Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #946
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
My parents ride two up on a 650L sometimes. My mom finds the back a bit small, sloped and uncomfortable, but no problems with the subframe breaking or any other reliablility issues. Just a lack of comfort.

have fun
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:24 AM   #947
scottsNX
old and grey and busted

Oddometer: 26
G'day All,

How close are the engines in these machines to my NX650 Dominator? They look very similar!

Cheers Scott from Downunder
scottsNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 AM   #948
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,580
The motors are nearly identical.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #949
ttp
Too old for dirt bikes?

Oddometer: 56
I scored a 2001 XR650L today. I'm the 3rd owner. The odometer reads 4,700 miles and it's fitted with a White Bros exhaust and new IRC BR92's. It's in good shape and everything works. It sure pulls strong. I haven't had a chance to count sprocket teeth so I'm not sure if it's got the stock gearing.

This is my first "modern" dirt bike. My last one was a new '83 KDX200 and before that a new '75 Elsinore 250.

Not sure about the farkle yet. I sorta' like it the way it is. Time will tell I guess.
Attached Images

Present scooter: '01 XR650L
ttp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #950
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
A clark tank in a 4gl or a 4.7 will help get you there and back and since you got a half a pipe all ready you might want to make sure its jeeted proper. Daves mods over on four stokes would be the best you could do with the stock carb. XRs only sells a mikuni flat slide that will improve even more so then the daves mods. Great bike congrats!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #951
ttp
Too old for dirt bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblin
A clark tank in a 4gl or a 4.7 will help get you there and back and since you got a half a pipe all ready you might want to make sure its jeeted proper. Daves mods over on four stokes would be the best you could do with the stock carb. XRs only sells a mikuni flat slide that will improve even more so then the daves mods. Great bike congrats!
Thanks for the tips. For $2,950 I thought I got a good buy. One thing that's for sure, that octopuss HAS GOT to go ! Smog crap on bikes - who'da thunk ? Oh well . . . . it's not my world anymore.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #952
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Love my XR650L

Just recently picked up a 2004 XR650L and am loving it. Mostly on street at this moment but more dirt in the near future. Last night I ordered a skid plate and really want that on it before getting crazy off road. I will likely do 70/30 road/dirt and am contemplating Pirelli MT90 ATs. They make a 120 and a 140 series and I am wondering if I can fit a 140 safely on the back or not? I do a fair bit of traveling on the road and need a safe set up without making compromises. The current rear Bridgestone is almost gone at 1800 mi and I don't want a set that will disappear fast when I am on the road. I ride year round both on and off road and it was in the 20s this morning when I rode to work.
The Pirelli I am considering is...
Pirelli MT90 A/T 140/80S-18 Rear Does anybody use these tires or have any better suggestions? I was thinking with a mild off road tire, it might help to have a little wider footprint like a 140 but only if it will be safe at speed and fit well inside my swingarm.
Couple pix of my new baby and yes I am working on making her a dirty girl

OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #953
ttp
Too old for dirt bikes?

OnOff - nice scooter ! Mind that pipe sans the leg guard.

It's been snowing here in northern Michigan ever since I got my XR this past Monday. Not real condusive to riding, at least for my retired semi-geezer ass. I dislike cold and wet these days.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #954
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
ttp...

I actually LOVE riding in the snow and like to ride in as deep a snow as I physically can. Re the pipe, you are 100% correct. I have torched multiple pairs of jeans and all down by the inside ankle. I wonder if Big Gun makes a guard or if I should make one myself?
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #955
slydrite
Yea buddy!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOff
am contemplating Pirelli MT90 ATs. They make a 120 and a 140 series and I am wondering if I can fit a 140 safely on the back or not? The Pirelli I am considering is...
Pirelli MT90 A/T 140/80S-18 Rear Does anybody use these tires or have any better suggestions?
140 AT fits on an L rear wheel just fine with not even a hint of chain rub.......not the best off road, and not the stickiest on road, but I prefer a softer frt tire compared to the rear, that's why I run the AT on the rear only and my pave/dirt usage is the same as what you are planning
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #956
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,375
Quote:
I actually LOVE riding in the snow and like to ride in as deep a snow as I physically can. Re the pipe, you are 100% correct. I have torched multiple pairs of jeans and all down by the inside ankle. I wonder if Big Gun makes a guard or if I should make one myself?
I don't think Big Gun makes one, I need one too, roasted holes in my new shift gloves fiddling with my mikuni's idle adjustment.
A buddy made me a heat shield for a husky 2 stroke, it had a sheetmetal jacket over the expansion chamber with some kind of heatresistant fabric under it. He hand formed some guards out of perforated metal and gas welded them on.
At the time, late 80's, about everyone who rode a husky had a big burn scar just below the left knee.
Nice looking bike!
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #957
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
I haven't even come close to a burn on my leg with the XRs only pipe,it seems to be tucked in very well. No heat sheild needed. On my second 140 rear now no problem. Tkc80s seem to stick better than my saharas did ,very happy so far.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #958
tirebiter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
I couldn't find one for the Big Gun, so I grabbed a six-pack & a piece of aluminum diamond plate and made one..You can tell by the holes.

Attachment 88508

tirebiter screwed with this post 01-21-2008 at 06:35 AM
tirebiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #959
tirebiter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
My 650 had a Big Gun race pipe on it when I got it- WAY too loud!
Purchased the quiet core from BG, still too loud.

Found an ol' 1 1/2" EMT 90 bend in the garage and made a down tip.
To keep the exposed cut end from being dangerous, I took a piece of 3/16" brazing rod & bent it into an oval, then brazed it to the end and painted the whole thing BBQ black.

Attachment 88510

tirebiter screwed with this post 01-21-2008 at 06:34 AM
tirebiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #960
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,375
Nice work Tirebiter! You may have missed it but guys are having issues with the quiet core, just a heads up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172075

I like the big gun headers, they're tucked in well, just need to be more careful with my idle screw.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote