Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #7636
Dieselfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_vulcan
The stage 1 kit wont make the bike run lean?
I don't know about the Stage 1 kit, I run 55/158 jets with Dave's mods, open airbox, Uni-filter and a stock pipe with no problems at all. I was advised to go to a 160 main if I put a pipe on it, but that ain't gonna happen now....... off to Bergsville.

A Berg in the bush is worth two in the shed.
Dieselfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #7637
Natnewt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
what are you coating your uni in?
also why are you still here traitor go ride your berg :P
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #7638
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 242
Not burning as much oil

Just thought I'd share. After reading several posts I decided to install an xr250 oil cooler to lower my engine temp. I got one off ebay for $30 and installed. Instead of trying to find all the right tubing and connectors I just got some tubing from Big A and "spliced" the cooler in. After that I'm running about 10 to 15 degrees cooler and it takes longer for the bike to warm up. Then I changed my oil to synthetic and that seemed to help also, maybe 5 degrees cooler. Since I went to synthetic the bike shifts better and I'm not using as much oil (used to use around 3-4 oz per tank / 200mi)

So thanks to all the postings and ideas from all the XRL ADVers that have shared thier experiance with doing these mods.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #7639
Dieselfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnewt
what are you coating your uni in?
also why are you still here traitor go ride your berg :P
I'm still here just to help you guys out.....LOL. I just use any good quality foam filter oil and filter cleaner. FYI....I'll be on the Berg this aft.

A Berg in the bush is worth two in the shed.
Dieselfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #7640
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Gripper seat cover

So I got this sweet black seet cover off ebay. So I pulled my seat, got my staple gun, screwdriver, pliers and the hair dryer. Removed the stock seat cover and started to put on the new one... First problem, my staples are too long, I can feel them on the other side of the seat so I go get some shorter ones. When I get back I can see that the cover was a bit too tight and is starting to rip. So I quickly pull those out, not too much damage but I'm not happy. I go to put the short staples in and guess what, they don't fit. So now I take the thingy (technical term) out of the front of the stapler that won't let the new staples fit and file it down a bit. While I'm putting the thingy back into the front of the staple gun it broke. So I went back to the store got the right staples for my new staple gun, put the seat and the seat cover out in the sun to heat up and opened up a Guinness.

If I get the cover on the seat- not like I have a choice- I'll post pics so you can see the fruits of my efforts.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #7641
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
wanna really mess with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
So I got this sweet black seet cover off ebay. If I get the cover on the seat- not like I have a choice- I'll post pics so you can see the fruits of my efforts.

-Barron
While you are in there you could really change it up. Here is what I did to mine. It made it much more tolerable. A steamer is the trick. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5675

John
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #7642
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
While you are in there you could really change it up. Here is what I did to mine. It made it much more tolerable. A steamer is the trick. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5675

John
That post you made was awesome, I was amazed at how well your seat came out, my problem is that my XRL is my primary means of transportation unless I want to strand the waife at home, so time is not a luxury that I have. I'll get it on one way or another. By the way it's back in the sun, that seemed to help quite a bit.

-Barron
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #7643
neo_vulcan
New Argonaut

Oddometer: 23
Kinda didnt answer my question : )

Quote:
Hi guys, I just did a upgrade to my bike. I installed FMF(Dynojet) Stage 1 jets, Q4 FMF exhaust, and UNI foam filter. I installed a 160 jet and left the pilot jet as is. I have the mixture screw at 2-3/4 turns out and it runs pretty good, at 2000ft. I am stuck slighlty though. The stage 1 kit is recommended for unmodified airboxes but dave's carb mods instructs you to cut the airbox. So do I modify the air box at all or leave it as is?
Quote:

Garaged Bikes
1982 Honda CB450T Hawk
1986 Honda Z50R Special
2003 Honda CR85RE
2005 Honda CR125R
2007 Honda XR650L
2008 Honda CRF230L
neo_vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #7644
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
No.. Your bike is lean as it is (stock) any Jet kit you use will richen it up But if you don't pull off that silly snorkel you can make it to rich.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #7645
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Nice Diesel!!! I am looking to put a Berg in my stable. I would like a 2010 FE570. I'll keep the "L" though for the long distance stuff!

Enjoy and check in and let us know how the new bike is fairing for you.
Had a buddy tell me about his Berg 570 test ride, crazy amounts of power. He's one of the best riders I've ever seen and it scared him.

You really know your stuff and I always enjoy your posts, all signal, very little noise.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #7646
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

My Bike

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Here's my ride. I FINALLY got the seat cover on. Yeah right I took it to an auto upholstery place and paid 30 bucks to have it done right. I've got a few mods done, lowering link, Clarke 4.7 tank, eddy pumper carb, moved the battery, pulled the snorkel and stuff, K&N pod filter with an outerwears cover, skid plate, LED tail light and rear blinkers, electronic relay to go with those blinkers, Maier stock front black fender cut down, maier rear fender with part of the original fender under it to protect the LED wires and I grinded the welds on the headers too. I like it a lot Fastway F.I.T. handguards are next, the stockers have outlived their welcome.

I would also like to take this time to thank the countless posts on this site and emails that some of you have sent me that helped me get my XR where it is now. You guys rock!

-Barron

Barron screwed with this post 07-22-2009 at 07:00 PM
Old 07-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #7647
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Wow, Nice Barron.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #7648
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,870
Barron,

Your chain looks a little LOOSE

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #7649
2 is better than 4
Calculated risk takr

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
The older XL600LM sold in Europe had tubless rims. The rim had a raised ridge where our spokes go and it was drilled for the spokes. Not sure they could be fitted to our hubs or not? The rear is a 17" rim also.

These 600's had the spokes "backwards" where the head hooked on the rim lip and the nipple is on the hub kind of weird looking to me but definitly not the same hub or addaptable to the 650l hubs besides you dont want a 17" wheel. Those 600's were a bit unique in that they also had electric start and kick start and a desecent size tank, I belive they proceded the transalp. I shure enjoyed my '86 xl600r they have a shorter stroke than a xr600 they'll rev to the moon and were rated at 44hp (the same as a ktm 525exc btw) as compared to a breathed on 650l that makes 35hp and sings off way earlier. If i ever come across another '86 (Love that red white and blue like the one pictured above) in good cond for a resonable $ I think it shure would make a good super moto, the shock is crap offroad and they sit relativily low to begin with so I think it'd be a fun route to take!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #7650
2 is better than 4
Calculated risk takr

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Yeah I too would want a NEW engine. But if Honda only wants to rebuild the bad engine then I would request/ demand a factory extended warranty.
Yea except the only problem with that is that the rest of that motor will last forever under normal circumstances, so If it has sustained "some" damage it would more than likely outlive the extended warranty just have a shortened life. My '96 that I sold my buddy with 28k miles is still runing strong and I would say that I subjected it to some extreme conditions fairly regulary. I'd want a new motor as well you dont buy a new bike expecting to get a rebuilt motor!