Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #7651
2 is better than 4
Calculated risk takr

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfool
From this......

To this......
Thats a step in the right direction now you can actualy "ride" off road!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #7652
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 is better than 4
Yeah ... and he'll actually have to do much more frequent maintenance and rebuilds .... six of one, and a half dozen of the other.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #7653
2 is better than 4
Calculated risk takr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
Yeah ... and he'll actually have to do much more frequent maintenance and rebuilds .... six of one, and a half dozen of the other.
Probaly should of kept the 650l for dual sporting and use the burg for off roading. A 650 shure is a good place to throw those too worn to use off road tires and for $50 a year to insure its hard to beat for cheap transportation with free tires!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #7654
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Yea except the only problem with that is that the rest of that motor will last forever under normal circumstances, so If it has sustained "some" damage it would more than likely outlive the extended warranty just have a shortened life. My '96 that I sold my buddy with 28k miles is still runing strong and I would say that I subjected it to some extreme conditions fairly regulary. I'd want a new motor as well you dont buy a new bike expecting to get a rebuilt motor!
I agree. You have to press HARD sometimes to get situations like this resolved successfully. Chances are you can at least force them into mediation. Get loud and get righteous and do not compromise or quit. Tell the BBB and everyone you know how that dealer worked for you. Not sure how Honda works, but domestic auto dealers can really go to bat for a customer, or be a hero to the mfr. and screw the customer.

You do not need a lawyer either. Go to the library and look at your state statutes under non-comnformity to warranty. Learn what protections the laws in your state provide consumers and what order you need to proceed.

Unfortunately, a rebuilt motor may be all you can get legally. Also don't trust them if they say you can have a "new" motor. Demand proof is isn't a reman.

Best of luck.
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #7655
2 is better than 4
Calculated risk takr

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_vulcan
Hi guys, I just did a upgrade to my bike. I installed FMF(Dynojet) Stage 1 jets, Q4 FMF exhaust, and UNI foam filter. I installed a 160 jet and left the pilot jet as is. I have the mixture screw at 2-3/4 turns out and it runs pretty good, at 2000ft. I am stuck slighlty though. The stage 1 kit is recommended for unmodified airboxes but dave's carb mods instructs you to cut the airbox. So do I modify the air box at all or leave it as is?
I wasnt 100% happy with the dyno jet kit the botom and mid were stronger but the top felt down to me from what I've read everyone's been pretty pleased with daves mod so If I were to do it again I'd follow dave mod to the letter its totaly different than a dyno jet kit. O YEA CAN THE SNORKEL!!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #7656
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Nice ride! Two Mad Max thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
Here's my ride. I FINALLY got the seat cover on. Yeah right I took it to an auto upholstery place and paid 30 bucks to have it done right. I've got a few mods done, lowering link, Clarke 4.7 tank, eddy pumper carb, moved the battery, pulled the snorkel and stuff, K&N pod filter with an outerwears cover, skid plate, LED tail light and rear blinkers, electronic relay to go with those blinkers, Maier stock front black fender cut down, maier rear fender with part of the original fender under it to protect the LED wires and I grinded the welds on the headers too. I like it a lot Fastway F.I.T. handguards are next, the stockers have outlived their welcome.

I would also like to take this time to thank the countless posts on this site and emails that some of you have sent me that helped me get my XR where it is now. You guys rock!

-Barron
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 AM   #7657
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Here's my ride. I FINALLY got the seat cover on.
-Barron
Sweet in a Mad Max kinda way! I wish I could afford to have two of em. One would be SM and one dirt. None of my business but that chain looks a little loose.

John
Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 AM   #7658
AceThumperPilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
How many miles does your XRL have and have you had to rebuild her. I have just over 36,000 on my 06 and she is getting rebuilt today. Once I had the cam chain done she only last 1500 miles before she just stopped. Just curious how many miles everyone has before rebuilt.
AceThumperPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:39 AM   #7659
Dieselfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
And that I did. Took her out yesterday and WOW!!!!!! What a difference, like a mini-van to a Corvette. But I gotta tell ya, after 2hrs. I sure did miss that comfy couch seat on XRL. I rode about 20kms of single tract and some fast double and my my body could sure feel the difference in weight. I think I could get used to this........LOL.

A Berg in the bush is worth two in the shed.
Dieselfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #7660
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I believe that the L engine is a +40k mile engine if you don't let it set for years on end or swim it.
My brother bought a 97 L in 2004 with 1800 miles on it. He is rebuilding the top end this weekend because the valve seals were toast.
I rebuilt my 2003 in February because of a swimming accident and bent two valves.
Both of our bikes have 20k miles on them.

What caused you to change the cam chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceThumperPilot
How many miles does your XRL have and have you had to rebuild her. I have just over 36,000 on my 06 and she is getting rebuilt today. Once I had the cam chain done she only last 1500 miles before she just stopped. Just curious how many miles everyone has before rebuilt.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #7661
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,137
Edelbrock Carb MPG

After going through three tanks of gas, I am averaging 42 MPG. Most of that is highway, and I ride my bike like I stole it.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #7662
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
and I ride my bike like I stole it.

-Barron
Is there any other way to ride the XRL?? My buddies keeping on asking me if my speedo is broken...

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #7663
Carphunter
n00b rash

Oddometer: 81
Guess I get to chime in... I now own a BRP
Carphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #7664
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,118
Quote:
Probaly should of kept the 650l for dual sporting and use the burg for off roading. A 650 shure is a good place to throw those too worn to use off road tires and for $50 a year to insure its hard to beat for cheap transportation with free tires!
Not exactly, He should have kept the XRL so he would have something to ride while waiting on parts for the Burg.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #7665
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
Is there any other way to ride the XRL?? My buddies keeping on asking me if my speedo is broken...

Cumbacheech
That's great! I get the same question all the time too, people say I must have cut the cable when I was cutting the hell out of my bike!

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote