ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #9091
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer
 
debaisley's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Rotterdam , NY
Oddometer: 1,423
Is it possible to mount that oil cooler between the frame and skidplate for greater protection ? The cooling effect wont be as great , but i would feel better about it , that way some small extensions could be welded to the skidplate to protect those brass fittings
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #9092
vanpelt999
08 xr650l
 
vanpelt999's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Oddometer: 412
Vanpelt Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
THIS IS MINE, 08 WITH 10,500 MILES total 5500 miles with the cooler




Best thing I done to it yet.
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #9093
vanpelt999
08 xr650l
 
vanpelt999's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
Is it possible to mount that oil cooler between the frame and skidplate for greater protection ? The cooling effect wont be as great , but i would feel better about it , that way some small extensions could be welded to the skidplate to protect those brass fittings
I was planning on mounting on the tabs used for the stock tank air scoops, that area would put in blocking air to the head, ( no-good) no room behind skid plate.

But with enough line you could mount it anywhere, as long as it fits the area.
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #9094
tjrockit
One day closer...
 
tjrockit's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 1,210
So my question with all this oil cooler stuff is, how hot is the bike designed to run? I got my XR Only's oil temperature gauge a few weeks ago and have been monitoring how hot it gets. I've seen it get up to about 275 but usually hangs out around 250 with normal usage in 90 to 105 degree temperatures here in Austin.

The engineers must have know this when they designed the bike, so what IS the optimal temp?
__________________
2007 Honda XR650L
Dirt Roads within a 100 mile radius of Austin, TX
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #9095
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wattner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Treasure Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 4,925
I kinda like it where it is mounted, that way it can have rocks and stuff smacking, denting and scratching it... Showing battle wounds... Chicks dig scars!

Really though, with a solid piece of aluminum, if you impacted that cooler enough to structurally damage it, I am guessing you have problems vastly in excess of a dented cooler. It looks significantly more robust that the cast head and cases that are relatively close to it....

I am good with the mounting location in front of the skid plate.

Hey Denny, is the cooler anodized once you have completed fabrication? No big deal either way, just wondering....

Kudos again to a badass looking chunk of man billet.

Wattner screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 06:06 AM
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #9096
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Nasty Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 173
Okay Okay

Danny you twisted my arm can you send me price and info on how to get that awesome oil cooler???

Brian
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #9097
vanpelt999
08 xr650l
 
vanpelt999's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Oddometer: 412
Man Billet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
I kinda like it where it is mounted, that way it can have rocks and stuff smacking, denting and scratching it... Showing battle wounds... Chicks dig scars!

Really though, with a solid piece of aluminum, if you impacted that cooler enough to structurally damage it, I am guessing you have problems vastly in excess of a dented cooler. It looks significantly more robust that the cast head and cases that are relatively close to it....

I am good with the mounting location in front of the skid plate.

Hey Denny, is the cooler anodized once you have completed fabrication? No big deal either way, just wondering....

Kudos again to a badass looking chunk of man billet.
NO on the anodized, I left unfinished for a reason, If you end up with a few cratches in it, You can pretty it up in a few minutes with a palm sander, the thickness of front of cooler is 3/8" before you run a chance of getting into the oil passages.

I had a MAN BILLET on mine and a buddys bike for a while now,
A lot of offroading and neither has really any noticeable marks in them, not enought to break out the sander.

Danny
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #9098
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinknlive
That looks like an awesome setup for an oil cooler. Great looking bike too.

Do you have a much longer warmup time now? Does it include a thermostat?
It doesn't take much longer at all to get warm maybe a couple minutes, and it doesn't have a thermostat. For controlling (usually lowering) the temperature of my XR before this cooler the only thing I could really do is go slower or stop, now it doesn't matter because aside from doing something extreme I don't forsee having any temp problems with my bike in it's current set up.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #9099
vanpelt999
08 xr650l
 
vanpelt999's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
So my question with all this oil cooler stuff is, how hot is the bike designed to run? I got my XR Only's oil temperature gauge a few weeks ago and have been monitoring how hot it gets. I've seen it get up to about 275 but usually hangs out around 250 with normal usage in 90 to 105 degree temperatures here in Austin.

The engineers must have know this when they designed the bike, so what IS the optimal temp?
This maybe open for debate, But to sum it up for me is when the bike gets so hot that the power almost feels lasy or that its losing power, thats to damn hot.
With mine that seem to start at 250 and get worse as it got hotter.

During my countless hours searching for cooler ideas and talking to many people in different feilds of knowledge, I had talk to a gentleman that had work for a company that was involved with honda in the late 80s-90s, that had seen some internal memos from honda, stating that several honda engineers had concerns of over heating issues, To sum it up it was ruled that the average consumer of the xr650l would only be expected to only run the bike, not to exceed 1 hour intervals, and not using on average of 50% of the power. (you have to admit you got some big balls to ride this bike wide open, max power out on the trails).
About the same time the upper managment did give into the idea of putting coolers on the xr400 and xr250

Now i don't know about a lot of owners that ride the bike in an average manner, I don't.
The guys that you hear of selling a bike thats 8-10 years old that has only couple thousand miles on them, and only rode it to church and back once a week, that might be what honda had in mind.

I guess that if it helps the bike i,m going to put one on, which I did and glad i did.
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #9100
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercustoms
WELCOME!!!! All New Comers!!!

And a question ?

I would like to know if anyone has figured out the ratio of: 1 chain link to how many notches on the adjusters?

If that makes any cents.
Well, moving the axle back by one link would require the chain to be 2 links longer (roughly, exact determination requires knowing the sprocket diameters, unless they are of equal diameter) .

The pitch of a 520 chain is 5/8 of an inch.

Measure how many adjuster clicks gives you 5/16th of an inch.

That number of clicks is your answer.


Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #9101
Bbasso
my name is Rob
 
Bbasso's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: South Carolina!
Oddometer: 1,878
So I guess my 700 mile road trips to MI and NY were not in there line of thinking when the bike was being disscussed
yeah...
But 7000 miles since the beginning of June and zero issues with the motor.

I have noticed that running it a little richer then Dave's carb mod does keep the temps down But I can still get it to reach 275.

I really need to get an oil cooler on the piggy, I just can't make up my mind on which.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #9102
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
This maybe open for debate, But to sum it up for me is when the bike gets so hot that the power almost feels lasy or that its losing power, thats to damn hot.
With mine that seem to start at 250 and get worse as it got hotter.

During my countless hours searching for cooler ideas and talking to many people in different feilds of knowledge, I had talk to a gentleman that had work for a company that was involved with honda in the late 80s-90s, that had seen some internal memos from honda, stating that several honda engineers had concerns of over heating issues, To sum it up it was ruled that the average consumer of the xr650l would only be expected to only run the bike, not to exceed 1 hour intervals, and not using on average of 50% of the power. (you have to admit you got some big balls to ride this bike wide open, max power out on the trails).
About the same time the upper managment did give into the idea of putting coolers on the xr400 and xr250

Now i don't know about a lot of owners that ride the bike in an average manner, I don't.
The guys that you hear of selling a bike thats 8-10 years old that has only couple thousand miles on them, and only rode it to church and back once a week, that might be what honda had in mind.

I guess that if it helps the bike i,m going to put one on, which I did and glad i did.
95 degrees, full-throttle 2nd gear sand uphills for a while, and you'll exceed 300 pretty easily. Still ran like a top, slight propensity to have a heavy spark knock just off idle (and only just off idle) if running 87.

8300 or so miles, I get a little blue on startup, but that's probably more from filling the cylinder/crankcase with silty water.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #9103
thinknlive
Adventurer
 
thinknlive's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 70
XR Farkle Bug

Having read through this entire thread, I now realize I have caught a bad case of the XR Farkle Bug.

My new (to me) 1995 XR650L is mostly stock (de-smogged is all)... So much potential!

Had second thoughts on the XRL at first... It arrived with a monster Terraflex rear and D606 on the front... wheels unbalanced. On pavement the Terraflex was a little scary and about 45mph or so there was serious headshake....

So for now, I have a set of Shinko 705's on and the wheels balanced. What a difference! I think these tires will be perfect for the kind I riding I expect to do in the next 6months or so. Mostly pavement, lots of twisties, some easy dirt. Doesn't look as MadMax with the TerraFlex off though :(

I also took off the Kouba lowering link it had. With a 34" inseam, I don't need it. Bike feels like it handles a little better without it too.

Some kind of oil cooler is next... then big tank... rack...

Is there any aftermarket exhaust as quiet as the stock one? Or nearly so? I like the look of the FMF Q4, but have read mixed reports as to how quiet it is. I like stealth.
thinknlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #9104
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,634
I don't think any aftermarket exhaust will be nearly as quiet as the stock exhaust. I don't think any would be even close.


Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #9105
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty
 
SenorPeligro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Off the wrong map
Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
During my countless hours searching for cooler ideas and talking to many people in different feilds of knowledge, I had talk to a gentleman that had work for a company that was involved with honda in the late 80s-90s, that had seen some internal memos from honda, stating that several honda engineers had concerns of over heating issues, To sum it up it was ruled that the average consumer of the xr650l would only be expected to only run the bike, not to exceed 1 hour intervals, and not using on average of 50% of the power. (you have to admit you got some big balls to ride this bike wide open, max power out on the trails).
I may have had mine up to 70mph on an undisclosed dirt road in Mexico.

To add a little fuel to this fire, when I has having my top-end rebuild done, the Service Manager relayed a message from Honda that went something like "Honda reminds customers, that although the motorcycle is capable of freeway speeds, it is not designed to be ridden at high-speed on the freewafor extended periods".



Guess they forgot to mention that in the marketing literature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Website
Similar to the Baja-winning 650 single in our XR650R, this motor can certainly handle your daily commute. Powerful, compact, durable and fuel efficient, you can't beat it.
I'll STFU now. I love this stupid bike.
__________________
It's just good clean dirt.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014