again for about 5 minutes, shut it down and checked it- it was about 3/4 of the way to the upper level of the dipstick, so I put in more oil for a total of 3 quarts and now after idling it for a while, it's at the upper hole.

Now the manual(owners not service(I have one of those on the way though))says to put in 2.06 when you change the oild & filter, let it idle then add oil to bring it up to the upper level on the dipstick. In MANY places I have seen people say that the XR takes 2.06 but I just put in 3 and the dipstick says that was just enough. Is an XR taking 3 quarts normal?
I think it takes 2.06 quarts. I just fill it with 2+ quarts, ride it for another 500 miles, then change it again. These are not Ferraris.
__________________
It's one thing to tempt Fate, and another thing entirely to spill its drink and step on its blue suede shoes.
winterhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #765
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
How much oil does your XR take?

Back a few posts, murgatroid42 said that the XR takes 2.06 quarts, like the owners manual says. My question may have some effect on Shair Kahn's problem. I did what the manual says to change the oil and the filter, and I put in 2 quarts- before I ran the bike at all. After I rode it for about 5 or 6 minutes I came, home shut it down, waited a minute and I cheched the oil with the bike vertical. There was no oil on the dipstick. So I put in a 1/4 of a quart, let it idle for about a minute and checked it again. It was just above the hole for the low level mark, so I added more oil for a total of 2 3/4 quarts of oil. I let it idle again for about 5 minutes, shut it down and checked it- it was about 3/4 of the way to the upper level of the dipstick, so I put in more oil for a total of 3 quarts and now after idling it for a while, it's at the upper hole.

Now the manual(owners not service(I have one of those on the way though))says to put in 2.06 when you change the oild & filter, let it idle then add oil to bring it up to the upper level on the dipstick. In MANY places I have seen people say that the XR takes 2.06 but I just put in 3 and the dipstick says that was just enough. Is an XR taking 3 quarts normal?
I put almost 3 in mine last time I changed it. The last ride I was on was mellow, I'm sure if I had been wringing it out for mile after mile it would have puked some out eventually.
I don't have my crankcase vent running to the airbox anymore, I have a K&N vent but haven't found a good place for it to fit. I just use a 1/2" NPT sintered bronze muffler, like goes on a pneumatic control valve for a crankcase vent filter.
I just put in whatever oil it wants according to the dipstick and checking the level the same way you do.
There was a discussion on another site on how much oil it takes, most guys said around 2.4 to 2.5 qts. to get it to read right on the dipstick. Your results may vary.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014