Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #9556
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,066
Hey Laser.... The grips are good, but maybe some Harley style tassels???

Man, you had to ask... Balance is a concern, as well as the stress on the crank bearing journals. I will be looking into beefing the cases and something like:http://www.balancemasters.com/flywheels/index.html

While I crave horsepower, I am after a clean running reliable motor for long distance. I may need to just get on the 950 SE bandwagon, but am deep here so let's see what I can come up with. Huge bore, high compression, coatings, Mikuni 45 or 48,etc..... Phuk, sounds like Phun!!!!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #9557
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercustoms
I got mine from Interstate cheaper than wal mart. "Yossimu" or what ever makes the interstate battery. The same one sold at XR's only for 100.00. I got mine for 43.00. It cranked in -7 degrees weather before.
Hey Laser, you got a link. This is what I found and I don't see one for $43.00.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...815-2147384880
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #9558
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAmI
Hey guys so I picked up my bike from the police station, at least my girl bit back and took someone with her. The aftermath of the crash they had was a bent rear fender frame and the shifter bent in something fierce, not enough to pop a hole in the cover but it cracked it a bit. I'm wondering if I tack on a peice of metal would that be okay for the time being, that is provided the engine still runs.
fill it with jb weld and its as good as new
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #9559
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
See the bottom photo there HG. That's a shot of the inside of the clutch cover. The seal, pn 91201-HM3-A61, held in by the snap ring, upper left, flows oil to the crankshaft from the filter. The O ring on the alumnium tube seals the oil from the pump to the filter. That little tube is easy to overlook or loose. By the way this seal is shown in the clutch section of the parts manual and not in the clutch cover parts section.
Thanks Fritz. Learn something new every day...I don't even remember seeing this but I assume it was OK since it's never had a problem since I put it all back together.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #9560
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
Details about the 600 piston?? whats up with that? What is the reason/advantages?
Cumbacheech
Higher compression
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #9561
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Hey fellow "L"onians...

Quick update, been working like crazy Anyway, I spoke to Kustom Kraft, AWESOME owner and seems like a great guy.............We talked extensively about Nikasil coating the cylinder.. bla bla ... then do that at a test tear down.
He is sending the piston and I will take that, the cam, rockers, tappets, valves, guides, etc. and possibly the gears for a coating of some kind, not sure yet. I will look at the intake port and head coatings.
I am going into the tranny to install the NX 2nd, so I might as well look at the gear assemblies, and if it is not too much extra work I will tear into them and get them coated.
I am interested in seeking the best oil pump and .....bla bla..Ideas as well???
I have a new Keihin pumper from XR's only, an FCR 41, as well as a stocker, but will probably go for the Mikuni 45 or 48. I could not care less about gas mileage.. I want PUNCH!!!!!
If my cam is good,........ but if it is worn, I will look to Megacycle, or????
I will swap the Baja designs HID, add the custom oil cooler (Shameless plug and Kudos to Danny!!!! Here! Here!!!!) and then I am considering coatings on the sprockets, bolts and swingarm for bling....Man off time is expensive, but fun!!!!Cheers
Damm, send me a job application for the place you work. S__t man! All I see is dollar signs in the post?? Just kidding, that will be a cool set up.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #9562
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

The bike is already done for the most part. I will do the labor, so there is only a few hundred on parts.... MUCH cheaper than the 950 SE or Husaberg 570 I want!

I will sell the carbs that I won't need. The therapy of being in the garage is worth every penny. I have 4 daughters and a very girly girl wife. Pink, fairy dust, dresses, dress up, etc is what goes on inside. It is precious, cute and awesome, but I need some grease under my nails and some man time!

I enjoy building the bikes, then riding them. Actually pretty cheap. I sold the boat and put the plane on hold until the $$$$ gets flowing or Obama is gone, whichever comes first. Those are real money pits!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #9563
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
Hey Laser, you got a link. This is what I found and I don't see one for $43.00.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...815-2147384880
Well......The Interstate guy that comes by the shop I work at is nice because we are his biggest client. I might have had a slight advantage on getting the good price. He even brought it to me no shipping. Sorry I didn't know he gave me that good a deal. I can try and get you one if you want.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #9564
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
Details about the 600 piston?? whats up with that? What is the reason/advantages?

Cumbacheech

Check out TT ,,,,HeadTrama has put together a piston chart,it seems the XR600 piston pin is 1mm lower than the XR650L pin on the actual piston,so it raises the piston 1mm in the bore,,,XR`S only also says this to be true and this gives you about 9.5 to 1 compression ratio,over our 8.3 to 1..this is a good way to raise compression without going with the available 10.5 to 1 or 11.0-1 high comp pistons which like to cause spark knock...this way you can get a little boost without race gas..and the 600r piston is avilable in 100mm..

I want a little more power without the race fuel headaches....

Brian
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #9565
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Oil pressure

Hey Wattner and others,

I was talking with a guy a year ago that works for Dan Gurney (THE DG!!!) that had all kinds of information on all kinds of shite they had done to an XR650L. Have you ever seen Gurney's bike called the Gator?... Low slung road bike powered by an XR650L... anyways...

He was telling me that the XR has approx 50 psi of oil pressure. I have no reason not to believe him as I have seen pictures of some of their mule motors that had turbo, fuel injection, big fins, yadda-yadda-yadda... all with no oil pump mods.

If I can find his screen name on TT I will toss it your way, he is a stand up guy and DG's head XR guru ... later all...

Dave
Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #9566
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Dave.... We need to hook up and twist throttle.. I am back in Ga for a few days

I did not take the time to make any calls or do any research today... M-in law fell and really messed herself up. Maybe tomorrow I can get some headway on the project.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #9567
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercustoms
Well......The Interstate guy that comes by the shop I work at is nice because we are his biggest client. I might have had a slight advantage on getting the good price. He even brought it to me no shipping. Sorry I didn't know he gave me that good a deal. I can try and get you one if you want.
No worries but I appreciate the offer.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #9568
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
Interstate.
I know they're expensive, but I've sure liked my Odyssey PC310s. On has been starting my XR for 3 years, al ot of that sitting around time. The 2nd actually has plenty of guts for my ST1300, believe it or not.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300

mchester screwed with this post 10-22-2009 at 07:40 PM
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #9569
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Oddometer: 294
Hmm me thinks buying a lotto ticket is a good idea. Returning to my luck, I get the bike back mostly in one piece, they left the spare CDI in the tool bag, it being the only thing of value in there, and the engine still runs though i'm hesitant to let it go for long on account it was due for an oil change anyways.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #9570
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,524
UK ebay

Wow, some really sharp looking supermoto headlights on UK ebay:
streetfighter headlight 1

streetfighter headlight 2

There's also an NX650 gearbox on the UK ebay as well.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote