Or good stuff?
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #7742
flak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l
You might still want to do those checks. Mine has never shut itself off in a panic stop situation.

Walter
agreed

I've locked my rear up in a panic stop situation on the highway and gone into a long controlled slide (clutch in as well)

but the bike was still running normally and ready to pull me through the incident once I swerved around the obstacle

even during sudden stops my bike remains running, dropping it in the dirt is about the only thing that kills it sometimes
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #7743
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I would have to say the blowin the horn was the best
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #7744
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
Dead stopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
You are locking the rear wheel up, and stalling the bike. Either use threshold braking, or pull in the clutch when stopping quickly just before the bike is stopped (I try to threshold brake, but I will often pull in the clutch). Yes, one loses engine braking when the clutch is in, but engine braking does not decrease stopping distance much in a panic stop when using the brakes to the fullest. (Before I get flamed, I was told at a Skip Barber Formula Ford driving school that "the brakes stop the car, not the engine".)
Murgatroid42,

I guess I should have said in the first post I'm not locking the wheel (which would always kill the bike if you're in gear), I've got the clutch all the way in sorry for the confusion. I agree though, a panic stop is not the time to use engine braking. My best guess for what is killing the bike is all the forward momentum not allowing the gas to flow to the carb because when this happens the bike chokes off like it's out of gas, but it will start right back up with no issues. I asked a guy on my ship about this a couple days ago and he was able to do it on his SM Husqy.

Thanks for all the replies.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #7745
Skimo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
Murgatroid42,

I guess I should have said in the first post I'm not locking the wheel (which would always kill the bike if you're in gear), I've got the clutch all the way in sorry for the confusion. I agree though, a panic stop is not the time to use engine braking. My best guess for what is killing the bike is all the forward momentum not allowing the gas to flow to the carb because when this happens the bike chokes off like it's out of gas, but it will start right back up with no issues. I asked a guy on my ship about this a couple days ago and he was able to do it on his SM Husqy.

-Barron
idle might be set to low
Skimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #7746
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
Murgatroid42,

-Barron
It's possible the slosh baffle is not present, allowing gas to slosh around in the carb more than it should.

There's enough gas in the carb to keep it idling for quite some time, so I would suspect gas slosh in the carb rather than starvation.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #7747
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak
i have been using the same tube for the last 8 rear tires.its a super thick hd tube though.it would be better to replace every time but im cheap.
Just changed my rear tire to the XCMH (can't wait to try it), I was surprised at how deep the grooves were in the rear tube from the ribs inside the tire. Deep enough I'm glad it was HD, and deep enough I wouldn't want to re-use it.

If I used an easy to change rear tire I might not worry so much- every rear I've used has been stiff as heck and I can't imagine doing a trailside repair.

The XCMH is a little less stiff than a 130 series MT21, but still pretty stiff.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #7748
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
With all this talk about how to modify a front fender to allow more air to the motor, preventing aero headaches with headshake while still keeping the mud and stuff off... Has anyone bought and used the Acerbis Supermoto EVO Front Fender on their XRL?
Seems like $40 is a good deal if it works.

I bought one too. The wiring loom from the headlight on mine sits between the standard guard and the frame, which means I have to space this new guard down to accept the wiring loom or change the route of the loom.
How is yours ??

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #7749
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong
I bought one too...
How is yours ??
Sorry for the confusion, I don't have one...
I was hoping for a review on it from a few people to see if it was worth spending money on.

Would you mind posting pictures of yours on the bike and the way you have it mounted to accept the wiring?

thanks!
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #7750
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l
What is your definition of huge miles?

Walter
700 plus.

I've been thinking about a serious tour since I got the bike. It's funny cause even though I have 19000k on my 08 I haven't done more then a 600km day. I don't think I have even done over 1200k's in a weekend. What I guess my concern is staying at 65-75mph for 6hours plus all day for a few days. It's not even that I want to go distance, but I think that I might just start heading northish westish one day soon , and I'm curious as to what speed, distance, and RPM would be ok to run for 6-8 hours a day. I am running the 14t sprocket, and I have a history of taking off in my truck for a couple weeks and I am getting that same itch when I am on my bike. I weigh 210pnds, and with gear probably I'm up to 280 tops.

Oh yeah, Mercury, what ride? What event? Where?

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......

doughy screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 06:55 PM
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #7751
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy
700 plus.

I've been thinking about a serious tour since I got the bike. It's funny cause even though I have 19000k on my 08 I haven't done more then a 600km day. I don't think I have even done over 1200k's in a weekend. What I guess my concern is staying at 65-75mph for 6hours plus all day for a few days. It's not even that I want to go distance, but I think that I might just start heading northish westish one day soon , and I'm curious as to what speed, distance, and RPM would be ok to run for 6-8 hours a day. I am running the 14t sprocket, and I have a history of taking off in my truck for a couple weeks and I am getting that same itch when I am on my bike. I weigh 210pnds, and with gear probably I'm up to 280 tops.

Oh yeah, Mercury, what ride? What event? Where?
If I was planning this kind of trip. I would go back to stock 15 sprocket front. On my bike I would check the oil level at fuel stops. My bike burns 4oz every 200 miles on the fwy at 65-70mph. Ben

Ben99r1 screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 07:24 PM
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #7752
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,524
Are you talking 700 KILOMETERS?

That's what? Right at 430 something MILES, yes?

My longest day on the XR has been right at 500 MILES (about 800 KM) of mixed pavement (60%), fire road (30%), a little bit of jeep/single (10%). I was pretty much whupped by the end. Felt okay the next day, though. The XR did fine.

+1 on checking the oil religiously - even if you don't burn any, you'll burn some at that rate.

That's with a 15/45. Probably hauling close to 300 pounds with me, gear, and stuff.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #7753
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
700 miles

As for the oil Ben, are you running Synthetic? that's a lot of oil to burn. I use full syn, Motul 7100. I don't really burn any. But yeah for sure if I was to do that much miles, I'd be checking oil at every gas stop.

It's a just me thinking.. I have that itch to load the tent, fishing road, camp gear and go. It's more like a burning desire

So if any you guys see this bike, stop me, say hi! I'm thinking I might bolt on this trip to nowhere/everywhere Mid August.

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #7754
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95
Why even use the rear brake?!?

Argh!! I was unaware the XRL was a favorite among pirates.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #7755
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy
So if any you guys see this bike, stop me, say hi! I'm thinking I might bolt on this trip to nowhere/everywhere Mid August.
Just don't come to Texas. It is soooo freaking HOT!! This Colorado boy has just about had it with the heat and daily over 100 degree temps!!
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote