Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #7726
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Hey !

If you have the XR's Only engine drain plug watch out, Mine broke off in the motor. I did not over tighten it!!! Looks like it was a manufactor's default.

I'll get some pictures up after I talk with XR's Only on Monday.
I had one do the same for me when I tried to torque it to OEM spec at initial install. XRs replaced it no questions asked. I did not torque the 2nd one to spec, just "tight".

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #7727
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
Mine went in fine for the first time, this was the second time I touched it and poof! Luckily I was at home and not far far away :eek:

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #7728
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,066
That low quality aluminum can in no way take the torque of the low quality mild steel that Honda uses.... Tighten till snug plus a "red" one more!!!!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #7729
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercustoms
On the funnier side of things: While I was putting on my hand guards I had the kickstand on a rock to make the bike stand more up right. As I was checking the placement of the clutch lever I decided to see if the brake lever matched. When I leaned over to look.....Timber!!! and over we went .
If your going to do work on your bike get a good stand....5 gallon buckets don't hold up.
What?... No pictures?... It's only funny cus I did something very similar with my XR600R years ago out on the trail. Was trying to pull a stick out from between the head and frame while leaned over the seat. At least I ended up on top of the bike and not the other way round...

Old 07-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #7730
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
That low quality aluminum can in no way take the torque of the low quality mild steel that Honda uses.... Tighten till snug plus a "red" one more!!!!
You a metalurgist?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #7731
Bbasso
my name is Rob

With all this talk about how to modify a front fender to allow more air to the motor, preventing aero headaches with headshake while still keeping the mud and stuff off... Has anyone bought and used the Acerbis Supermoto EVO Front Fender on their XRL?
Seems like $40 is a good deal if it works.

Bbasso screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 05:13 PM
Old 07-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #7732
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
Hey gents, would someone be willing to post an overhead pic of how close the stock turn signal is to the Clarke gas tank when it is fully turned? The Acerbis is really close even when it's moved to the top bolt!!
I have an IMS 4 gallon tank and did not move the signals. I could not get a view from the top because of the barkbuster mounts.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #7733
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,265
For those that wanted to know, a while back, about the flash rate with LED turn signals and the NAPA EP37 flasher here is a short video.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...IM000223-1.flv

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #7734
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,269
Dead stopping

After taking the MSF sport bike rider course I got a lot better at stopping. My question is: Do any of you guys shut your bikes off by stopping too hard?

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #7735
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Actually that happened once so far... On the side of the road to take a pic I stopped really hard just because
(safely in a safe area)
Is that a good thing?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #7736
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,066
Not a metallurgist per say, I did grow up in a machine shop and I am staying at a Holiday Inn Express as I type this. That means I know what the flock I am plucking doesn't it?

Or does my elbow need more hair gel???? I am very confused...
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #7737
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,269
Dead stopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Actually that happened once so far... On the side of the road to take a pic I stopped really hard just because
(safely in a safe area)
Is that a good thing?
I guess it's good to be able to stop really quick without dropping your bike, but what if you had to stop really fast to avoid a car slamming on it's brakes? Then just as you you stop you look in your rear view and see a car skidding towards you so you down shift, hit the throttle, dump the clutch and go no where because your bike's off.

That would not be good.

I guess that's just another reason to be ATGATT and always aware of surroundings.

Thanks for the reply Bbasso, I was about to start trying to figure out if my carb was messed up, fuel filter clogged, fuel line getting kinked, tank loose......

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #7738
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
After taking the MSF sport bike rider course I got a lot better at stopping. My question is: Do any of you guys shut your bikes off by stopping too hard?

-Barron
You are locking the rear wheel up, and stalling the bike. Either use threshold braking, or pull in the clutch when stopping quickly just before the bike is stopped (I try to threshold brake, but I will often pull in the clutch). Yes, one loses engine braking when the clutch is in, but engine braking does not decrease stopping distance much in a panic stop when using the brakes to the fullest. (Before I get flamed, I was told at a Skip Barber Formula Ford driving school that "the brakes stop the car, not the engine".)
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #7739
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
I guess it's good to be able to stop really quick without dropping your bike, but what if you had to stop really fast to avoid a car slamming on it's brakes? Then just as you you stop you look in your rear view and see a car skidding towards you so you down shift, hit the throttle, dump the clutch and go no where because your bike's off.

That would not be good.

I guess that's just another reason to be ATGATT and always aware of surroundings.

Thanks for the reply Bbasso, I was about to start trying to figure out if my carb was messed up, fuel filter clogged, fuel line getting kinked, tank loose......

-Barron
You might still want to do those checks. Mine has never shut itself off in a panic stop situation.

Walter
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #7740
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
Why even use the rear brake?!?

PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote