Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #9601
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
[quote=BHW]Can someone tell me the size of the oil drain plug, the one in the case, not the frame. Mine is rounded off, and before I extract it, Id like to have a replacement.

Its a 12mm x 15mm long, I would get it from honda shop, shouldn't be more than 4-5 bucks,

I would try hammer and a good punch, tapping it in the direction of loosing it, it just might surprise you how easy it might break loose, then you still have good threads and flat sealing surface.
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #9602
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Brushguards with lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW
Anybody got brush busters or handguards with built in blinkers/signals? I saw some in a catalog, and am wondering if anyone has tried them. I want to clean the bike up some (remove stuff).

I've got some white ones with LED turn signals that i bought for my 94 XRL and decided not to use. The came from Sicass Racing. Let me know if you can use 'em and I'll make you a deal. They are new in the wrapping and have not been installed.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #9603
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Would love to twisty...buuttt...

Hey Wattner,

First, and somewhat belated, condolences and prayers for you and yours, I hope all goes well.

I'd love to go ride but I may be a hindrance due to lack of gear and rusty (really rusty) skills. If you remember wearing lineman boots and your dad's garden gloves as a kid then that is about where I am at. Long story short wife and I are doing the Dave Ramsey thing (if you don't know him look him up...great stuff) So once we are debt free LET THE FARKLING BEGIN!!!

I have lived here in Ga for a while but do not know really any of the riding places I read about here and in the D.O.G.S. section. BUT, I am game to give it a go... just make sure anybody else going has bald tires and then I can keep up!

Again my heartfelt wishes and prayers...

Aloha y'all..
Dave
Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #9604
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,009
Thanks man!!!! I have a garage full of boots, jackets, pants, gloves, tires, etc, ifn'ya need a gear fix! I even have extra wheels with tires on them!

Thanks again!!!! I am planning on a slow street styled ride Sunday...
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #9605
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
From what I've gleaned from information on the interwebs, the CDI for the NX does indeed work on the XRL, the only thing different in it's appearance is that the plug connection is green instead of white. I've also heard it said that the NX CDI has a different torque curve than the XRL one, which results in a few more usable HP.

I can neither confirm nor deny any of the above information however, as I'm not running the NX CDI on my bike.
I have heard the same thing about the spark advance curve being a bit more aggressive on the NX CDI and that Honda retarded things a bit on the XR650L CDI for emissions reasons. Some of this is hearsay but I do know some folks on TT that have made the swap and are quite happy with the kick in the pants they claim to feel. I've been watching for a used NX CDI to come up on Ebay for quite a while, but no luck so far.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #9606
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW
Anybody got brush busters or handguards with built in blinkers/signals? I saw some in a catalog, and am wondering if anyone has tried them. I want to clean the bike up some (remove stuff).
I have the Acerbis variety that, I think, got discontinued. I like them just fine. Like you said, cleaned up the bike and function well before and after an LED conversion. Heres a photo:

The NEW version looks much cooler than mine, though they don't seem to offer as much protection (mine have and optional spoiler on top): photo.http://www.acerbistore.it/product.as...2474&C=206&L=4

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #9607
watchmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Problems with the piggy.

Okay, so my little white piggy was acting up today when I was going up an hill. My bike has been running great lately, minus I need to tighten the chain. Anyways, 2 funny things happened today. I was taking a friend for a ride and all that, and we stopped at the store to get some water. Leaving the store, the bike really didn't want to start, it took me a minute to start it. Just wasn't getting the rumble for a minute or so. The last time I had this problem, it was the CDI, but I replaced that last year. Anyways, it started fine after that for the rest of the day.

The reel strange thing was that I was going up a hill (well 3000 feet) on a nice paved road. I was in second, and I mostly go about 25-30 mph up the hill. Then all of sudden, I lost most of the pair in second. It felt like I was trying to go up the hill in 3rd. It pretty much started lugging funny Unless I was going to 30-35 in second. I ended up having the same problem in 3rd too. In first everything was fine, only problem was in 2nd or 3rd. It would pretty much sputter when it got near the last half of the throttle. I have had this happen on a small bike, and it always seemed to be the carb clogged. It tended to get better the more I ride, but I rather not ride it without getting to the bottom of it.

A friend of mine thinks it could be the fuel filter or air filter. Since it worked in first, I don't think it's the fuel filter. But my air filter needs replacing anyways.

What do you guys think it could be? Any ideas is appreciated.
watchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #9608
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
I'd like to know where you got that too.... well and the cost as well
Just ask Vanpelt akaanny and he will set you up
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #9609
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Hey Danny I think you have a few more buyers.
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #9610
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmen
Okay, so my little white piggy was acting up today
What do you guys think it could be? Any ideas is appreciated.
The starting thing was just a hick-up and your bike promises not to do it again. It was just jealous of the passenger.

Your not losing power your losing traction. In 2nd and 3rd anything above half throttle your just spinning your tire.

I know this doesn't help any but I'm board
Old 10-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #9611
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
I'm still alive... Just been very busy with work. Not much time to get on the bike lately :(

If anyone cares
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:34 AM   #9612
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,366
more than you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
I'm still alive... Just been very busy with work. Not much time to get on the bike lately :(

If anyone cares
oh , we care

good to hear
Old 10-24-2009, 06:07 AM   #9613
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236
I've got some white ones with LED turn signals that i bought for my 94 XRL and decided not to use. The came from Sicass Racing. Let me know if you can use 'em and I'll make you a deal. They are new in the wrapping and have not been installed.

Interesting! Let me look online for a pic of those.....and I'll get back to ya!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #9614
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,081
[quote=vanpelt999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW
Can someone tell me the size of the oil drain plug, the one in the case, not the frame. Mine is rounded off, and before I extract it, Id like to have a replacement.

Its a 12mm x 15mm long, I would get it from honda shop, shouldn't be more than 4-5 bucks,

I would try hammer and a good punch, tapping it in the direction of loosing it, it just might surprise you how easy it might break loose, then you still have good threads and flat sealing surface.
I'm pretty sure I can get the plug out, it's just the previous owner rounded the nut off with an adjustable wrench or something similar. I just want to have a new replacement on hand before I spin the old one out.

Brash washer or rubber washer?
Old 10-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #9615
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
[quote=BHW]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999

I'm pretty sure I can get the plug out, it's just the previous owner rounded the nut off with an adjustable wrench or something similar. I just want to have a new replacement on hand before I spin the old one out.

Brash washer or rubber washer?
BHW,

Check this website out. I use it as a parts micro fiche:
http://www.powersedge.com/pages/part...d/default.aspx

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote