Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #766
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
How much oil does your XR take?

Back a few posts, murgatroid42 said that the XR takes 2.06 quarts, like the owners manual says. My question may have some effect on Shair Kahn's problem. I did what the manual says to change the oil and the filter, and I put in 2 quarts- before I ran the bike at all. After I rode it for about 5 or 6 minutes I came, home shut it down, waited a minute and I cheched the oil with the bike vertical. There was no oil on the dipstick. So I put in a 1/4 of a quart, let it idle for about a minute and checked it again. It was just above the hole for the low level mark, so I added more oil for a total of 2 3/4 quarts of oil. I let it idle again for about 5 minutes, shut it down and checked it- it was about 3/4 of the way to the upper level of the dipstick, so I put in more oil for a total of 3 quarts and now after idling it for a while, it's at the upper hole.

Now the manual(owners not service(I have one of those on the way though))says to put in 2.06 when you change the oild & filter, let it idle then add oil to bring it up to the upper level on the dipstick. In MANY places I have seen people say that the XR takes 2.06 but I just put in 3 and the dipstick says that was just enough. Is an XR taking 3 quarts normal?
Hi Barron,

1. Please also check the crank case oil as described in the owners manual. You might find it over filled. been there, done that!

2. I have noticed that when you idle it while it in on its side stand the oil level goes down... However, if you hold it upright during the 3-5 min. idling you will get a better reading. Try both and see if this theory holds!

--
Sincerely,
Shair
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #767
ride no evo
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
XRL owner signing out!!!!

Well my xr done got metamorphisized and changed into a 1200GS. I needed something that was more distance oriented for some trips and the blonde girl wanted more comfort. Little does she know it will be replaced sometime soon.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #768
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
I might be jumping ship too. I recently bought a new DR650 and really like it, but I really like the XRL too. If I can swing the two payments for a few months, then the XR will be paid off and I'll keep it for sure. If I get in a bind, the pig is GONE.

What would you guys do if you were me and wanted to sell the bike. I've done a ton of stuff to it and I know that really doesn't increase the value much, should I ebay the stuff or maybe sell it here, or try to sell the whole tricked out bike? I have all the OEM stuff.
I could probably part out the following things.
Clarke 4.7 tank
Pro Moto Billet rack
Corbin Seat
Moose Skid Plate
CRF Fender
Tag CR 2-hi bars
Moose Bark Busters
Stock Camshaft
probably some other stuff too.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #769
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
I might be jumping ship too. I recently bought a new DR650 and really like it, but I really like the XRL too. If I can swing the two payments for a few months, then the XR will be paid off and I'll keep it for sure. If I get in a bind, the pig is GONE.

What would you guys do if you were me and wanted to sell the bike. I've done a ton of stuff to it and I know that really doesn't increase the value much, should I ebay the stuff or maybe sell it here, or try to sell the whole tricked out bike? I have all the OEM stuff.
I could probably part out the following things.
Clarke 4.7 tank
Pro Moto Billet rack
Corbin Seat
Moose Skid Plate
CRF Fender
Tag CR 2-hi bars
Moose Bark Busters
Stock Camshaft
probably some other stuff too.
Well I still dont understand why you bought the DR in the first place, because the XR will do it all, but I would be interested in some of that stuff.
Nice bikes BTW. Keep them both.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #770
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut46
Well I still dont understand why you bought the DR in the first place, because the XR will do it all, but I would be interested in some of that stuff.
Nice bikes BTW. Keep them both.
Well, At first I wanted a touring bike. I wanted the V-Strom 650 but I didn't want to give the man the satifaction of raping me for insurance. I dunno why, but the V-Strom was fairly high priced for me. I've always like the DR, it has a few nice features that the XR doesn't ( Oil Cooler, Oil sight window, etc )

My original idea was to use the DR for long distance rides, ones that I don't want to burn the knobbies up up. The XR needs to be geared down,and that comprimises the top end. My DR runs at 90 the way the XR does at 70.

I'm not bashing the XR though, its been a hell of a bike! I hope I can keep it. The thing is almost bulletproof now! Anything that will break has broke and been replaced by better stuff.

I'm leaving in the morning for a weekend long DS ride and guess who's going, the XR of course!!
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #771
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
OK, I sold my XR650L and am thinking about that DRZ400S. A quick review would be useful, especially before I do something stupid this weekend.
I guess I missed a few posts here. you and Winterhk asked me how the two compared. Well, My XR has had so much done to it that I don't even remember what it was like stock. I think the new DR will whip the shit out of the XR in a drag race, and thats an XR thats geared, Hotcam, and carb / airbox mods. I could be wrong though, they are so totally different in thier current states. I guess I'll have to test them out someday.

I like the Ergo's of the DR better, but thats me. First gear on the DR is insanely tall, it could handle being geared down a bit.

I test rode a DRZ400S before the 650, and I really liked it. The speedo was WAY optimistic!! I'd say 8mph at least. It was buzzy at 70, which was really only probably 62.

Nice bike. I liked the water cooled thing, and the suspension but it was so close to the XR in terms of Dirt worthiness, it didn't make sence to get it. I really like the simplicity of the DR and XR. When you look at the DRZ and see how much more complicated it is, its kinda scary. Lift the cams just to do a valve adjustment?
Na.. I like the bikes that you lube the chain, check the oil, fill the gas, and just friggin ride!

Good luck Murgatroid! I think the DRZ would be a great bike to own, its proven itself as a reliable bike.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 06-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #772
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer: 6,346
This oil thing has me confused. I changed the oil in mine by draining the frame and the engine and changing the filter. It took close to three quarts to get near the full mark on the dipstick. I haven't had much chance to ride it since then. Apparently getting insurance on a bike with a prior salvage title is harder then I thought it would be.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:55 AM   #773
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,249
Well, after a few rides and a few checks, the three quarts is just what the XR needed (I did spill some oil due to rookie mistakes (first time changing the oil) but not much at all). I was a little surprised how far the oil "pisses" out of the front when you remove the drain bolt though.

Rokklym, keep us posted if you want to get rid of some of the stuff you listed, I'm sure it will get gone quick here!
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #774
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kawasaki
This oil thing has me confused. I changed the oil in mine by draining the frame and the engine and changing the filter. It took close to three quarts to get near the full mark on the dipstick. I haven't had much chance to ride it since then. Apparently getting insurance on a bike with a prior salvage title is harder then I thought it would be.
Mr K, I just measured what I had left from the third quart preparing for SLAP. Looks like 3.5 fluid ounces per my ratio rite. I personally don't hold much stock in the capacity per the manual, too many variables. I just give it what it wants per the checking procedure and what the dipstick says.
I think it's got a little over 100 miles on it, and almost covers the full mark. I don't think I'll bother checking it tomorrow.
I found my buddy his 97 DR650 with 48 miles for $2300, it was from a dealership in your town that had burnt. I'll ask him tomorrow if he had any trouble with insurance. Your salvage bike was your bike originally before it was lifted, right? That's BS.
You really need to ride an xrl that's been tweaked sometime, you have the skills to appreciate it.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #775
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

[quote=rokklym]Well, At first I wanted a touring bike. I wanted the V-Strom 650 but I didn't want to give the man the satifaction of raping me for insurance. I dunno why, but the V-Strom was fairly high priced for me. I've always like the DR, it has a few nice features that the XR doesn't ( Oil Cooler, Oil sight window, etc )

My original idea was to use the DR for long distance rides, ones that I don't want to burn the knobbies up up. The XR needs to be geared down,and that comprimises the top end. My DR runs at 90 the way the XR does at 70.

It's cool dude, we forgive you. A DR with some suspension work could make me very very happy. cuzinmike's got one that I drooled over at a local get-together, nice aggressive stance vs the marginal ground clearanced stocker my buddy rides. It evens the playing field.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #776
RONDO
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Chains And Sprockets And Choices Oh My

GOT 8500 MI ON MY 01, WANT TO DO THE 14/48 CHANGE. WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO HOLD 70 MPH FOR SOME SUSTAINED INTERSTATE RIDES?
XRING,ORING,NO RING? SUGGESTIONS?
I'VE HERD SUN STAR SPOCKETS ARE A GOOD LONG WEARING PRODUCT. OPINIONS?

THANKS
RONDO
RONDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #777
Shair_Khan
Getting back in the game!

Oddometer: 41
Question Overfill

Hi all,

Since we have so many people with different views / experiences with XRl50L oil issue. Some go by the book with 2.06qt and others are using even more than 3qt.... We all know that low oil level can hurt the engine!

Does anyone know if you have too much oil.... would that hurt the engine / transmission or anything else?

Thanks.

--
Sincerely
Shair A. Khan
Shair_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #778
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
Mr K, I just measured what I had left from the third quart preparing for SLAP. Looks like 3.5 fluid ounces per my ratio rite. I personally don't hold much stock in the capacity per the manual, too many variables. I just give it what it wants per the checking procedure and what the dipstick says.
Got it. Yeah, I'm just going to fill it to the happy mark. It doesn't really matter how much it holds. I wonder if there is anymore misinformation in the manual.

Quote:
I found my buddy his 97 DR650 with 48 miles for $2300, it was from a dealership in your town that had burnt. I'll ask him tomorrow if he had any trouble with insurance.
I have got to turn on a television on one of these days. I didn't know a local shop burnt. I have a feeling I know which one it is though. I got the insurance thing handled. At least that's what my agent tells me.

Quote:
Your salvage bike was your bike originally before it was lifted, right? That's BS.
Yep, the dude swiped it, the insurance paid me, the police found the bike and I bought it back off the impound yard. I need to find that notice I got from the prosecutor. The dudes sentencing is coming up. The last I heard he was talking a plea......three years in the big house. I wonder how much sodomy a carton of smokes buys these days.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89095

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=91361&page=2

Quote:
You really need to ride an xrl that's been tweaked sometime, you have the skills to appreciate it.
My bike has an open air-box (no side panels) and a SuperTrapp exhaust now. I can tell there is a difference between before and after. I am toying with the idea of getting a hot cam but that would have to wait until winter.

Today I installed the SS braided brake lines that I didn't get around to installing before it was stolen. I can tell a difference. I also found a problem with the master cylinder. Twice today the brake lever was dead. I guess I need to re-build it. Oh yeah, and I put DOT-3 fluid in the brakes. I got the new Gripsters installed today along with the heavy duty tubes. Those tubes are obviously not for the street. Too much unsprung weight. Those are coming back out.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #779
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Mr. K, I found him the 97 DR650 around 98. This guy bought almost a dozen dr350's and intended to keep the 650 for himself. It was filthy, sooty, turnsignals and mirrors melted off but it cleaned up like new. It was a bit of a gamble but it turned out fine. The odo is broke but the trip meter works, I'd guess he's got 15 or 20k on it
by now.
If you're thinking about a cam think about the 10.25 to 1 piston too. They work together very well.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #780
RONDO
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ANYBODY GOT ANY WISDOM TO SHED ON MY PREVIOUS POST?

RONDO
RONDO is offline   Reply With Quote