PilbaraGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #9872
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet
Hey father9,
I am knee deep in my XRL right now as well. The top end is apart while I wait for my piston to arrive. I am with Screamin Injin... I think the only way your rockers could stick up that far is for the rockers or sub-rockers to have been installed incorrectly. There is no way the rotation of the cam can cause them to poke out like that if installed correctly. Now they might be 180 out of synch, but that wouldn't cause your problem. The schematics from the manual show some specific stampings on the rockers and sub-rockers that have to be put in 'just so.' I can scan it for you if you don't have it.

On another note, are there any gurus out there that can answer this question: Does the pulse generator in the right crank case fire a spark at every TDC, regardless of whether it is at the top of the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke? I ask because the manual only states that the crankshaft must be spun to TDC when you place the cam (lobes down in the compression position) and install the cam chain. It does not specify setting the 'correct' TDC. If the pulse generator only fires every other TDC, then you would have to verify that it is at the top of the proper TDC when installing the cam, would you not?

Sorry for the novel... never been this deep in a motor before.

Cheers,
Grayjet
Your second chapter is exactly what was bugging me as I installed the cam. TDC seems realtive - as in WHICH TDC.

Looks like I'm taking this thing apart again so it would be wise to verify the info .

Taking the rocker assembly off tonight to inspect install.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #9873
FatherX
Java Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilbaraGoat

nice hybrid

I have similar bike holder. Very stable. Only problem is mine has been stuck in it for 2 months
Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #9874
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
noob question

Hey everyone

I have some noob questions.. I have no idea about motors so I come asking the pros. So I hope you guys can help me out.

I want to start looking at engine mods next. So far I removed the smog crap, Dave's mod, uni filter, snorkle out & fmf pipe. I want to still keep the reliability of the pig but want some more HP. Someone posted that we could use the XR600R piston b/c it will keep the bike reliable. What else can/should be done. I heard of port & polish, hot cam? I want to start doing some research and start putting together a shopping list.

Thanks in advance ,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #9875
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet

On another note, are there any gurus out there that can answer this question: Does the pulse generator in the right crank case fire a spark at every TDC, regardless of whether it is at the top of the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke?
Yes is does.

There's a name for this type of system, as apposed to one that only fires on the compression stroke, but at the moment it eludes me (not enough coffee intake yet this morning).
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #9876
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Just wondering...

This ever happen to you?

My bike has been a bit tough to start in the morning (it's getting cold) so last night I swapped my 20-50 oil for 10-40. I was taking the frame plug out with an extension on the socket so I wouldn't get hot oil on my hands. When the hot oil spurted out and hit a cut on my finger I jumped a little, and lost my balance so I quickly put my right hand down behind me and swung my left for balance. Right about the time I landed on my rear anyway I had a terrible realization while staring into my empty socket- I had just flung my drainplug somewhere into my yard. So I got a beer and started looking for it. After it got dark I finally found the plug and finished my oil change. I think the Honda God is mad at me or something but at least my bike started easy today.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #9877
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Hey Barron,

Can I get you to not work on my bike????

Just kidding man, sounds like you have exhumed all of the gremlins so all is easy sailing from here on out!
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #9878
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
Not quite that but did you manage to tweak your back out in the process as well? If so, that's more typical of my interaction with the Honda gods.....

Seems like I always manage to tweak out my back when I do bike chores so instead of getting to go riding as a reward for maintenance, I end up spending 3 days not being able to walk. Hmmmm, obviously not enough beer involved in the process.....
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #9879
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Hey Cumbacheech,

I like the name, have no clue what it means, but... I like it???

Anyway, the limit is in your wallet. I have had tons of mods, and really the only thing that has proven un-reliable has to do with the dumbass owner (ME) not attending to all facets of an operation, ie: not jetting after a mod and having a lean condition, or not priming the oil pump and running it to starvation....

The best bang for the buck has been the port and polish, kibblewhite valves, springs and valve job, HRC cam, big bore high compression piston, 2 stiff clutch springs (I leave 2 stock and 2 heavy....NEVER has slipped, and adds some noticeable grab) and the NX650 second gear. I have had great luck with a Mikuni Flat slide, and not so much with the Keihin, Mikuni and Edelbrock pumper carbs. I have the XR's only header and exhaust as well.

Call and talk to the guys at XR's only and Freddy if available.... They have always helped me tons.... Travis at THUMPER may still dabble in the RFVC motor as well.

Unfortunately (OR, fortunately, depends upon your perception) The RFVC is a Dinosaur and is fading away.... I LOVE my "L" and will keep it alive as long as possible, but I admit there are better bikes for many purposes, and the "L" remains my steed for the long distance South of the Border duty. It gets the nod less and less for true dual sport riding.

I will tear into it again this winter and build the crap out of it, but after the 525 gets a 540 kit!!!!
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #9880
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 376
Good info

Thanks, Northern - that was the last piece of info I needed before putting it all back together.

Cheers,
grayjet

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #9881
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
Yes is does.

There's a name for this type of system, as apposed to one that only fires on the compression stroke, but at the moment it eludes me (not enough coffee intake yet this morning).

Lost Spark. Just like BMW uses on their airhead twins

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #9882
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Hey Cumbacheech,

I like the name, have no clue what it means, but... I like it???

Anyway, the limit is in your wallet. I have had tons of mods, and really the only thing that has proven un-reliable has to do with the dumbass owner (ME) not attending to all facets of an operation, ie: not jetting after a mod and having a lean condition, or not priming the oil pump and running it to starvation....

The best bang for the buck has been the port and polish, kibblewhite valves, springs and valve job, HRC cam, big bore high compression piston, 2 stiff clutch springs (I leave 2 stock and 2 heavy....NEVER has slipped, and adds some noticeable grab) and the NX650 second gear. I have had great luck with a Mikuni Flat slide, and not so much with the Keihin, Mikuni and Edelbrock pumper carbs. I have the XR's only header and exhaust as well.

Call and talk to the guys at XR's only and Freddy if available.... They have always helped me tons.... Travis at THUMPER may still dabble in the RFVC motor as well.
Hey Wattner,

Thanks for the reply. The reason for this post was because I went to the local KTM dealer to pick up some air filter cleaner and started to look (or should I say ) at the 690 Super Enduro R. Wow what a bike!! Little tough to justify to wife why I need another Enduro... so I decided since I have already done the springs and have the Gold valves at home waiting to be installed I should just continue to make my XRL better. So to that I decided that the next thing that I need to do is get more power. I am just worried that I will mess up my bike and become (how you call it) a "dumbass owner" b/c I am not that savvy with motors.

I will give the guys at XR's only a call and hopefully they can help me out. Oh Ya the name is an old nickname meaning Godfather Cheech...

Thanks again,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #9883
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Lost Spark. Just like BMW uses on their airhead twins

I was gonna say loss and lossless systems, but wasn't fully awake and didn't was to sound like a dumbass.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #9884
FatherX
Java Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
Hey Wattner,

... just worried that I will mess up my bike and become (how you call it) a "dumbass owner" b/c I am not that savvy with motors.

Cumbacheech
Hi.
My name is Michael and I am a "dumbass owner".
Also no savvy motor mister.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #9885
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
Aw, come on pops, he's just pulling your trunk....

So, how ARE those rocker arms coming along?
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote