Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #10306
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Wattner,

Great looking set up, I'm jealous as usual. I really like how clean and uncluttered your install is but I have some questions about what I see if you would be so kind sir:

For power to the Vapor and the Garmin did you install permanent power sockets? Are they wired in parallel or series or spliced into different power wires altogether?

How much power do they draw compared to the stock console or should I even bother worrying about it?

What kinda turn signaling device is that?

What kinda mirrors are those?

I appreciate your answers as always!

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #10307
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,226
Thanks!!!!

I ran a relay with a heavy gauge wire from the battery to power the accessories (Garmin, Vapor, Heated Grips, Cigarette lighter for power, etc).

I have never had any problem at all powering everything, even with a 100 watt headlight bulb.

I don't use turn signals, but the switch is from: http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/...cart/agora.cgi

The mirrors are the ONLY ones that I have ever found that actually work(KTM foldable...) I like the Long rounds: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post11417085

Relatively cheap, they WORK and the dealer is a class act! I have tried everything else and nothing comes close!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #10308
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Thanks!!!!

I ran a relay with a heavy gauge wire from the battery to power the accessories (Garmin, Vapor, Heated Grips, Cigarette lighter for power, etc).

I have never had any problem at all powering everything, even with a 100 watt headlight bulb.

I don't use turn signals, but the switch is from: http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/...cart/agora.cgi

The mirrors are the ONLY ones that I have ever found that actually work(KTM foldable...) I like the Long rounds: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post11417085

Relatively cheap, they WORK and the dealer is a class act! I have tried everything else and nothing comes close!
Awesome man, thanks a lot!
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #10309
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Dammit!!!

Hey Everybody,

Went riding with Wattner a couple of weeks back and threw my bike down the road (not on purpose mind you) trying to keep up (wet leaves and pine needles... no really). Went down on the right side, slid a ways, then picked myself up and had a broken off front brake lever and a right foot peg pointing kinda up. He fixed me up the next weekend with new pegs and lever and other good stuff (again thanks Mike) and off we went again.

Well, this past weekend I tore into her to clean and lube everything and lo-an-behold my foot peg bracket on the right is not bent, BUT MY FOOKIN FRAME IS DENTED IN !!! Shove your thumb into the side of your favorite aluminum adult beverage container about a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch and you have my dent! FFAARRKK!!! Now I don't know if a new peg bracket will make any difference... SHART!

Now to find a doner steel framed CR250/500 and make a frakenbike!!! or just ride the piss out of this one...

Later all,
Dave

p.s. Mike I'll be in contact in a couple of weeks hopefully...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #10310
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Dave,

FWIW, I am not aware of ANY 650L frame that is not bent the same way.... (SHHHHH.......) Heat up the peg till red, then bend to an acceptable level and quench with room temperature 30 weight oil for the proper annealing and add the footpeg brace and ride the damn thing would ya????

Of course this ONLY applies to bikes that are ridden, and if you ride you crash, right? I am sure there are a few badass or lucky (panty waist) riders that don't or haven't crashed that have a straight frame (they are in therapy?). For the riders out there, and you know who you (we) are, there are bent frames that are the same as yours, SO.... Pick up that glass, give a woohooo and an air "cheers" and be proud... Proud you are a rider, damnit, not a poser, but a rider that rides and crashes, and fix that frame and continue on my "rider" friend, ride on!!!!

Leave the tears for the therapy and panty wearing crowd! 'Cause you, my friend are a rider with a bent frame... I have seen it, lived it and I can attest that you can actually run with the XR crowd!!!! (you SMOKED that 100 man! and he SMOKED me!)

No really, it is VERY common and both of my "L"s have the dent... Chicks DIG scars and bent frames! Man, Chicks DIG you!!!!! It's all good! Fix it and ride on!!!!

p.s. I rode 14 hours + on the "L" and had a hoot last Saturday, thanks DOGs, I only missed the orange bike when Suches Rider (Patty) went on by as I lusted for the EXC....

XR's are cool

Wattner screwed with this post 11-18-2009 at 08:45 PM
Old 11-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #10311
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,877
Don't lust after the orange, just know that your XR will be running when hers is in the shop!

How did she do on it?

I picked up her DRZ a few times at FBA III. Wissy is a handful on an XR
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #10312
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

She rode like the champ she is... Class act all the way!!!!! Kudos to Ms. Rider, Ms, Suches rider!

I like her style for sure. I am honored to ride with her any time!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #10313
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Vapor and GPS

Thanks for posting your picture Wattner, that is pretty nice. This photo is really what I want and adding the F650GS Dakar windscreen, something that works without getting rid of my stock key switch is the puzzle.

BTW, I read that thread a while ago about the KTM folding mirrors, the local KTM dealer had no idea what to order, I guess I need to ask about mirrors for the 950 or 640 Adventure?
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #10314
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,007
Guy is selling those KTM type mirrors in Vendors for much cheaper than dealer cost....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #10315
uranys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender
Thanks for posting your picture Wattner, that is pretty nice. This photo is really what I want and adding the F650GS Dakar windscreen, something that works without getting rid of my stock key switch is the puzzle.

BTW, I read that thread a while ago about the KTM folding mirrors, the local KTM dealer had no idea what to order, I guess I need to ask about mirrors for the 950 or 640 Adventure?
If your looking to run a vapor with the dash and change your mirrors, check out http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/ they make some awesome looking stuff.

disclaimer: I have no experience or affiliation with them, I just think their stuff looks good.
uranys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #10316
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Fork conversion

Just stumbled on this website. Some of you may be interested...

http://www.emigracing.com/ click on view "ER products" and you will find the listing for the conversion kits for the XRL.

I have no relations/association with these people I just stumbled on their website...

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #10317
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
This photo is really what I want and adding the F650GS Dakar windscreen, something that works without getting rid of my stock key switch is the puzzle.

Who's the idiot that built that bike?

Actually there is a guy on eBay that sells upper t-clamps for the 650L that has the key holder. You can get it with standard or fat bar mounts and with or without a stabilizer mount. I bought one of these a few months ago for my Transalp that has 650L forks.

KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 11-19-2009 at 05:39 PM
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #10318
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

That 600 is a sweet bike, I'm a little confused on the pictures posted above, did you add a keyed ignition on the 600? Or are the second two pictures from the AfricaAlp? Your 600 cockpit is what I'm after, time allowing, with the Dakar windscreen and Buell headlight, if they don't suck. I originally posted the question to see if anyone has this type of instrumentation with the stock key switch or if there is a key relocating solution that doesn't compromise antitheft.

Also, that speedometer you got, I like that it has the turn signals and the "N" lights built in, you like it too?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #10319
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
That 600 is a sweet bike, I'm a little confused on the pictures posted above, did you add a keyed ignition on the 600? Or are the second two pictures from the AfricaAlp? Your 600 cockpit is what I'm after, time allowing, with the Dakar windscreen and Buell headlight, if they don't suck. I originally posted the question to see if anyone has this type of instrumentation with the stock key switch or if there is a key relocating solution that doesn't compromise antitheft.

Also, that speedometer you got, I like that it has the turn signals and the "N" lights built in, you like it too?
The pictures above are from my new RallyeAlp project, I thought you were looking for an upper t-clamp that has a spot for the key switch.
The AceWell computer is a nice unit, it's all aluminum and totally waterproof.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #10320
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
The pictures above are from my new RallyeAlp project, I thought you were looking for an upper t-clamp that has a spot for the key switch.
The AceWell computer is a nice unit, it's all aluminum and totally waterproof.
Where can we see more pictures of your RallyeAlp? I enjoyed reading about your AfricaAlp and mini-Dakar builds, you got some cool shit, thanks for sharing.

My problem now is I have the RSW billet triple clamp with the bar risers and the key switch is awkward to use, I'd like to add more instruments but that puts the key switch in a worse place, fishing for ideas I guess I was, thanks for your reply.